ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #931
RagerToo
vroom vroom
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: NE Oh
Oddometer: 275
front brake hose grommets

34 years and I guess my front brake hoses were 'used too much when they were new'. (The bike is new to me only a bit over a year+. 50k. And a shout to Max's, ordered stuff on Sat. last, got my goods Wed. afternoon, USPS.)

The grommets are tight, well yeah. I put a spot of Kroil on them and proceeded. Shiver me timbers there's the outside groove and there's the inside groove, and I suppose I could have ground a small screwdriver soft and smooth to not mung up the grommet.

Then I remember I had a couple of brass typewriter tools. One has a rounded "seal pic" end on both ends and the other looks just like a rounded down screwdriver on one end.

Installed the grommet in the mounting horseshoe and shoved the new hose end in and carefully pushed the inner lip into the hose end groove, a bit at a time. And alls well.

Noticed the left fork tube (top) is just touching the orig RS headlight mount at lock. Gotta bend it out of the way a touch, or something. I already had adjusted it. Pulled the throttle apart and re-lubed that piece of art.
__________________
'80 R100RS but nekkid
Some folks still insist on going to a gun fight with a popsicle stick sharpened on the driveway.
RagerToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #932
KhaoSanMan
Airhead
 
KhaoSanMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Chico, CA
Oddometer: 568
I just got a new ignition for my GS, an Alpha system from Risk.

I've never timed my bikes before, and I will need to learn. I'm also working on my VW Bug so I need to be able to set the timing for that as well.

My questions is, what is the recommended timing light/dwell meter that you guys suggest I get? I have a friend with a good light, but I figure with al my airhead motors and my brother's and father's it makes sense to get a good light.

Thanks!
__________________
'92 BMW R100R Custom
'95 BMW R100 GS
'77 Rizzato Califfo DeLuxe

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #933
disston
ShadeTreeExpert
 
disston's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Silver Spring, Md
Oddometer: 7,992
Brand is not too important. Better made units will cost more, usually. You want a unit that uses a magnetic pick up. This is the clamp that fits around the plug wire to pick up the signal. Most modern lights will have this but if you buy a used unit on Ebay or something you may get a light that has a spring that fits on top of the spark plug and the signal wire clamps onto this.



Sorry about the size of the image. I have no control of that feature.

This is a standard type timing light. Notice the pick up that is the pink clamp. This unit also does not have an advance control feature, something on more expensive units and that you do not need. Harbor Freight has timing lights for less than $50.

The timing light is hooked to the vehicle battery to get power. There is another type that uses batteries in the light and doesn't cost much more.



I've been thinking of getting one of these. I've seen them for sale at Amazon.com

You mention a "dwell meter". This is something different. It is only used for ignitions with ignition points not electronic.
__________________
.
Never memorize something you can look up.
---Albert Einstein

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 AM   #934
KhaoSanMan
Airhead
 
KhaoSanMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Chico, CA
Oddometer: 568
Thank you Disston!

I bet the Harbor Freight light will be more than sufficient for my needs, I just wanted to check if there might be any major issues with them or if there was a preferred light to that one.
__________________
'92 BMW R100R Custom
'95 BMW R100 GS
'77 Rizzato Califfo DeLuxe

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #935
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer
 
Les_Garten's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoSanMan View Post
Thank you Disston!

I bet the Harbor Freight light will be more than sufficient for my needs, I just wanted to check if there might be any major issues with them or if there was a preferred light to that one.

Just a thought, but if you get a computerized timing light you can measure exactly how many degrees you are set at. FYI.
__________________
<<This is my Airhead, there are many like it, but this one is mine>>
My "Orange Snappy Club" Membership Photo
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #936
RagerToo
vroom vroom
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: NE Oh
Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Garten View Post
Just a thought, but if you get a computerized timing light you can measure exactly how many degrees you are set at. FYI.
Do you find that, I assume, what you have, is accurate?

I have a 25-30 yr old light, with a pot/ dial for advance. Probably a no-name by now, it was from when they were first coming out. I've never relied on the advance readings to be accurate. Mostly used to just find a mark that was way out of spec. I'm not even sure I've timed my bike with it yet.
__________________
'80 R100RS but nekkid
Some folks still insist on going to a gun fight with a popsicle stick sharpened on the driveway.
RagerToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #937
Les_Garten
Studly Adventurer
 
Les_Garten's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Location: PSL, FL
Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerToo View Post
Do you find that, I assume, what you have, is accurate?

I have a 25-30 yr old light, with a pot/ dial for advance. Probably a no-name by now, it was from when they were first coming out. I've never relied on the advance readings to be accurate. Mostly used to just find a mark that was way out of spec. I'm not even sure I've timed my bike with it yet.
This is like the one I have and it is very handy.



