ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
12bridn OP
I need throttle therapy

Oddometer: 4,207
Paved Route - Byrdstown TN to Blue Ridge Parkway?

My parents are taking a long weekend to ride the Blue Ridge Pkwy on the Valkyrie. They are staying a night at their cabin on Dale Hollow Lake, and want a route that stays off the interstate and keeps them from being stuck in in-town traffic. Any help would be appreciated.
12bridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
Carl.Custer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Laugh Paved Route - Byrdstown TN to Blue Ridge Parkway?

Tough call.
129, (the Dragon), 144 (RV hell), or I-40 seem to be the only roads across.
They could take I-40, then hop on Rt. 19 and get on the BRP for some of the prettiest part.
Another option would be to go to Tellico Plains, take the Cherohala to Robbinsville. Then it's 143 to 28, to 19/74 to Cherokee and the tip of the BRP.
A bit of the road twixt the Cherohala and Robinsville has some rough pavement but it's paved.

Carl in Bethesda
Carl.Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 AM   #3
12bridn OP
I need throttle therapy

Thanks Carl, but Byrdstown is far north, bout ten miles from KY. I know a few roads between there and I75, but none farther than that. Anyway, besides that, they have already done Deal's Gap and, I believe, Cherohala.

Just one response? I though there were tons of ADVers down there. Am I in the right forum?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #4
tberlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
chill a bit man

Whoa; slow down. Why so impatient? You want folks to dig out the map and locate your parents home and their cabin and plan a route for them based on sketchy info . Things one might want to know are what kind of riding do they do, how far they want to ride in a day, where would they like to end up, camping or hotel, out and back or circuit, etc. I expect lots of people would gladly share their ideas. Just give them a little more to go on. If they might want to cut across WV I can give some ideas.
tom
tberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
12bridn OP
I need throttle therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberlin
Whoa; slow down. Why so impatient? You want folks to dig out the map and locate your parents home and their cabin and plan a route for them based on sketchy info . Things one might want to know are what kind of riding do they do, how far they want to ride in a day, where would they like to end up, camping or hotel, out and back or circuit, etc. I expect lots of people would gladly share their ideas. Just give them a little more to go on. If they might want to cut across WV I can give some ideas.
tom

Not impatient, just wondering if I am in the right forum. The Regional forums are not well defined by area. I think I described what suggestions I wanted clearly enough, and last I checked, WV wasn't on the way to NC from TN.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
ronb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Tell your parents to go east on 325 then take 127 south to 154 east. 154 east to 297 east all the way to jellico. take 25w south to 90 east. follow to middlesboro and pick up 25E south. 25E to 33 east 33 east to 66 south. 66 south to 70 south. 70 south to NC 212 west. NC 212 west to 209 south. follow 209 south to waynesville. pick up 276 south out of waynesville to the blue ridge parkway. this route will by-pass most of the congestion and urban sprawl and be incredibly scenic. roads are challenging so rider beware.
ronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:15 AM   #7
12bridn OP
I need throttle therapy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb
Tell your parents to go east on 325 then take 127 south to 154 east. 154 east to 297 east all the way to jellico. take 25w south to 90 east. follow to middlesboro and pick up 25E south. 25E to 33 east 33 east to 66 south. 66 south to 70 south. 70 south to NC 212 west. NC 212 west to 209 south. follow 209 south to waynesville. pick up 276 south out of waynesville to the blue ridge parkway. this route will by-pass most of the congestion and urban sprawl and be incredibly scenic. roads are challenging so rider beware.
That's what I'm lookin for, thanks. 325 is a hoot, isn't it? You from around there?
Old 09-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #8
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,493
From Byrdstown, take 42 South to Livingston, then 52 East to 85, then 85 SE to 127, South on 127 just a bit to 62 East to Lancing and then 27 South to 61 East just for a mile or two to 95 through the atom bomb preserve (95 is a blast, pun intended).

Highway 95 South will take them down to 411, and from there they can turn right and either take 72 over to 129 and on through Deal's Gap or keep going to 360 and take it to Tellico Plains where they can pick up the Cherry Cola Skyway.
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
ronb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
not from the byrdstown area but i have the privilege of riding in that area a few times a year. a friend of mine based in knoxville has led me through a number of roads in north central and northeastern tennessee. one of those rides where you would take notes on the route if you weren't so busy just keeping it between the ditches.
ronb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
tberlin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12bridn
Not impatient, just wondering if I am in the right forum. The Regional forums are not well defined by area. I think I described what suggestions I wanted clearly enough, and last I checked, WV wasn't on the way to NC from TN.
Sorry; misread your reply as being a bit petulent. True enough the regions tend to overlap. Shoot, i could easily plan a route from N. Tennesee to the BRP through kentucky, Ohio, WV and VA. Anyplace is on the way to somewhere else, eh?. Hope they have a fine trip.
tom
tberlin is offline   Reply With Quote