Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #181
bikerlt
Banned

Oddometer: 60
John, I'll add a couple of closer shots of the fender mounts and also how I tucked the taillight/license assembly into the 'glovebox'.

Essentially what I did was fab a sheet metal frame with legs visually hidden behind the shocks and mounted on the bottom shock mounts. The front of that frame is mounted to the swingarm axis tube. The modified fender is mounted to this frame. A photo will explain it better.

No two versions of this would end up the same. I just grease penciled the contour that I wanted onto the rear fender and jigsawed it. It's a fine grade of fiberglass so it took a wet sanding and couple coats of gloss black really well. I have a pretty good eye so I duplicated the contour of the taillight and cut that contour out of the back of the 'glovebox'. With a little more fitment here and there I gasketed the ID of the cut I just made in the glovebox with 1/8 thinwall black gasline, and bolted the taillight assembly to the frame below it. Once I got done with it all, I opened a beer and stood back and like you noticed, the signal stalks were now out of proportion to the overall look. I lopped a bit of length from the front and rear ones.

This is all seat of the pants stuff. Never any plans and minimal measurement. I have a pretty good personal workshop with drill press, lathe, tig welder, and many power tools. Everything I own eventually gets modified. I remember when I first got this bike I detailed and waxed it and sometimes found myself just admiring it parked in the garage or on a street. The R65 really does have classic lines. I remember doing the same with a green with blue detail Bianchi racing bicycle for a while after I bought it. I think a lot of us here can relate.

Funny thing is that I actually despise typical fashion accoutrements on bikes - extra chrome, billet goodies, lights, tassels and whatnots. Its more satisfying to me to tweak the overall basic lines and balance just to personalize it. I wouldn't disagree with anyone who decided for themselves that it's ideally beautiful in its stock form. I wouldn't even be offended if they thought my tinkering was an abomination. It's just personal stuff.

Anyway, thanks for that approval. I'll put up some close shots and you can decide if it's anything you want to get into. It's not a performance mod. In fact there is theoretically a little less protection from water slinging with the smaller fender, but nothing I've been able to notice. It's been this way for about five years. One could argue that the sheet metal frame, fender, and mounting hardware are now additions to rear unsprung weight. But it's shaft drive BMW. This is not a really significant addition there.

Oh, one other little mod I did was to take all the fasteners that were visible elements to a metric fastener distributor near me (grand rapids mi) and duplicated them in high grade SS allen socket heads. Most were standard head but a few looked better in domed head. There were also quite a few mounting holes all over these bikes for aftermarket stuff like a second front brake caliper, rear luggage racks, etc. I snapped black nylon 'christmas tree' fasteners (from any auto parts store) into the blank holes. These are also really excellent for mounting license plates.

Honest, I'm not fanatic. This is just fifteen years of accumulated muckin about when an idea presents itself.

bikerlt screwed with this post 10-02-2008 at 08:31 PM
bikerlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:57 AM   #182
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlt
snip.

You click on them to enlarge them full screen, just in case there is anyone out there unaware of that. (i just added a reminder above)

snip

! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

uuuuuunnnnnhhhnh...... I just learned something...... Sorry for the crack about the photos................I can see MUCH better now

Old 10-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #183
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm
! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

uuuuuunnnnnhhhnh...... I just learned something...... Sorry for the crack about the photos................I can see MUCH better now

I love the way you learn stuff! Its like watching gears turn. You know way more than me about some things... but man its entertaining to watch the light bulb go on. Great attitude
Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #184
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
I love the way we learn stuff! For other folks it's like watching gears turn. Some folks know way more than others about different things... but man its entertaining to watch the light bulb go on. Great attitude
Sorry Jason, I couldn't resist editing your post, but that's what I love about Old's cool ... the exchange of ideas

Cheers

John
Old 10-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #185
bikerlt
Banned

Oddometer: 60
I don't know if it's always simple, but cheap has always been an abiding goal. It's more satisfying that way.

