Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 06:44 AM   #211
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,466
I've been wanting a washable filter or pre-filter other than K&N (which I keep hearing bad things about...).

Do you have a part no for the Uni?

[quote=davorallyfan][quote=Lornce]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlt
I actually like that idea of a foam prefilter. I don't know about oiled tho. Maybe some other substance that would help trap dirt without otherwise migrating to the paper below (which would defeat the purpose of adding something to extend the life of your paper filter)

There is also the unifliter 2 stage air filter - washsable - just got one for my G/S Project.
I don't know how well they work but I like the idea.

Heres the project

I haven't fired her up yet.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:55 AM   #212
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,838
[quote=Gimmeslack]I've been wanting a washable filter or pre-filter other than K&N (which I keep hearing bad things about...).

Do you have a part no for the Uni?

[quote=davorallyfan]

This is not so easy for me to answer as I bought the bilke with a crumbling dry unifilter. I rung them up and they said they would refurbish it. So I sent them the mesh frame and crumbled old filter and they put a new one in.

They need the old one, now I'm not sure if the stock filter for the R80G/S uses the wire mesh type arrangement If not, you probably need to buy that from Unifilter

Heres what they sent back.

I hope this helps... but I'm doubtfull

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #213
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 974
Lazy cleaner

OK, I am lazy. One of the reason I ride old BMWs is that they dont have a bunch of chrome and flash. Dont get me wrong I love the simplicity and wont ride another bike no matter how much money I had.

That said, I have 3 kids, live off of a dirt road and have livestock to take care of. The last thing I need to do is spend hours cleaning a bike. I have recently purchased a 77 R100 that had been sitting more 8 years, got it running and runs like a top. Looks like hammered dog poo. Have spayed it down with Simple Green, degreaser and carb cleaner to get some of the years of junk off, have even scrubbed on it some—to no avail.

Need a simple and effective way to do a final cleaning on the heads and such where some of that stuff just wont come clean. Dont want it to shine, but would like it look clean.

Any suggestions that might involve sand-blasting with beads or soda that I can do with most of the cables and such still attached to the bike, and the rubber pieces without harming them? What can I use to mask, I use foil when doing some frame touch-up? Anyone have a quick lazy-mans solution for cleaning up these old airheads?
Old 12-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #214
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaddleSoar
OK, I am lazy.
Need a simple and effective way to do a final cleaning on the heads and such where some of that stuff just wont come clean. Dont want it to shine, but would like it look clean.

Anyone have a quick lazy-mans solution for cleaning up these old airheads?
How old are your kids? Kid elbow grease is free and easy. For you.

Stay away from blasting. The grit goes into bad places.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #215
CurlyMike
Formerly SaddleSoar

Oddometer: 974
too young to help and do any good, and big to really mess something up. I have scrubbed pretty good, some of the stuff is pretty baked on.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:14 AM   #216
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 8,032
Aluminum screen door cleaner works well. It doesn't look like it at first, but the more oxidation that comes off, the more it bubbles and fizzes and the bigger bite it takes. Don't let it dry; after five or ten minutes wash off and re-apply. Also, gently use a wire brush or steel wool to break up the oxidation. There are aluminum or mag wheel cleaners that do a good job too - I believe they're the ones that say "not for clear coated wheels".

All this might be listed in the tips and tricks sticky.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #217
RandyB

Wear gloves. Hydrofluoric acid will kill you. Mean stuff, even diluted.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
Old 12-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #218
Rucksta
SS Blowhard

Oddometer: 2,658
Wire

If using wire brushes wheels or steel wool ensure it i stainless steel otherwise staining will result.
Phosphoric acid was my favourite strong cleaner before I got over that hump and figured out a cleaning routine that works.

Acids & Caustics produce by products that continue to ooze from the pores of the alloy after a run. When you get it clean use a car wash & wax product to build layers of protection and spray a tyre shine around to give rubber, plastic , frame paint & alloy that "new" look. It washes of but makes the next clean easier.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:58 PM   #219
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
Cautionary note before using tire shine on bike tires: Many types of tire dressing will migrate through the rubber onto the tread at the edges, where you least need loss of grip.

I had some tire dressing do that on a set of Dunlops and damned near wiped me and the bike out just tooling around at a reasonable pace.

It ain't like using it on car tires.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #220
thjakits
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Cool2

Hi all,

if you lust after that new tire look, forget about the shiny/shiny approach.
So far the best solution I found is about 3 gallons of water (3/4 bucket) and about 1/2 shot of Armoral in it. (Mix less if you care - this is what I use for the mix-ratio ....)
Mix well and wipe the tires with a wetted rag.

This gives the rubber a like new clean look but avoids the shiny glossy appearance of pure Armoral. Besides that stuff eats your tires if you bath them regularly with it. Watered down it seems to work just right...

M2Cs

thjakits
thjakits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:36 AM   #221
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by camgregus
fastway pegs are about a hundred, fit other bikes (you can keep the pegs if you trade) and you can go back to original without cutting/welding.
Yeah fastways look good so too pivots but they are very exy here in OZ - I did this against your good advice.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:41 AM   #222
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
it seems that uni use stock air filter, remove the paper and put their soft material instead of paper. Why not doing the same with a foam from car ?

I've heard that some automotive air filters do the job (Ford Fiesta ?)
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #223
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,429
Those grey ignition coils that seem to crack, then get wet when you get caught in the rain, well mine did it too, sitting on the side of the 4 lane in the rain is no fun.

Being the cheap ass that i am i did not want to use a Harley coil and i have a couple, i am just saving them.
so i took the cracked BMW coil silicone caulked the cracks wiped off all the excess let it dry wiped her down with laquer thinner and then painted the coil with rubber coat spray bomb, gave it a couple of coats and all is well.
ChromeSux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #224
RandyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeSux
Those grey ignition coils that seem to crack, then get wet when you get caught in the rain, well mine did it too, sitting on the side of the 4 lane in the rain is no fun.

Being the cheap ass that i am i did not want to use a Harley coil and i have a couple, i am just saving them.
so i took the cracked BMW coil silicone caulked the cracks wiped off all the excess let it dry wiped her down with laquer thinner and then painted the coil with rubber coat spray bomb, gave it a couple of coats and all is well.
Dry it in the oven on low heat for about 30 mins first.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:25 PM   #225
Dirtyboydeadly
AKA. Shineyboydudley

Oddometer: 444
hi guys i have a r100 and im cafe racering it. I have braced the swing arm and want to post some pics on here but cant work out how to attach pics to my post
Dirtyboydeadly is offline   Reply With Quote