Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2006, 10:38 AM   #151
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad21
Hey Wachs, what are those doggie panniers you're using? What brand and where did you get 'em?
Yo B - Todd has some Granite Gear doggie bags. I'd look at PetSmart or even Kmart. Cheaper is better on those things, no handles or extra strap features will work the best because you want to run the big strap (the device connecting the bags to each other) under your seat. You might need to sew a strap to hold the bags down on your lower subframe or buddy pegs.

I had a guy make mine for the 640 'cause of the pipe so they're asymetrical. The best part is, they are located under your legs - not way back by your rear tire. You don't need any racks and the weight carries much lower. I can even stand up and 'lean' on the bags for another riding position. You will need some kind of heat deflector on the pipe side or they will melt but it can be super simple. If it seems too hokey, Dirt Bagz is a $200 option that includes the rack. They seem to work pretty well too, it's just more stuff on your bike.

The rear rack then only carries my pad, bag and tent in one duffle strapped on with NR6 rafting straps that will not stretch or loosen up. Not pretty, but it's light and really secure. (Remember the guy that got killed on a bike out by Camp Sherman when one of his saddlebags became entangled in his chain?). I've learned to approach this like you would backpacking - as if you had to carry it. As light and simple as possible, you're going to need fuel each day anyway and will be stopping somewhere for supplies so it's really more of a bivouac than a full-on camp out.

I use an old North Face Steeptech daypack also. It has my hydration and a couple of tool items but is perfect for carrying anything from firewood to . . . well, beer for short distances. Most of the time it only has water in it though.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:51 PM   #152
andyt59
"Thread killer"

Oddometer: 397
Been there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
another sensitive moment

We gotta cross this little playa and head towards Idaho but it’s too much fun and we roll around here wasting fuel and having a blast. The weather is perfect. Last spring this was only 20% dry.

It was quite windy from time to time. Leaving the playa.

We have this system for the gates. Whoever gets there first and has to open it, leave the thing layin’ in the track all sloppy so the last guy knows to close it.

straight as an arrow this section is but the powder is over a foot deep in places. Here comes that Husky again.

And then, in an explosion of talcom, down it goes. Man I wish I’d pulled the trigger on that shot. Nothing damaged but TGs’ pride. quote “What is my problem” - response - ‘It’s not you, this is some hard crap’. And who knows what evil lurked in the depths of the ruts? These have some rocks.

Stihlrigg takes the center hoping to stay out of the ruts.

Now it looks like it’s far enough away but when you hear that thing wound up on the gas and it’s pointed right at you . . . well.

Rare shot of Stihlrigg with foot momentarily off the peg.

The wind is out friend today.

Found this cool line shack to take a break out of the wind.

So I’m in front on this road I’ve never seen before going pretty fast, come around the corner and see all these Harley Guys™ standing around with butt-less pants and give’em a huge, totally obnoxious WHHAAAAAHOOOOOO!. Jump off my bike, grab my camera - one of the guys says something like ‘oh yeah, get out the gps’ sort of sarcastically and run by onto the center of hwy95 and take this picture like a total weirdo. They were riding to Reno for a big party thing.

Been down that verry road. Did you catch the cow carcas back towards Mickey Basin? Been in those ruts, that "Poof Dust" and even that shack at the cow camp. Did you find the hunting mags in the shack to the south of the one you were in? The metal cover you see in the picture is for a diesel generator. Here is my ride report from September:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165860

and when we did it in June:
http://tinyurl.com/mfatj (this is only pictures)

We ought to get together when we do it again next year. It's sort of a yearly tradition we have. In July, I want to do a trip through the area between Burns and John Day.
-Andy

Cluelessness: There are no stupid questions, but there are allot of inquisitive idiots...
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat.
(May the road rise with you.)

andyt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:00 AM   #153
andyt59
"Thread killer"

Oddometer: 397
Why not hard boxes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlRigg
Advice-- Don't bring hard boxes on offroad trips. This was all I had and I knew it would be a problem. The boxes are too wide for most of these tracks. There are many rocks hiding behind the brush. The brush is hanging over the road most of the time and my boxes hit every one of them. When I fell in the rocks; one time the box landed on my leg and I got pinched between the boulders and the box. Several times I dabbed a foot and then almost got my leg caught at speed between the box and a boulder or cutbank. Very scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlRigg

Both TG and Wachs used doggy pannier bags-you know the ones that let a dog carry it's own food when backpacking. They worked great.

When we went in June (http://tinyurl.com/mfatj) several of us ran hard cases with absolutly no problem and the same in Sept. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165860) including chasing Jack rabbits through the brush on the far east side of the Alvord Desert. Never hooked a leg on them. Not once.

-Andy

Cluelessness: There are no stupid questions, but there are allot of inquisitive idiots...
Go n-eírí an bóthar leat.
(May the road rise with you.)

andyt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #154
jmetteer
Filler...

Oddometer: 1,632
Excelent report guys!!

Defenetly on my to do list.