More in line with the spirit of this forum, I've always tried to look toward
'shadetree friendly' ideas. Someone mentioned the oil filter and that is a long overdue mod that I've never gotten around to. It wouldn't take too much to fab an adapter that would simply bolt into the three holes and allow a tiny spin on filter. I researched it once to find out what one of the most common mini spin ons would be. It was something like a mazda pickup truck filter if I recall that you could buy at any WalMart. I just loved the idea of being able to replace it on the road, and at 1/5 the cost, anywhere on earth (practically). Fabbed right, the filter itself would just tuck in next to the frame tube and not be too visible or vulnerable.

If I were going to adventure tour with this I'd also tweak the air filter box to accept a more common square filter. There are dozens of more common types out there that are a close enough fit. The headlamp that I mentioned earlier is another example. It's an off the shelf Sylvania from any autoparts store that just drops in place of all the expensive OEM innards and even uses the same wiring harness unmodified. All you have to do is sand down three glass nibs off of the face of it that were originally meant for alignment.

I saw a thread somewhere (was it here?) that ran down a list of non oem alternatives for boxers such as coils, plugs, batteries, electronics, etc. With apologies to the dealerships out there. I'm glad you're there when I need you, and I'd like to support you when I can. But you just don't have the hours or location of WalMarts and Autozones.
bikerlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #186
elmoreman OP
takin' a break, boss

Oddometer: 1,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlt
I saw a thread somewhere (was it here?) that ran down a list of non oem alternatives for boxers such as coils, plugs, batteries, electronics, etc. With apologies to the dealerships out there. I'm glad you're there when I need you, and I'd like to support you when I can. But you just don't have the hours or location of WalMarts and Autozones.
That would be the "Dark Secrets Revealed" sticky.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:08 AM   #187
bpeckm
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44
I think this defeats the original intent of moving the ground. The speedo bolt at the transmission is known to strip. The less times you have to loosen/tighten the speedo bolt the better.

Ok, so at the risk of looking stupid and having to learn something else today (which totally taxes the feeble brainium), I will ask the question:

Do most people remove the ground strap at the tranny?

I have always removed it from the battery: a) it's easier b) I dont like have a "live" neutral wire dangling around that could sproing itself over to the frame/motor and become a real neutral again. c) it just seems the right way to do it......

Old 10-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #188
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,888
I disconnect mine at the battery too. And it does seem easier for me.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #189
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
I found a way to avoid the whole Ground wire controversy, by installing a Battery Master Switch between the battery and ground.

It's been in place since 1990 without problems and it also serves as a 'dumb guys' anti-theft device. When I park the bike, I reach behind the side cover and switch the power off. That wat they'll need a truck to steal my bike. (Not that anyones out there looking for old Airheads to steal but it makes me feel better!)

My mechanic keeps telling me that "It's one of those things that'll have you stranded by the side of the road one day!" but I note that he uses it whenever we're screwing around with the bike.

It's a neat thing to have!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 10-08-2008 at 09:34 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:34 AM   #190
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072

[quote=bikerlt]I don't know if it's always simple, but cheap has always been an abiding goal. It's more satisfying that way.

More in line with the spirit of this forum, I've always tried to look toward
'shadetree friendly' ideas. Someone mentioned the oil filter and that is a long overdue mod that I've never gotten around to. It wouldn't take too much to fab an adapter that would simply bolt into the three holes and allow a tiny spin on filter. I researched it once to find out what one of the most common mini spin ons would be. It was something like a mazda pickup truck filter if I recall that you could buy at any WalMart. I just loved the idea of being able to replace it on the road, and at 1/5 the cost, anywhere on earth (practically). Fabbed right, the filter itself would just tuck in next to the frame tube and not be too visible or vulnerable. I believe Motoren_Israel makes an adapter. Expensive. I like your idea better.

If I were going to adventure tour with this I'd also tweak the air filter box to accept a more common square filter. There are dozens of more common types out there that are a close enough fit. I met an old Guzzi rider who used Toyota truck filters he sectioned and glued together. Haven't tried that one yet. The headlamp that I mentioned earlier is another example. It's an off the shelf Sylvania from any autoparts store that just drops in place of all the expensive OEM innards and even uses the same wiring harness unmodified. All you have to do is sand down three glass nibs off of the face of it that were originally meant for alignment.

I saw a thread somewhere (was it here?) that ran down a list of non oem alternatives for boxers such as coils, plugs, batteries, electronics, etc. With apologies to the dealerships out there. I'm glad you're there when I need you, and I'd like to support you when I can. But you just don't have the hours or location of WalMarts and Autozones.www.ibmwr.org They have a subsitute parts list there. Anton has cross-referenced bearings on his site also. [/quote]

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 02:01 AM   #191
DucatiPete
In denial

Oddometer: 162
unifilters look good

If you're looking for an alternative airhead airfilter i'd recommend you check out unifilter. They make a 'square' oiled-foam replacement for post 81 bms which is a rebuilt oem filter - therefore no issues with fitment that i believe other after-market products have.
I've got one but then bought 4 oem filters off mad-bid-bay for $40 so I'll probably hold off installing it until I'm going bush for an extended period.
They also do the round filters for earlier beemers (I'm going to get one for my /5). As well as for a bunch of other machines.
http://www.uniflow.com.au/
I've got no relationship with them, just a satisfied customer.
1973 R75/5 - Black Beauty - love @ 1st ride
1972 Ducati Sport - must look at the 'ol girl again soon
DucatiPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #192
bpeckm
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok
I found a way to avoid the whole Ground wire controversy, by installing a Battery Master Switch between the battery and ground.

It's been in place since 1990 without problems and it also serves as a 'dumb guys' anti-theft device. When I park the bike, I reach behind the side cover and switch the power off. That wat they'll need a truck to steal my bike. (Not that anyones out there looking for old Airheads to steal but it makes me feel better!)

My mechanic keeps telling me that "It's one of those things that'll have you stranded by the side of the road one day!" but I note that he uses it whenever we're screwing around with the bike.

It's a neat thing to have!
I have thought of that, looks like you have a nice and neatly done execution.

BUT, what would scare me most would be that the switch might somehow get shut off when the engine is running, and there would be hell to pay with fried wiring/relays/diodes/alternator.........
Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #193
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,507
K&N Filters?

Yes, it appears there's no denying K&N filters pass more grunge than stock BMW pleated element filters.

Thing is, stock BMW filters for post-81 bikes are $50 up here in Canada. $50 for an air filter!?!

Buddy of mine has figured out how to adapt a $6 Fram pleated filter into his stock BMW filter core once the stock paper element has been cut out.

I love this stuff.

I'll post some pics when I take them, but the system works great and is done much better and more cleverly than it first sounds.

In the mean time I'm going to add a layer of oiled foam to the top of my K&N filter!

At least until I stumble across a core donor stock filter.

ymmv,
Lornce
(cheapest Airhead you'll ever meet)
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:03 AM   #194
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,462
I've been pondering this issue, having just returned from a 2-day trip mostly on very dry dusty dirt roads. With the cost of stock filters, what's and airhead to do? Can a pleated paper filter be washed somehow? could I adapt some sort of oiled foam pre-filter?

I can't imagine having to changed filter more than once a season, but I also hate the thought of not being able to clean it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Yes, it appears there's no denying K&N filters pass more grunge than stock BMW pleated element filters.

Thing is, stock BMW filters for post-81 bikes are $50 up here in Canada. $50 for an air filter!?!

Buddy of mine has figured out how to adapt a $6 Fram pleated filter into his stock BMW filter core once the stock paper element has been cut out.

I love this stuff.

I'll post some pics when I take them, but the system works great and is done much better and more cleverly than it first sounds.

In the mean time I'm going to add a layer of oiled foam to the top of my K&N filter!

At least until I stumble across a core donor stock filter.

ymmv,
Lornce
(cheapest Airhead you'll ever meet)

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:39 AM   #195
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeslack
... Can a pleated paper filter be washed somehow?
... just a thought, but if the filter is SNAFU you've got nothing to loose.

What about flushing it through with de-natured alcohol. Obviously you'd want to pour the alcohol on from the "clean" side.

Failing that check out DucatiPete's post regarding uniflow filters here

... sorry, if I'm talking crap, but it's late

John