Usually go around $75-$125 on Fleabay. I've had mine about 25 years or so.
__________________
<<This is my Airhead, there are many like it, but this one is mine>>
My "Orange Snappy Club" Membership Photo
Les_Garten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #938
RagerToo
vroom vroom
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: NE Oh
Oddometer: 275
Aha! Shweet. I have my bike, a fully computerized (ford) Contour and my service truck, a plain, vanilla '91 Super Duty (F450), 7.3L NA diesel.

The next thing I'll need a light for will be my 8000lb Hyster project. (oh ghod)
__________________
'80 R100RS but nekkid
Some folks still insist on going to a gun fight with a popsicle stick sharpened on the driveway.
RagerToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:21 AM   #939
motu
Loose Pre Unit
 
motu's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: New Zealand
Oddometer: 4,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by disston View Post

There is another type that uses batteries in the light and doesn't cost much more.



I've been thinking of getting one of these.
After decades of timing lights and wires to clip to batteries, getting one of these cheap things is the best thing I've done for timing.

Timing advance worked best on the old big box tunescopes - you could dial up the degrees on the screen and know it was pretty accurate, the ones with the dial on the end I wouldn't trust....but push button electronic like the Snap-On are real good.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:00 AM   #940
RagerToo
vroom vroom
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: NE Oh
Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
After decades of timing lights and wires to clip to batteries, getting one of these cheap things is the best thing I've done for timing.

Timing advance worked best on the old big box tunescopes - you could dial up the degrees on the screen and know it was pretty accurate, the ones with the dial on the end I wouldn't trust....but push button electronic like the Snap-On are real good.
A friend _has_ one of those _tunescopes_. SUN brand if I'm not mistaken. Big ole' dial on it, has it mostly as a display, I doubt he's ever used it.
__________________
'80 R100RS but nekkid
Some folks still insist on going to a gun fight with a popsicle stick sharpened on the driveway.
RagerToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #941
larrylarry75
Nacho Mama
 
larrylarry75's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Southern OR coast
Oddometer: 300
electrical power upgrade?

Hi People,

I've just adopted a '92 Bumblebee and the PO said the power system had been upgraded for a higher capacity. How do you check for something like that? It has factory heated grips and that seems to be it in the way of accessories. There's a power outlet for running a heated vest or maybe gloves? My vest heats up so I know it's working. I'm just learning my way around this beastie and I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

LL75

larrylarry75 screwed with this post 04-25-2014 at 10:09 AM
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:27 AM   #942
boxerboy81
Stay Horizontal
 
boxerboy81's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Melbourne, Oz
Oddometer: 2,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylarry75 View Post
Hi People,

I've just adopted a '92 Bumblebee and the PO said the power system had been upgraded for a higher capacity. How do you check for something like that? It has factory heated grips and that seems to be it in the way of accessories. There's a power outlet for running a heated vest or maybe gloves? My vest heats up so I know it's working. I'm just learning my way around this beastie and I'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks,

LL75
After you disconnect the battery earth at the battery, pull the front cover and check if the alternator looks new. The question probably belongs in it's own thread as this one is more for telling "tips & tricks".
boxerboy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:48 AM   #943
Skyshadow
Tree hugger
 
Skyshadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: By the hemlock tree on top of a hill
Oddometer: 618
didn't want to start a new thread...but have a good tip. Every year or two, undo the exhaust fins and reapply antiseize to the threads. My G/S had been out in the weather quite a bit and got some rust here and there. The fin nuts? they spun right off just recently.

no sense risking damaged threads.
__________________
-Flying Donut Motorcycle Club where half the fun is not having fun at all. If you agree you are a member and continuing the legacy of a great man. In memory of Vineyarder

-You ride a Harley, BMW, KTM.....that's cool!! Always great to be on two wheels.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:46 AM   #944
Flying-D
Just Passing Through
 
Flying-D's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Oddometer: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshadow View Post
didn't want to start a new thread...but have a good tip. Every year or two, undo the exhaust fins and reapply antiseize to the threads. My G/S had been out in the weather quite a bit and got some rust here and there. The fin nuts? they spun right off just recently.

no sense risking damaged threads.
I think that's pretty much always been recommended as an annual thing...
__________________
It's really all just stuff...and in the end, none of it means shit.
Flying-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #945
Skyshadow
Tree hugger
 
Skyshadow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Location: By the hemlock tree on top of a hill
Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-D View Post
I think that's pretty much always been recommended as an annual thing...
I heard it occasionally....but more often talk about cutting the nut off or replacing damaged threads prevailed so probably not as common as it should
__________________
-Flying Donut Motorcycle Club where half the fun is not having fun at all. If you agree you are a member and continuing the legacy of a great man. In memory of Vineyarder

-You ride a Harley, BMW, KTM.....that's cool!! Always great to be on two wheels.
Skyshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014