Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 04:34 PM   #31
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Eh, you know Meat, some people just worry too much. Just ride the damn thing!
I do - both - but I don't know if I'm too unsure of my abilities or just too damn lazy to carry thru on my Motochondriasis...

So I just piss, moan, and
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #32
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I do - both - but I don't know if I'm too unsure of my abilities or just too damn lazy to carry thru on my Motochondriasis...

So I just piss, moan, and
Motochondriasis... dude, I like it! Let's see... have we sidetracked this thread enough yet to qualify it as an official LC4 "what the fuck did this thread start out as" thread? Or do we need to keep going?
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #33
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Motochondriasis... dude, I like it! Let's see... have we sidetracked this thread enough yet to qualify it as an official LC4 "what the fuck did this thread start out as" thread? Or do we need to keep going?
I had to look at the title to remind myself where I was so the question is do we need to pile it on higher? Or deeper, depending on your perspective...
Old 10-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #34
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer: 629
My 625 SXC with a fabbed oil cooler

I'll try to post my "rough" hand drawn diagram.
Attached Images

Tuff Tunica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #35
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

And the parts

I'll try to post the process in the future. Too late tonight
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2008, 11:00 PM   #36
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
Thanks I'll have to see if I can find it online. The gas gauge is going to be a real trick! Uhoh German, no sprecenzi, oh yeah I can do Babelfish!
Chassis number!? I guess that's up by the triple out to the garage I go. Bank Code Number! Account Number!? wait a minute, I'd like to get the part but but geez!
Ich möchte eine Öltemperaturlehre für mein Motorrad kaufen. Würden Sie die Art haben, die die bestehende verlegte Stockart Ölüberprüfungslehre ersetzt? Wenn so, wie viel tun, sie kosten und wie ich zahlen Sie können? Danke
I really hope this doesn't mean I want someone to service my mother!
Try this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching. Althought this listing has ended I'll bet you could email their Ebay store and find another. Good luck
Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 AM   #37
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Say Tuff Tunica,

how do you regulate oil temps or have you found that unnecessary? thermostat? manual valve and an oil temp gauge? nada surf?

Maybe the system is not sooooo sensitive, kinda like a long-haul truck covering part of their radiator during the winter...
Old 10-22-2008, 01:05 AM   #38
Rubber_Down
SF Rat...

Oddometer: 83
Thumb Nice

Tuff Tunica,

Well done, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Can provide a parts list and source?

Hey Flux,
Yeah it's Springs bike.He's delivering the bike on his way to Baja, can't wait!

2009 BMW GS F800
2003 KTM 672 SXC, Adventure Style (sold)
2006 Ducati 620 MTS Dark (sold)
2005 KTM 950 Adventure (sold)
Rubber_Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 AM   #39
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber_Down

Hey Flux,
Yeah it's Springs bike.He's delivering the bike on his way to Baja, can't wait!

Sweet, I was eyeballing that bike for inspiration. I have my 625 in the Flea Market now but if it does not sell I think I'm gonna make it into some sort of rally bike.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #40
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

My 625 Rally

Quote:
Sweet, I was eyeballing that bike for inspiration. I have my 625 in the Flea Market now but if it does not sell I think I'm gonna make it into some sort of rally bike.
Exactly what I did. 4860 front forks revalved, rear shock resprung and valved both by MX-Tech. 8" driving light and Nite-Rider HID running lights, 660 kit, rally cam, full Akrapovic exhaust, steering stabilizer, my own special oil cooler (adds about 300cc more capacity), Aqualine Safari 27 ltr tank, MRA wind screen, some tinkering with the carb and Voila- my own little rally bike. Now I don't ride rallye's but livin' out West there is alot of desert to be explored. I've also done multiple trips to Baja and absolutely love this bike. Oh also added a 320 front rotor for a little extra stopping power.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM   #41
Rubber_Down
SF Rat...

Oddometer: 83
Thumb

Well Done Tuff Tunica!!

She looks like a blast.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/attac...1&d=1224686248

2009 BMW GS F800
2003 KTM 672 SXC, Adventure Style (sold)
2006 Ducati 620 MTS Dark (sold)
2005 KTM 950 Adventure (sold)
Rubber_Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #42
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
That's tiny!

Geez my oil cooler is going to be huge compared to that one. If all works out as planned it should mount in a little safer spot, I'm figuring almost a quart or 950 milliters or so capacity.

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #43
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Say Tuff Tunica,

how do you regulate oil temps or have you found that unnecessary? thermostat? manual valve and an oil temp gauge? nada surf?

Maybe the system is not sooooo sensitive, kinda like a long-haul truck covering part of their radiator during the winter...
I don't really ride this bike much when it's cold so I haven't incorporated a temp regulator. I figure any additional cooling to be a benefit. It just flows through as part of the whole system. Probably the better benefit is the additional 300cc which is about a 25% volume increase and an additional filter.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #44
Tuff Tunica
Moto-Skiveez creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
Geez my oil cooler is going to be huge compared to that one. If all works out as planned it should mount in a little safer spot, I'm figuring almost a quart or 950 milliters or so capacity.
Initially I was really concerned about the location. I don't really do too much technical riding with big logs or rocks. Most of my stuff is open desert. I always carry the original oil line in the event of a failure. It would be extremely easy to bypass this entire system and just re-install the original oil line.

Having said that, this sytem has survived multiple dings and hits with nothing more than a slight mal positioning of the cooler. Although I'm sure it would most likely not withstand the abuse of a Dakar type rally, for my purposes is has turned out quite well.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #45
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff Tunica
I don't really ride this bike much when it's cold so I haven't incorporated a temp regulator. I figure any additional cooling to be a benefit. It just flows through as part of the whole system. Probably the better benefit is the additional 300cc which is about a 25% volume increase and an additional filter.
Hm, well oil has an operating temperature range; you obviously know what too hot means: thermal breakdown, but do you know what too cold means?

http://www.thunderpress.net/MONTH_AR...orheadMemo.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by link above
Your engine suffers while you travel the distance required for engine oil to reach proper operating temperatures during winter weather rides. As much as folks worry about oil inadequacies when hot, it’s really when it’s too cold that engine lube… doesn’t!
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/a...p/t-23677.html

Quote:
Petejoe
07-23-2004, 02:19 PM
When an engine runs cold so does its lubricating oil, which means more potential for moisture and acid to form in its oil. At higher temps (both oil and engine) harmful deposits are boiled off. This prevents the slow destruction of bearing material and shortened engine life.

When an engine runs too cold, the fuel economy goes down, often way down. A decrease of 6 to 10 miles per gallon isn’t unusual and as fuel consumption increases so does wear. Wear increases because of two factors. First, the cold engine doesn’t heat the oil sufficiently and harmful deposits, moisture, and acid accumulate rapidly, then eat away at the inside of your engine. Thats why flaming exhausts are bad ideas, your literally pouring gas down your cylinder walls...Yea but its fun anyway...
http://www.katsauto.com.au/eng_flush.html

Quote:
... engine will run either too cold or too hot. You might not even notice the difference on your temp gauge (if you have one). Constant elevated temperatures promote oil thickening after thousands of miles. This can create sludge. While engine that operates too cold will form a "black sludge".