Later,
89 Transalp

"Everything you read on the Internet is true, I know because I read it on the Internet"
jmetteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:52 PM   #155
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 9,830
I hated Oregon until about 20 mins ago. Now because of you guys, now I have to go and see it....
I have seen parts of Oregon before and had taken a few car trips through there and I would have never imagined that it is that beautiful.
The last time I was there I saw THREE cars driving on the road, that were ON FIRE.... not sure what the hell those Oregonians are doin' up there....
at any rate, those pics do an amazing job of making me think I have that silt all over my shirt, sitting here in the office.... they really make you think you're there! Great pics, great trip!!!
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #156
GregInBoulder
Jerry rules. Get over it.

Oddometer: 2,411
Very, very nice.

"Stupid should be painfull" - FatChance
GregInBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:44 PM   #157
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt59

When we went in June (http://tinyurl.com/mfatj) several of us ran hard cases with absolutly no problem and the same in Sept. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165860) including chasing Jack rabbits through the brush on the far east side of the Alvord Desert. Never hooked a leg on them. Not once.

-Andy
The reason I say no hard cases is because of the sage brush and rocks that were bouncing off my cases all day everyday. Judgeing by your photos I would say we were on different trips. I spent most of my time on obsure doubletracks that were barely wider than my boxes. If you rode down the middle you hit rocks if you rode in the track you hit rocks, and brush that was so close to the track you would bounce the boxes off the stuff. I was constantly scanning for rocks hiding behind the brush. Boxes are fine if you stay on the roads that get travelled. I was on alot of roads that had not seen tracks since we were out here in the spring. Try trials riding w/your boxes on and I think you will see my point. Or try falling at low speed in technical rocks and you will know what i am getting at. Boxes are fine for most folks that ride out here but if you want a challenge than the boxes are not the ticket.IMO. I got a hole punched in one of my boxes from a rock that was hiding behind the brush. I hit it at 45 mph or more. It sent me into a tank slapper and I almost crashed big. If you enjoy that sort of thing then by all means use your boxes. I don't want to start an arguement over this, but if you want to keep your boxes attached and not break anything(bones) than I recommend leaving them at home.-Just 1 man's opinion. Take it or leave it. Ride your own ride, and I'll ride mine.
"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
StihlRigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:47 PM   #158
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta
I hated Oregon until about 20 mins ago. Now because of you guys, now I have to go and see it....
I have seen parts of Oregon before and had taken a few car trips through there and I would have never imagined that it is that beautiful.
The last time I was there I saw THREE cars driving on the road, that were ON FIRE.... not sure what the hell those Oregonians are doin' up there....
at any rate, those pics do an amazing job of making me think I have that silt all over my shirt, sitting here in the office.... they really make you think you're there! Great pics, great trip!!!
I bet you thought it rained here all the time. That only occurs on the western slope. The eastern side is 2/3rds of the state and all desert. Glad you enjoyed the report. I sure enjoyed writing it.

"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
Old 10-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #159
Shewbert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Great Ride report!!! Maybe one day, then again, maybe not. I'd hate to think how long it would take to clean all that powder out of my bike!

I can guarangoddamntee you those Harley guys didn't have near as much fun all the way to Reno and back, including the party thing, that you guys had out in the desert.

Look forward to your next ride report. They are a pleasure to read.

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff!
Shewbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:21 PM   #160
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewbert
Great Ride report!!! Maybe one day, then again,

I can guarangoddamntee you those Harley guys didn't have near as much fun all the way to Reno and back, including the party thing, that you guys had out in the desert.

Look forward to your next ride report. They are a pleasure to read.
Hey Shewbert, thanks. The dude on the outside right told us a story about riding an old Honda 250 scrambler(?) around out here in the early seventies. I guess he did 1000 miles solo all dirt. I think he missed riding dirtbikes. He seemed to be the "real thing".

I suppose that two wheels is better than no wheels. More power to the HD riders. I wonder what the chaps are for?

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
Old 10-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #161
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Great ride... I was sure you're going down!! Nice pics too
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:34 AM   #162
coho
unfinished

Oddometer: 144
Beauty. So much territory to ride out there. If you had come through la playa a day or two later you could have laughed at me stuck out there in the mud... (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171350)

Thanks for the report. Can't wait to get back out there. Riding solo, I probably would have got just as stuck in the silt towards Willow Springs if I hadn't been hanging in the lakebed.
coho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:02 PM   #163
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Hey Coho, I think we missed you by one day. I read your report. I have been buried out there more than once on 4x4 trips, I know how it feels. You were lucky that you found folks to help you out. When on the playa just remember; if the ground turns color you are in the wrong place. If it is dry it is white, if wet it could be grey, brown, even red. We found some dry playa that had some red in it and thought we were in trouble. When that stuff is wet it all looks red. Any how, you learned the hard way, just like most of the guys I ride with. This will make for a great campfire tale.

Ride while you can.

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
Old 10-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #164
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:

Where is this place? I can also understand if you want to keep it to yourself.

Great photo's guys.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #165
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Powerlines?

Borax Springs Road is my guess. Am I right?