Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2006, 10:22 AM   #46
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,793
Damn Wachs, you do some freaking cool rides. This is about the fourth ride report this year from you I wish I had been on. Keep it coming.

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:59 AM   #47
wachs OP
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner
Great stuff Dave - you guys. Again, wish I coulda been there. speaking of which, apparently, so do many others. Many (in this thread and others) realize the pristine and vast nature of the area have naturally voiced desire for you to divulge exact routes and or GPS tracks/coordinates. I for one salute you for not spilling the beans. These little gems were hard won by you and you are doing mo plenty by just telling your tales. Your stewardship is appreciated. Giddyap.

Thanks for your help posting the last ride and for your support on us keeping the details to ourselves. Of course, I couldn't really share anything anyway 'cause I can't explain it, have no gps tracks to share, and like I've said before the maps all suck. We still took a few wrong turns even having been there prior. It's a free country (still) and this is all public property, just really complicated.

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:10 AM   #48
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,176
Awsome reportkeep it comming
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 PM   #49
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Day 2 -snip

In the spring, he rode a BMW Funduro out here and beat the living crap out of that gay-assed paper route bike.

snip

That ought to make you popular over at f650 world.

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #50
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Oddometer: 519
I'll catch up to Wachs on this post and then wait for his next one.

So we hit the infamous silt beds of eastern Oregon. I had no idea how tough and fun this stuff would be. Since we only had 35 miles to go till we hit camp we were riding pretty hard. Beer and a hotsprings were calling our names.

Here's a shot of the first silt trap. Todd was cought out by this one and stalled the bike while recovering from a tank slapper. He didn't go down.

I took this shot at the same time Wachs took the Husky down shot. I was rolling the silt and saw a huge dust cloud and new that TG had gone down. By the time I got there the dust had cleared and TG was already back on the bike.

After TG took off I got a great shot of the silty ruts we had to deal with. They were about 2 ft deep.

Took this one as TG was cleaning the dust off. His backpack was leaking fluids and when he dug in he found a wounded soldier. Notice the big smile, he was still having fun even though he took a big fall.

It is a good thing we had a case of beer as when we arrived at camp I had 2 wounded soldiers and Wachs had 1. Every day we lost several brews to the tough conditions.

The entire road behind the Husky was silt. If you look on the bike you can see it is missing a radiator shroud. It is still out there at the bottom of one of those ruts.

This shot was taken at the beginning of that long road to the 4 corners. I lost it in the rut and hit the bush that is front of the bike. Then I fell over into the road as I could not touch the ground. I dragged the front end off the bush and the bike stood up by itself because the sand and silt were deep enough to hold the bike up.

Here's a close up of the freshly graded road. Wachs is right you have to stay on the gas or the front end sinks in and next thing you know the back end is trying to pass the front. This stuff was about 4 in. deep.

We make camp in the corner pocket and take the whole space. If you don't spread out the others may try to squeeze in. Willow Hotsprings is pretty far out there, but it gets more traffic than i would have thought.

I brought my water filter and it proved to be invaluable since this is how we got water every night and morning.

Wachs with his desert headgear on.

Dinner of Champions. It looked like this every night

The nightly map session. So how do we get to the Owyhee from here?

A couple of sunset photos.

It rained on us this night

Wachs in the springs after dinner and brews

Next morning. Looks like more rain, but we got lucky and it was just really windy all day.

We didn't notice the missing radiator shroud till the next morning.

Packed up and ready to go for an epic trip to the Three Creeks hotsprings.

I'll let Wachs start off day three, then I'll catch up when he is done.
"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
StihlRigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:36 PM   #51
habanero
Multistradler & LC4player

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlRigg
Here is Tg coming in for the pass.

Great report, sweet pics..

what make of helmet is this?

Thanks..scott
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #52
wachs OP
just passin' through

We have this 10:30 ‘alpine start’ because we’re in no hurry. New country today but it seems really easy and flat according to the map and info from IdahoJoe. The first chunk I know and it’s one of my favorite tracks. No rocks, it’s flat so there’s only one or two washouts at the beginning and then you can romp on it as hard as you want.

It’s frightening to be down in the ruts when this thing comes charging up, but he’s a good rider so . . .

Here it comes again - doing around 70 over these humps in the track.

another sensitive moment

We gotta cross this little playa and head towards Idaho but it’s too much fun and we roll around here wasting fuel and having a blast. The weather is perfect. Last spring this was only 20% dry.

It was quite windy from time to time. Leaving the playa.

