Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #196
bikerlt
Banned

Oddometer: 60
I actually like that idea of a foam prefilter. I don't know about oiled tho. Maybe some other substance that would help trap dirt without otherwise migrating to the paper below (which would defeat the purpose of adding something to extend the life of your paper filter)

I Like your battery switch install. I did the same thing years ago for two main reasons. I wanted to be 100 percent certain of cutting any parasitic drains when the bike was off, and I'm pathologically predisposed to locking my keys in my car or losing them outright. I just knew that someday it was going going to be a matter of not when, but how soon it happened with my bike and left me stranded (and hacking into the wiring harness on the side of the road).

I got a nice version at a pleasure boating store. A battery main switch is a common watercraft item and

installs under the tank pretty easily. Rated from 300amps on up! The fact that it thwarts thieves (unless they know what to look for) was an added benefit. I use the kill switch at the handlebars and then shut power under the tank instead of with my key. I haven't worried about keys now for ten years.

Incidentally, it's a good idea for key users to do a little research ahead of time and identify the wires in your harness between the fork clamps that can be hotwired in a real emergency - maybe put a spot of white paint marker on them. I got home by piercing the two of them with a safety pin once (works great), but only after much painstaking, frustrating, and breathtaking (i was very lucky not to blow any fuses or melt any wires) experiment.
bikerlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #197
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
[QUOTE=bikerlt]I actually like that idea of a foam prefilter. I don't know about oiled tho. Maybe some other substance that would help trap dirt without otherwise migrating to the paper below (which would defeat the purpose of adding something to extend the life of your paper filter) [QUOTE]

No no no, bikerlt, my plan was to add a layer of oiled foam to the top of the oiled gauze K&N filter in my GSPD. Not a stock paper filter.

I took the K&N out today to have a look and it was filthy after 6.5K kms. Evidence of muddy water making it past the filter seal around the edge of the airbox, too. Hmmmn...

So I stuck a stock paper filter element (that I didn't even know I still had sitting on the shelf) into the void until I get the $6 Fram filter fix worked out.

Pictures at eleven.

ymmv,
Lornce
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #198
240sx4u
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Regarding the cutoff switch..

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a field wire on the bike that when not energized stops charging?

I just put a remote kill setup in my car per NHRA specs. Its a 200amp continuous rated switch with another pair of terminals to kill power to the field wire of my alternator.

No danger of overvoltage.

Evan
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:07 PM   #199
jbolivar46
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Airhead Replacement Gauges

Anyone know of replacement gauges for the stock set-up on a 77R100S with cable driven gauges? Thanks
jbolivar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:37 PM   #200
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,776
If you have stock gauges in mind, then eBay's your friend. Otherwise, try the Trail Tech site.
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #201
jbolivar46
n00b

Oddometer: 3
replacement gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by opposedcyljunkie
If you have stock gauges in mind, then eBay's your friend. Otherwise, try the Trail Tech site.
I'd be looking for something retro in style, chrome or black.
jbolivar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:28 AM   #202
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sx4u
Regarding the cutoff switch..

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a field wire on the bike that when not energized stops charging?

I just put a remote kill setup in my car per NHRA specs. Its a 200amp continuous rated switch with another pair of terminals to kill power to the field wire of my alternator.

No danger of overvoltage.

Evan
Yes, there is a field wire....

and that is exactly the danger of using a simple neutral cutoff switch. IF you were to accidentally shutoff your neutral while the bike is running (and I mean using the simple switch with no field cutoff) you would fry your diode board for sure, and perhaps do other electrical baddies.....

That is why the safety shutdowns used in racing, hotrods etc have a separte field cutoff. It willl shut off the ignition with no electrical side effects.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #203
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
Gargen Tractor Batteries

The trouble with most garden tractor batteries is that they vent through the caps. This eventually destroys every metal part around it. make sure you get one that is gang-vented via a vent tube.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:33 AM   #204
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
Good point , wrench.

IMHO , on our Beemers the main advantage of the high priced Odesssy type gel batteries is the lack OF white fuzz on the nether regions of the bike.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #205
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
R80G/S fork fill'n

This probably works on other forks too.

Take that hand pump brake bleeder that you found makes a bigger mess than just letting it fly out of the bleeder. Rig it up so it's pressurizing the cup and forcing the fluid out. Grab the measuring cup out of the kitchen (when the wife/girlfriend/domestic partner isn't looking) or your ratio right if you can find it. Measure out however much the book says and pour it in the brake bleeder cup. Take the tube coming off the cup and stick it into the top of the fork where the allen head screw was, and pump it up till the fluid flows and fills up the fork. It's a lot faster, less mess, and you know exactly how much you got in it.

I found it's better to pressurize the cup rather than pump it or suck it out as you get more of the fork oil out and into the fork.

Oh, and just because i'm under the battery debate:

I've got a Sears Diehard in mine. Not a big fan of them as they do exactly that, Die Hard, meaning they give no warning, they just quit. Like the Yusa batteries do. Butttt, in a pinch they work, and if you find yourself in a town with no Wallmart (yeah right), it's another option. Personally, I swear by the OEM BMW batteries. I've had them sit all winter and still work fire the bike up having never seen a charger, never had one just die, and I changed one out of my K75 that was ten years old, just because it was ten years old. But I will go to the Odyssey just because of the off road stuff.

batoutoflahonda screwed with this post 12-04-2008 at 08:25 PM
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:16 AM   #206
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,783
Anybody got a cheap simple fix for the miserably thin stock footpegs on my '84 R80G/S PD. Any easy swaps with serrated japan pegs / other fixes

Thinking about welding bits on the originals as another option.

Thanks in advance.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:21 AM   #207
The Cougar
Barry Dawson's Twin

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan
Anybody got a cheap simple fix for the miserably thin stock footpegs on my '84 R80G/S PD. Any easy swaps with serrated japan pegs / other fixes

Thinking about welding bits on the originals as another option.

Thanks in advance.
Dave,

PM Johno as he had welded up some serrated footpegs for his R100GSPD that do the trick.
The Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #208
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,998
fastway pegs are about a hundred, fit other bikes (you can keep the pegs if you trade) and you can go back to original without cutting/welding.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 AM   #209
Cirbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlt
I actually like that idea of a foam prefilter. I don't know about oiled tho. Maybe some other substance that would help trap dirt without otherwise migrating to the paper below (which would defeat the purpose of adding something to extend the life of your paper filter)
http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...cessories.html

Even has your choice of filtering ability.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:58 AM   #210
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,783
[quote=Lornce][quote=bikerlt]I actually like that idea of a foam prefilter. I don't know about oiled tho. Maybe some other substance that would help trap dirt without otherwise migrating to the paper below (which would defeat the purpose of adding something to extend the life of your paper filter)
Quote:

No no no, bikerlt, my plan was to add a layer of oiled foam to the top of the oiled gauze K&N filter in my GSPD. Not a stock paper filter.

I took the K&N out today to have a look and it was filthy after 6.5K kms. Evidence of muddy water making it past the filter seal around the edge of the airbox, too. Hmmmn...

So I stuck a stock paper filter element (that I didn't even know I still had sitting on the shelf) into the void until I get the $6 Fram filter fix worked out.

Pictures at eleven.

ymmv,
Lornce
There is also the unifliter 2 stage air filter - washsable - just got one for my G/S Project.
I don't know how well they work but I like the idea.

Heres the project

I haven't fired her up yet.

davorallyfan screwed with this post 12-19-2008 at 01:10 AM
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote