Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #961
JMforPres
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
I love how you lowered the back-end for that low-rider look.

Jon
77 R100RS
"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JMforPres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #962
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMforPres View Post
I love how you lowered the back-end for that low-rider look.
Yeah - he must have installed a track to made sand riding easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WU7X
Could you replace the offending tubing with some aluminium tubing with a similar ID?
I tried that. Had issues with heating the gas from the hot transmission.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #963
hmmmm90s
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Cheap Trick -- Best Trick -- Rustoleum Spray Bedliner

I'll admit I didn't think of this one myself, but I have to vouch for its efficacy (and its cheepnizz).

I have been slowly going through my 1975 R90S to make it useful for every day NoVA combat commuting -- its a bit better suited for cut-and-thrust, lane splitting and an occasional shoulder run than -- ehem -- my larger bike.

This is a low budget project, so I've done my best to work with what I already have, where possible.

I have had a set of mid-80s vintage touring cases sitting on a shelf, but they were -- a little rough.

The bike had taken a slide resting on one of them, the forward corners were ground away from touching them down in curves, and they were generally beat from being bonked off of the pipes -- yellow paint! -- that many DC parking areas use to mark off bike parking areas. In short, they were mechanically functional but UUUUUUUgly.

I remember an inmate claiming this stuff was the bomb, and whoever you were buddy, you were right!

After 5 minutes with a palm sander, about 20 minutes masking the cases off, and about 90 minutes to apply two coats and re-install the lids, I'm ecstatic.

Other than the limitation of my own skills with a spray can -- I got one run -- the Rustoleum brand spray bedliner is the bomb -- these cases look GREAT!

http://1drv.ms/1jJvrWO

I can see this stuff working well for a number of moto uses -- beat lower fairings, side covers, etc -- anyplace where black looks good (Black looks good EVERWHERE -- I'm a biker, 'member?) and where some resistance to bumps and scrapes is needed, this is the hot ticket.

ADVRider is the gift that keeps on giving.....

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83 jefferson, maryland
shamiehg@comcast.net
2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
hmmmm90s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #964
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmm90s View Post
I'll admit I didn't think of this one myself, but I have to vouch for its efficacy (and its cheepnizz).

I have been slowly going through my 1975 R90S to make it useful for every day NoVA combat commuting -- its a bit better suited for cut-and-thrust, lane splitting and an occasional shoulder run than -- ehem -- my larger bike.

This is a low budget project, so I've done my best to work with what I already have, where possible.

I have had a set of mid-80s vintage touring cases sitting on a shelf, but they were -- a little rough.

The bike had taken a slide resting on one of them, the forward corners were ground away from touching them down in curves, and they were generally beat from being bonked off of the pipes -- yellow paint! -- that many DC parking areas use to mark off bike parking areas. In short, they were mechanically functional but UUUUUUUgly.

I remember an inmate claiming this stuff was the bomb, and whoever you were buddy, you were right!

After 5 minutes with a palm sander, about 20 minutes masking the cases off, and about 90 minutes to apply two coats and re-install the lids, I'm ecstatic.

Other than the limitation of my own skills with a spray can -- I got one run -- the Rustoleum brand spray bedliner is the bomb -- these cases look GREAT!

http://1drv.ms/1jJvrWO

I can see this stuff working well for a number of moto uses -- beat lower fairings, side covers, etc -- anyplace where black looks good (Black looks good EVERWHERE -- I'm a biker, 'member?) and where some resistance to bumps and scrapes is needed, this is the hot ticket.

ADVRider is the gift that keeps on giving.....

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83 jefferson, maryland
shamiehg@comcast.net
2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
Looks perfect! Nothing wrong with it!
Old 07-11-2014, 07:54 AM   #965
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,567
H4 bulb funkiness

That last couple of weeks, when I turned the switch ON prior to starting, the headlight didn't come on.... but then did, once I started the bike. I thought, hmm, odd, but thought no more about it....

...until one night after being at a friends for a cookout, the light did not come on... at all. I rode home in the dark, using blinkers to alert cars to my on the much-deserted streets (and caught hell from the wiser-half!)....

I thought it was a relay, switch, whatever, but thought it odd that the blue bright-indicator DID come on when the switch was on HI. Did some basic testing, found full juice at the headlight plug: BOTH hi and low beams were burned out! Filaments looked good, but a resistance test confirmed a both-burned-out bulb. There was a bit of white-ish around the base of the perfectly good looking bulb.

Got a new bulb, and realize that the old bulb was probably original, vintage 1984, and a lot better built than the new one!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #966
TDL028
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
That last couple of weeks, when I turned the switch ON prior to starting, the headlight didn't come on.... but then did, once I started the bike. I thought, hmm, odd, but thought no more about it....

...until one night after being at a friends for a cookout, the light did not come on... at all. I rode home in the dark, using blinkers to alert cars to my on the much-deserted streets (and caught hell from the wiser-half!)....

I thought it was a relay, switch, whatever, but thought it odd that the blue bright-indicator DID come on when the switch was on HI. Did some basic testing, found full juice at the headlight plug: BOTH hi and low beams were burned out! Filaments looked good, but a resistance test confirmed a both-burned-out bulb. There was a bit of white-ish around the base of the perfectly good looking bulb.

Got a new bulb, and realize that the old bulb was probably original, vintage 1984, and a lot better built than the new one!

same thing happened to me-- of course after re-wiring, testing, cursing and almost starting over.. i tried a new bulb and it worked perfectly.. the old bulb looked perfect!?!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #967
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL028 View Post
same thing happened to me-- of course after re-wiring, testing, cursing and almost starting over.. i tried a new bulb and it worked perfectly.. the old bulb looked perfect!?!

Yes, the 'look' of it can be quite misleading, that is why I used my multimeter to check whether the filament was continuous... even though it looked good, it was in fact nfg. New bulb: perfect!
Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #968
Scarred Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post

Probly oughta let BMW know, they'll want to issue a recall. ..
Old 07-11-2014, 05:37 PM   #969
RagerToo
vroom vroom

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
Probly oughta let BMW know, they'll want to issue a recall. ..
Dat mean SixEightFive! since dat made in america bike has a few issues this week.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:17 PM   #970
RagerToo
vroom vroom

Oddometer: 290
broken kill switch 'knob'

As a stopgap repair for a switch of most any kind that has a plastic knob that operates the switch. Find a suitable screw or other metal object, hold it in some pliers and heat it with a small torch. For instance, a soldering iron torch and quickly shove it into what remains of the plastic knob.

I snapped off the turn signal switch lever on my car. The entire assembly is plastic, including the lever and no glue seemed to work. The switch assembly is US$160. Ouch. I used a 4 inch long (patio) deck screw to make a 'new' lever and slipped a piece of Tygon fuel hose over it.

No, it ain't pretty.