We have this system for the gates. Whoever gets there first and has to open it, leave the thing layin’ in the track all sloppy so the last guy knows to close it.

straight as an arrow this section is but the powder is over a foot deep in places. Here comes that Husky again.

And then, in an explosion of talcom, down it goes. Man I wish I’d pulled the trigger on that shot. Nothing damaged but TGs’ pride. quote “What is my problem” - response - ‘It’s not you, this is some hard crap’. And who knows what evil lurked in the depths of the ruts? These have some rocks.

Stihlrigg takes the center hoping to stay out of the ruts.

Now it looks like it’s far enough away but when you hear that thing wound up on the gas and it’s pointed right at you . . . well.

Rare shot of Stihlrigg with foot momentarily off the peg.

The wind is out friend today.

Found this cool line shack to take a break out of the wind.

So I’m in front on this road I’ve never seen before going pretty fast, come around the corner and see all these Harley Guys™ standing around with butt-less pants and give’em a huge, totally obnoxious WHHAAAAAHOOOOOO!. Jump off my bike, grab my camera - one of the guys says something like ‘oh yeah, get out the gps’ sort of sarcastically and run by onto the center of hwy95 and take this picture like a total weirdo. They were riding to Reno for a big party thing.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #53
EMrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Wow, awesome ride and trip report. I had no idea Oregon offered that sort of adventure riding potential.
R
EMrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:01 PM   #54
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Oddometer: 2,081
Nice. I want more.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #55
idahojoe
shut up and ride

Oddometer: 229
It's catching on

In the spring the Bend Boys were teasing me about my beer of choice, Hamms. I bet it tastes pretty darn good now.
Who needs flour to find the wet spot when you have silt.
78 R80/7
68 Maico 360
idahojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #56
wachs OP
just passin' through

Hey there Joe - dang it!! Look what you started!

We have to do some miles to Burns Jct. and then to Rome. I personally, would gladly ride dirt all the way but it’s too complicated today as there are several major drainages to negotiate and we were hoping to meet IdahoJoe for a guide across this section but he couldn’t make it. We might be able to figure that out but you need lots of daylight to screw around and TG was all powder coated so figured we should just get to the hotspring before it got dark. It was really windy blowing hard across the road. 70 mph was fine. After lunch we saw some guy on fully-loaded RS (?) get blown out of his lane into on-coming traffic and he was only going maybe 45. Scary - he had his brakes on and leaning. Might’ve become windier by then.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #57
StihlRigg
Dog Farkler

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by habanero
Great report, sweet pics..

what make of helmet is this?

Thanks..scott
That is an Arai XD. I use this helmet more than my motocross one. I only use the motocross one when I go for rides with my buddies that are not street legal. I use the XD the rest of the time.
"Did you hit him? You shoulda hit him, right in the throat. How dare he. Next time someone expresses concern for my well-being while i'm sprawled out in a public place, i'm gonna pull out their tongue and use it to paint my boat, and then i'm coming for their family."--SinFrenas

07 Husky SMR510
06 950s
06 Husky TE450
90 KX500
04 SDG mini
StihlRigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:58 PM   #58
Tankboy
Now older and fatter!

Oddometer: 357
Great report, I love that country. Unfortunately I now have 950 fever again, thanks alot! I know the strom doesn't have an ice cubes chance in hell of getting around out there. Must.... win... lottery...

No shame in going down in that dust. Freaky stuff, acts almost like water as you drive through it, parting on either side of your tire and then filling in behind it. You never know how deep it is just by looking, and the depth is anything but consistent. We drive our tanks through it in the SW Idaho desert, and the depth is sometimes over 2 feet. Coats everything, gets in your eyes, ears, nose, mouth, everywhere.
Tankboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:02 PM   #59
wachs OP
just passin' through

Stihlrigg has some shots of the fella ‘Propane Steve’ who, at lunch, drew us a map (classic) of the 60 miles of dirt down to the river. We thought we had a bombproof plan to go down the west side and somehow, miraculously, find the one ‘jeep trail’ that would take us down to the water. We chucked that plan out the window and took Propane’s tour of the canyon rim and desert.

just like he said, it took us right where we wanted to go. There’s no way we would’ve found it by our own devices. The west side of the canyon is way more rugged and confusing.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:22 PM   #60
habanero
Multistradler & LC4player

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlRigg
That is an Arai XD. I use this helmet more than my motocross one. I only use the motocross one when I go for rides with my buddies that are not street legal. I use the XD the rest of the time.
thanks for the info, that really looks like nice helmet..

I'll check into it.

scott
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote