User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #1
GetYourOwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
99 LC4 not idleing

Just picked up a 99 LC4 and the bike will not idle. Starts up fine with the choke and even after a couple of minutes warming up the bike dies after a few seconds running with the choke off. I have been going through the LC4 index and I think I may have to up the hot idle to get it to idle correctly. Would a faulty petcock (see below) or a missing hose be causing this? Would upping the idle be a good initial step before tackling the mixture screw or a carb cleaning? The bike starts immediately on choke so I don't think a carb cleaning is needed. Any other thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Also getting a leak out of the petcock when it is pointed to either on or reserve. Doesn't seem to leak when it is off. Can the petcock be rebuilt or should I order a new one?
GetYourOwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #2
dancolin
Weeeehaaa!

Oddometer: 1,004
sounds like a clogged pilot jet.. i would tear down the carb and thoroughly clean it..

06 KTM 950 Adventure
dancolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,286
What Carb do you have?

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
GetYourOwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Just got the bike home last night. Will look to see what carb is on there.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYourOwn
Just picked up a 99 LC4 and the bike will not idle. Starts up fine with the choke and even after a couple of minutes warming up the bike dies after a few seconds running with the choke off. I have been going through the LC4 index and I think I may have to up the hot idle to get it to idle correctly. Would a faulty petcock (see below) or a missing hose be causing this? Would upping the idle be a good initial step before tackling the mixture screw or a carb cleaning? The bike starts immediately on choke so I don't think a carb cleaning is needed. Any other thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Also getting a leak out of the petcock when it is pointed to either on or reserve. Doesn't seem to leak when it is off. Can the petcock be rebuilt or should I order a new one?
The petcock can certainly be cleaned, and perhaps the seals (o-rings?) can be replaced with something similar... ah, anyways try cleaning it up first. By leak do you mean leaking from the petcock or leaking from the carb overflow? The overflow leak means the float is not sealing.

Missing hose... like a carb vent? Vents should be filtered, and if not then crap can get inside. Try to set the tune of your bike first, creeper's thread should give you pointers, not direct specs since you have a very different year.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
GetYourOwn OP
Studly Adventurer

I took the carb apart for cleaning and when I removed the idle micture screw it was only a turn and a half out. When I put it back in should I put it at the 2 1/4 turns as recommended in the index?
Old 10-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYourOwn
I took the carb apart for cleaning and when I removed the idle micture screw it was only a turn and a half out. When I put it back in should I put it at the 2 1/4 turns as recommended in the index?
Re-read creeper's tuning post/thread - 2.25/2.5 is a starting point, then you fine tune it from there.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:35 PM   #8
GetYourOwn OP
Studly Adventurer

Cleaned the carb really well and the bike idles pretty good now. Still cuts out after idling for about a minute but I think I will adjust the mixture screw another 1/4 turn or so and see how that works.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #9
dancolin
Weeeehaaa!

Oddometer: 1,004
So its gotten better? or the same from cleaning it? I dont think even 1 turn on that screw will make or break the idling process if you started off at around 2.5 turns out...
btw- is this a E model or Adventure.. i just assumed it was the E

06 KTM 950 Adventure
dancolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
GetYourOwn OP
Studly Adventurer

It is night and day better but still not perfect. It idles off choke fine for about a minute and then cuts out again. Maybe my float bowls are misadjusted and it is running out out of fuel. Maybe a second round of carb cleaning is in order. I also have not taken the bike out for a proper ride yet and that may help as well. This is the e model