User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2009, 05:42 AM   #256
mikyheimann
Miky

Oddometer: 17
Works well

I put this kit on my bike - very good midrange - a big difference to the original 800cc.
works well with 800 heads and carbs, a little extra comp ratio more than the original 1000 pays dividends. I recomend.
miky
mikyheimann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #257
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyheimann
I put this kit on my bike - very good midrange - a big difference to the original 800cc.
works well with 800 heads and carbs, a little extra comp ratio more than the original 1000 pays dividends. I recomend.
miky
Thank you, todah.

I have only spoken to one other and they swear by this as the mod that gave the most (not necessarily the best bang for the buck) performance and kept things reliable.

Thank you - next topic
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #258
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
If you have one of those emergency oil cooler bypass blocks, make sure it fits and works before you need it. Mine required about 15 minutes on a bench grinder to get it to fit my GS. I would have starved to death trying to file it with a Gerber tool.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #259
co_g30
Solo Rider

Oddometer: 323
ensuring 'not too loose' valve lash clearances

I've always tried and achieve the "just a slight drag" effect from my feeler gauges when checking/adjusting my beemers' valves during services.

I was the right feel the first time, but over the last 46K miles I've apparently gotten looser and looser in terms of valve lash clearances.

For those of you who have done this service, you know how subjective and uncertain the achieving of the "just a slight drag" can be. Specially if you don't do this very often....like say every week or more.

The last one I did, caused issues, which led me to take my beemer to an indie mechanic who informed me I was setting the valve clearances way loose.

Perusing the web, I finally found a way to "quantify" and ensure the valve lash clearance is correct and "not too loose".

It's all in this blog posting: LINK

I adjusted my R80's valves, which I found too loose, this morning and can say with certainty now that the engine is quieter (less clattery) and she runs sweetly.

So don't go with the "loose valves are happy valves" mantra as I did, you can achieve quieter valves.

Note: there's still a very low ticking noise, but I have to really listen for it now with my helmet off, before I could hear it with the helmet on!
co_g30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #260
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,499
i do use the next up feeler gauge to see how it fits. Usually, though the next one up gives you just a slightly more draggy feel than the desired one, so I figure if I cant fit the 2nd one up, then its pretty good. A little loose is better than a little tight.
I use 6 and 8 intake/exhaust so my go/no go for the intake is the exhaust feeler.

Seems pretty clattery, nonetheless. I suck at valves, but they haven't blown up, yet, and the measurements dont migrate all that much on the new heads. The old heads at 90K would move a lot from when I set them to the next adjust.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:27 AM   #261
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,261
any idea what car this is supposed to fit? i can't find anything from fram stateside with that number.

also, randyb mentioned a toyota truck filter that would work? any specifics there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfit
This car air filter fit's straight into plastic housing (post 1981 airhead's), once you have cut the old one out. It is a FRAM CA5205.

I have been using this for the last 15 yrs and many 1000's of mile's with no problem's what-so-ever. They cost a 1/4.
Safe riding Karl.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #262
RandyB

Oddometer: 5,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
also, randyb mentioned a toyota truck filter that would work? any specifics there?
I can't remember where I saw that. I stole it from another site or thread. It's buried in the original post.

I know two old Moto Guzzi guys who section out the middle of truck filters. I may be that cheap.

Blessed be the Lord my God, who prepares my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #263
outfit
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
any idea what car this is supposed to fit? i can't find anything from fram stateside with that number.

You may not have these Ford model's in the U.S? Maybe a similar model?
http://www.sogefifilterdivision.com/...e=FRAM&lang=GB

Mmmm, it's not down loading the site so maybe Fram is not recognised in the U.S. The Ford model's are Fiesta injection and diesel. If you scroll to the number you'll see the car model.

Safe riding Karl.

outfit screwed with this post 04-02-2009 at 04:59 PM
outfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 08:58 AM   #264
bmwblake
upside down parker

thanks karl. looks like in the US that translates to the following:
a 1993 ford festiva/fiesta/aspire fits the bill.
the part on fram's US site is listed as part ca6867. i'll see if i can find one locally and report back.

Quote:
You may not have these Ford model's in the U.S? Maybe a similar model?
http://www.sogefifilterdivision.com/...e=FRAM&lang=GB

Mmmm, it's not down loading the site so maybe Fram is not recognised in the U.S. The Ford model's are Fiesta injection and diesel. If you scroll to the number you'll see the car model.

Safe riding Karl.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #265
outfit
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
thanks karl. looks like in the US that translates to the following:
a 1993 ford festiva/fiesta/aspire fits the bill.
the part on fram's US site is listed as part ca6867. i'll see if i can find one locally and report back.
You've got me interested now. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Safe riding Karl.
outfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 AM   #266
opposedcyljunkie
Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by co_g30
I've always tried and achieve the "just a slight drag" effect from my feeler gauges when checking/adjusting my beemers' valves during services.
I ahve no issues with my clearances. It's the rocker play that's driving me nuts. No matter how much I try to perfect the shimming, it gets noisy again after a few hundred miles.

I just try to use the best earplugs I can find
05 Yamaha Fazer FZS-1000
07 R1200GS
opposedcyljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #267
bmwblake
upside down parker

the cross reference didn't turn out to fit. i did find another option. i'll be working on it tonight and will post pics. i hope nobody ran out and picked up an incorrect filter.

Quote:
You've got me interested now. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Safe riding Karl.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #268
WIsixfitty
ceiling unlimited

Oddometer: 1,942
Great thread as I just read the whole thing.

A co-worker just informed me today his wife's grandfather just died leaving a 75 90/6, 79 R100RT and 90 K100RT behind in the regions around Tulsa, OK.

He wants to sell the last two and get the 75 running but has zero bike or mechanical experience. This is where I come in.

I'll be baack/ [/arnoldvoice]

WIsixfitty screwed with this post 04-14-2009 at 03:26 AM
WIsixfitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #269
bmwblake
upside down parker

the pics aren't worth much and the camera's battery is dead. stp7755 is a pretty close fit, though it does require some trimming on the width. i found it for 9.99 at a local auto parts store. i'll give it a try for a while and see if the inside of the airbox stays clean. i'll post results.

Quote:
the cross reference didn't turn out to fit. i did find another option. i'll be working on it tonight and will post pics. i hope nobody ran out and picked up an incorrect filter.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #270
cvstan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Question How to print out entire thread?

This thread looks great from the perspective of someone looking at buying a mid-eighties airhead. Is there a way I can download and/or print out the entire thread without doing it one page at a time? Thanks. Charlie
cvstan is offline   Reply With Quote