User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2006, 03:37 AM   #1
DT20 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
bmw r 1200 cl questions

anybody got any info on the r 1200 cl's?. such as how it handles, problems encountered or any bady or positive things about these bikes. dont really see many of these around was wondering if there was a reason for it. any info would be greatly appreciated. I did a search already and came up with nothing.
thanks
DT20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:16 AM   #2
Jonniedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
chromeheads.org

No longer made and a bunch of them had tracking issues that can be fixed... (pulled to one side)
Jonniedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:48 AM   #3
DT20 OP
Adventurer

cool thanks will check the site out!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:50 AM   #4
BOUNTY HUNTER
Bavarian Bomber Wrench

Oddometer: 866
R1200cl/c

Some background on me before I open my mouth. Been working on BMWs since 1992, have over 330,000 miles on BMW bikes, have worked at 3 BMW dealerships and I own (since 2000) an independent BMW service shop and am the only technician. The R1200CL is, in my opinion, the WORST handling BMW ever made. It is absolutely miserable to handle at low speed, has the same horsepower (49 @ rear wheel) as the nearly 200 lb. lighter R1200C and as a result is friggin' gutless. Really dangerous to pass with. The only saving grace, if it even has any, is the headlight which most people like. I have only 3 customers with this model and none of them are "in love" with the bike. If it had 20 more horsepower and handled better it would be a better bike. But it doesn't / can't so in my opinion STAY AWAY FROM IT! You asked, right?
BOUNTY HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
The looks are subjective at best with the four-eyed fairing; most people just pointed and scratched their heads, and looks were key in the cruiser world, daring/edgy doesn't have much of a fan base in that segment. Very underpowered (though no more so than a Harley FLH) - BMW detuned the oilhead engine for the original R1200, then added a lot of weight with the CL.

Ultimately, it was the answer to a question nobody asked, released when the R1200 was already on its last legs as a concept. If you like the looks, you could do much worse in a touring cruiser. They seem to come up regularly with low miles at attractive prices, and you probably won't have much competition for the one you want.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 06:11 AM   #6
DT20 OP
Adventurer

thanks thats exactly the kind of answers i was looking for. I had heard something about the terrible slow speed handling before just wasnt sure how bad it was. currently riding a 04 gsa and am a little height challenged wanted something a little lower to the ground for my main rider and still has storage and comfort. plus even in a 5mph the bike always gets blown around and feels like its gonna go over on it side. not sure if this is going to be the answer then if it really handles that bad at slow speed. again thanks for the responses.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:51 AM   #7
pdoege
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
I like my R1100R...

Hello -

You may want to look at one of the R11xxR bikes. My R is much lower than my GS, and actually is nicer in slower traffic due to the lower final drive.

Regards,
Peter
pdoege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,214
Go for either the R1200C, Montauk or Independent models, superior handling & less weight.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #9
DT20 OP
Adventurer

thanks guys,
i gonna look at these options a little more before i make a decision but you all been very helpful.
thanks usra major for the suggestions will try them out.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #10
ikonoklass
Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer: 2,601
I had one. Biggest problem was lack of power and the idiotic windshield. Why would anyone put a radio in a bike that gives you full wind to the face such that you have to wear earplugs? Utterly retarded. That said, if it had more power, it would have been pretty cool, but mine developed an electrical problem the dealer couldn't fix, which is how I came to be a GS owner.
ikonoklass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #11
KarlH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I have a R1200C and don't really care for how it handles. Not crazy about the dry clutch on it either.

How different is the R1200GS in the handling department? I know they are totally different bikes but is the GS easier to handle? IS the tranny smoother on the GS versus the C?

I am coming off of wet clutches so I am leaning towards a KTM 950.

Any thoughts?
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:54 AM   #12
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlH
I have a R1200C and don't really care for how it handles. Not crazy about the dry clutch on it either.

How different is the R1200GS in the handling department? I know they are totally different bikes but is the GS easier to handle? IS the tranny smoother on the GS versus the C?

I am coming off of wet clutches so I am leaning towards a KTM 950.

Any thoughts?
Well, maybe this will answer a few of the inquiries. I had a R1200C, and in fact it is the bike that I got back into riding with after a long absence. It was not a bad bike for reentry into the MC world...low COG and not enough power to get you into trouble...the seating position was terrible for me...300 miles on that bike neccesitated numerous breaks and stops. I thought about a CL and actually looked at one at the dealership...front end was "heavy" and with such little horsepower (the 1200C needed prayer to pass sometimes. )I couldn't see getting it so I got an RT instead. Good choice...the RT was very comfortable and did about everything I asked it to do. I traded the RT (not because I did not like it)for a 1200GS...it adds a little more versatility and I am generally happy with the GS.