Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #16
dwayne OP
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,218
North of the Artic Circle we saw this, check out how many bands there are on this rain bow

Some of the views from the foothills of the Richardson Mountians

The pass is also the border between here...

and here

It started to get a little wet here, but hey this is an adventure right?

The colours and road here kept us captivated...

But eventually the weather came down enough that the adventure became keeping our bikes rolling on their wheels, by the time the day was over we rode in this clag for about 4 hours.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"

dwayne screwed with this post 10-10-2009 at 04:50 PM
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:05 PM   #17
MicBane
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great job on the ride report. I'm enjoying it so far. So do I get to bust you for copyright infringements on the photos I took??
Old 10-09-2006, 07:50 AM   #18
Surlyguy

Oddometer: n/a
Great pics....truly

Ok your pics are better than mine when I was up there in the fall one year.

And I didn't miss my Dakar until I see it used for it's intended purpose.
Take care of her..
Old 10-09-2006, 11:09 AM   #19
dwayne OP
Silly Adventurer

"Great job on the ride report. I'm enjoying it so far. So do I get to bust you for copyright infringements on the photos I took?? "
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
aww shucks thanks...

This is my first RR, so I'm still figuring it all out...

and trust me it wasn't just the title that had rum in it!

just to let you all know these pics are a compilation of all of the 'runners photos...but the lone rider is one of mine.
from post #9

You had so much to do with keeping us fed, warm and happy, and even though you couldn't make it I think of you as a 'runner (ummm that's meant to be a compliment)

dwayne screwed with this post 10-09-2006 at 01:06 PM
Old 10-09-2006, 12:49 PM   #20
dwayne OP
Silly Adventurer

We never intended to get all the way to Inuvik. We decided that the Mackenzie river would be enough. The weather, as it often does, changed our plans. We never did get to the Mackenzie; we had to turn around at Fort McPherson.

The "resturant" in for McPherson is the corner of the Grocery store.

The locals were all very friendly, and every one of the older folks that we saw came over to say hello, and so did most of the younger folks. This man was telling me that at the end of the sixth day when God created the world he had a big pile of mud left over, and eager for his day of rest, he kind of gave up and hurled it at the earth. It became known as Fort McPherson. We believe.

The Peel river ferry only has mud embankments to load on.

The rain didn’t stop and the road was worse heading back. It is a well packed road, which mostly means you don’t sink into the mud, but you do slide all over the snotty surface. I had several exciting cross road slides at about 40-50km/h before the call over the radio Bejubus is down! Luckily just bent panniers.

Then it was my turn to wipeout. I would have taken pictures but my hands were so covered in muck that reaching into my tank bag for my camera was just too messy. Besides the visibility was a hot 100 feet and there were the (very) occasional pickup trucks to worry about. I also escape with bent panniers.

‘freak and my rads were turned into pottery by the kicked up mud, and we both had to stop to clean them as best as we could, until Bejebus spotted a Honda water pump that the road crews use to drain ditches. The Dempster carwash came in pulses that lasted for about 2 seconds but could easily be 30-40 liters of water. We giggled allot. In the background you will see 2 of the maybe four vehicles we saw between the artic circle and the peel river ferry. Note the cyclist...that's hardcore!

We camped at the artic circle that night. Al (I think) was travelling the Dempster from Canmore solo, on a KLR and redered assistance tweaking my touratecs into a serviceable shape.

'freak needed to adjust his steering head bearings after some serious pounding

Back at Eagle plains the next day we began to understand that we had a muddy slippery day ahead of us!

And so it was...

]

But tombstones were even more beautiful on the way out, and it hurt to leave.

We stayed at Klondike Junction the next night and pressure washed our bikes and each other…no kidding! We did several really big loads of laundry, ate the now infamous Black Bart dehydrated chilli, and might have celebreated with a few drinks

At this point it was becoming clear that 1100km of dirt and mud would become a major and distinct part of this trip. We all had our low points; I laughed and got teary at the overwhelming beauty and remoteness of this place. I have had some great rides though some astonishing scenery, but this has topped it all. I am ecstatic to have seen this part of the world in its prime, but I wonder if the future will live in its shadow. The north has been described as magnetic by many, and it’s easy to be charmed. This is one of the few places I have literally said good bye to.

But wait we’re not done yet. There’s still over a week of riding to be done!

dwayne screwed with this post 10-11-2009 at 11:32 AM
Old 10-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #21
dwayne OP
Silly Adventurer

hey Blair, thanks.

The pictures that don't have people, bikes in them, or have been cropped are almost all mine. I've taken a boo at your photos, and your compliment means alot.

To come completely clean, they have been cropped (which is pretty obvious) and horizons straightened, and I have tried to bring the colours to what I remember to be accurate. Most photos were taken in overcast, and many front lit, so the conditions were challenging. I am usally more of a purist in not altering photos, but I'm a little rusty and willing to cheat

Old 10-09-2006, 01:12 PM   #22
MicBane
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne
"Great job on the ride report. I'm enjoying it so far. So do I get to bust you for copyright infringements on the photos I took?? "

from post #9

You had so much to do with keeping us fed, warm and happy, and even though you couldn't make it I think of you as a 'runner (ummm that's meant to be a compliment)

OK. You can use my pictures. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #23
MicBane
n00b

Thumb

BTW I'm really enjoying the story you are weaving. Keep up the good work!!

Old 10-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #24
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Good on all you guys for going up that time of year. Everyone has a favourite season and I think I know what Dwayne's fav is.

Great report and pictures. I just got back in July and already can't wait for my next trip north of 60.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:30 PM   #25
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,524
Man, what a great ride report! Thank you for doing such a good job sharing with us. Spectacular photos!

I am very glad to have made your acquaintance when you passed thru the "big" city of "Los Anchorage." Sorry the weather wasn't better in these parts but that's pretty much the way the summer was. Been a wet fall too.

Thanks again. Take care. Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #26
bejebus
"Gelande Sport" Rider

Oddometer: 20
You've done a nice job with your photos and story Dwaye. The Dempster, affectionately nicknamed "The Dumpster", was hard to say goodbye to . Here is looking forward to more .

bejebus screwed with this post 10-09-2006 at 05:00 PM
bejebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #27
dwayne OP
Silly Adventurer

Hey Bejebus, thanks for joining in! If you or 'freak feel you need to "correct" and
"errors" or "add" anything, we wouldn't want any "editorial bias" would "we". I must be in the "mood" to use "quotes" tonight.

Aaaaannny whhhoooo....

The next day was an easy 350km to Tok Alaska…good thing too; Bejebus was metal on metal on his rear brakes. In Dawson YK, one of the local hotel proprietors helped to get info on the nearest dealships, and even offer the pads off his 1150, but all in vain. We unbolted the rotor, jammed a wrench in between what was left of the pads to keep the pistons from popping out of the caliper and set off…minus rear brakes. I’m positive it was a factory approved repair because we used a BMW wrench!

We would have loved to spend time in Dawson, it looks like the town has some pretty neat things to see, but brakes are important too.

Top of the World Highway is another marvel. The road on the Canadian side is mostly paved (chip sealed) and runs along the ridges, allowing mountain strewn panoramas, framed in red and green.

Eventually you get to the boarder

The officer suggested some alterations to the route that we take and we wound up having a friendly conversation while we held up no one behind us.

After our experience with the officer I began to suspect that Alaska might be different than the lower 48. We realize that everything is bigger in Alaska…except Boundary. Really a gas station and coffee shop in the middle of a big empty space. Quaint and quirky. Well, quirky.

The Wade dredge was used to extract gold from creeks and rivers.

We stayed the night in Tok at Thompson’s Eagle Claw motorcycle camp ground. Neat, convenient, and empty in September. It could be because it was cold.

What dwayne has no corkscrew?...we'll just push that cork through, nice and clean...after I wiped the hootch off my face and anything in range, we enjoyed the wine.

At Fast Eddies Bejubus had an omelet the size of his head. Luckily his eyes are smaller than his head and he refrained from finishing the whole thing off.

And we faced the proverbial fork in the road. Into Fairbanks and hopefully get a peek of Denali, or south to Valdez?

dwayne screwed with this post 10-11-2009 at 11:48 AM
Old 10-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #28
dwayne OP
Silly Adventurer

Well, lookie here! I found a few more pictures from Top of the World!

dwayne screwed with this post 10-12-2006 at 06:26 PM
Old 10-12-2006, 06:40 AM   #29
hilltownwalsh
Ahhhhh, Bach!

Oddometer: 43
That landyager is some good stuff! Keeps well too. A side benefit I discovered is you get a nice clean break in the crapper, always a plus on the road.
hilltownwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:45 AM   #30
troutdog
I don't fish.

Oddometer: 809
The pics are A-1.
troutdog is offline   Reply With Quote