Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2006, 09:17 PM   #31
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Oddometer: 519
Here is a shot of the guys replacing the subframe bolts.
"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
StihlRigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:31 PM   #32
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,528
So we’re hauling ass on these big, old gravel roads and my fuel capacity challenged friends’ warning lights appear - it’s so expensive for them, fuel, coming off my bike.

sensitive moment:

this righteous canyon where we know the bottom country goes really fast. it’s all soft and chewy down there, probably no rock heads stickin’ out and you can punch it up to 85 or so.

The 950 must be the next best thing to flying - really sounds like a small airplane coming across the desert at about an inch off the ground.

If they’d just quit running out of fuel!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 PM   #33
RECON
Guit Sum

Oddometer: 744
Damn! This is great! Wish I was home riding instead of stuck in Portland at training!!!

used to's: '08 Kawasaki KLR650, '97 Honda ST1100, '03 Honda XR650R, '04 KTM 950 Adventure, '04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom, '03 Kawasaki Meanstreak, 19?? Yamaha XT600, 19?? Kawasaki GPZ550, 19?? Honda Twinstar200

IBA# 39329
RECON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:41 PM   #34
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECON
Damn! This is great! Wish I was home riding instead of stuck in Portland at training!!!

I remember the feeling. Whilst in P-hole I'd pretend I wasn't there by trying to always look up at the sky no matter what it was being covered by. At night, it actually looks better than a clogged up valley morning. Just wait till you roll through the firs into the ponderosas - then sage - ahhhhhhhhh!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:12 PM   #35
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,120
Cool.

I don't even see powerlines in youze pictures. That's some remote country.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:23 PM   #36
wachs OP
just passin' through

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothy
Cool.

I don't even see powerlines in youze pictures. That's some remote country.

Powerlines?

Old 09-27-2006, 10:29 PM   #37
toothy
Grin

Oddometer: 14,120
Ok, no Starbucks then.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:43 PM   #38
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Silt beds are Gnarly

Alright so Wachs called and said post thru lunch on day 2 so we can get to the exciting stuff. So here I go.

As Wachs said after we left camp we rode up on the butte a little ways to catch the view of the Catlow Valley. We camped on the southern edge and when we road up on the butte the view was awesome.

Heading back down. The little canyon on the right is where are camp was located. The view is looking North.

Here is a shot of the road Wachs talked about where the speeds were in the 80-90mph range. I was only doing about 50mph when I took these shots as I wanted TG to pass so He wouldn't eat my atomic dustcloud.

Here is Tg coming in for the pass.

And passing

Now we have arrived at the east side of the Catlow valley and my fuel light has come on. I tell Wachs that we better check with TG and see where he is at.
sure enough his fuel light has been on for about 10-12 miles.
So we drain a liter from the 640 fuel tanker and head on out.
Wachs said that we as in the 950 and 610 keep stealing fuel but I only took about a 1/2 liter just in case.

I didn't really need it as I was pulling a pretty solid 45-50 mpg

Heading north along the east edge of the valley

Sweet little section thru the valley

We need to get around those mtns. in order to head east to Fields for lunch and fuel

Getting closer. We still need to go around the north of these mtns.

One more liter for the Husky

We make it to the road that goes to Fields and TG is milkin it to make the fuel stop.
Notice the black in the background. That fire was this year.

TG coasts down the hill till he comes to a stop and leans the bike over to get the rest of the fuel on the petcock side then we mosey on down the road.

notice the MSR fuel cans strapped on the back of the 950. We used those up before we even left camp in the morning.

Her is a shot of the 950. The fuel light has been on for 43 miles. When the light comes on I have 1 gal. of fuel left.

I pull in to fields with 49 miles since the light came on, pretty good mileage for a 950.

Phew I made it.
Just to make sure you folks know I did not need fuel from Wachs for this trip, though I was pushing it a few times.

The food in Fields is great. We stock up on trail munchies and I talk the guys into packing a case of beer to the next stop which is Willow Hotsprings. I can get 9 in my cooler and the guys put 6 each in their backpacks. This turns out to be a daily ritual at our lunch stops.

Loading up the beer and extra fuel for the next leg.

We do about a mile of this and then head east on the dirt following the powerline that feeds Fields.

Back to the fun stuff. We just don't have any idea how fun it will be.

More later, Your'e up Wachs
"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
Old 09-27-2006, 10:47 PM   #39
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothy
Ok, no Starbucks then.
We didn't see a single coffe shop on this trip, but TG and I both brought French presses and fresh ground coffee. I can't start my day without it.

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
Old 09-27-2006, 10:53 PM   #40
wachs OP
just passin' through

OK it’s after lunch - decent BLT plus we stock up on all vital fluids. Got this fun/rugged track to get us to camp and a hot spring to clean up. 35 mi of riding with beer. I don’t usually fly with anything but the Old Crow from this point on but we have the dang 950 to pile shit on and Stihlrigg is saying, “ Hey, it already has 65 lbs on it, I can’t even tell another 10 or 20.” He’s not afraid to give this thing the gas and roast it up some rocky situations.

uh oh - powder bomb silt rut world - the Husky is down out there if you look close

uh oh - Husky down in another powder bomb - good place to eat it, all soft and fluffy.

even between the ruts of hectic bitterness, it’s inches of fluff.

uh oh the Husky is now officially broke in and ready to relax.

Look at his neck! he’s just POWDER COATED - ha

This is such a weird place - something always happens at the ‘Crossroads’

That 950 is . . . well, this is really rocky and not GS friendly country and the 950 is romping. And no, it didn't take the 'soft' line around.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:04 PM   #41
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

come one Wachs where's the rest. I am waiting to read your take. You are giving an awesome narrative.

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
Old 09-27-2006, 11:15 PM   #42
wachs OP
just passin' through

The ‘hard’ part is over for today except for this freshly graded (maybe 30 minutes earlier) gravel road. Hey look - 1st tracks! This must be what they complain about up in Alaska? Seems OK if you stay on the gas - only problem is you’re going 90 all of a sudden.

corner pocket kitchen

night bike inspection - small oil leak from twist-on

No fires, it’s super dry and I don’t want to get in the paper for something like that.

timetogotobed

Old 09-28-2006, 05:59 AM   #43
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,328
Great stuff Dave - you guys. Again, wish I coulda been there. speaking of which, apparently, so do many others. Many (in this thread and others) realize the pristine and vast nature of the area have naturally voiced desire for you to divulge exact routes and or GPS tracks/coordinates. I for one salute you for not spilling the beans. These little gems were hard won by you and you are doing mo plenty by just telling your tales. Your stewardship is appreciated. Giddyap.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #44
cheekymonkey
born again jackass

Oddometer: 144
Wow! Thanks for posting your ride report.

Could you tell us what camera you were using?

Excellent pictures.

The ones of the dusty Husky rider were fantastic.

ZOA
cheekymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:11 AM   #45
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Thumb Good Good Good Good Good !

Thanks

scottr is offline   Reply With Quote