User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
tgeo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb XR650L extra lights

i have a XR650L and because i'm doing a lot of night trail riding i'd like some more light preferably in a logical price

i have considered putting the double round lights from XLR 250 Baja with 12V 55/60W lamps which i believe would be enough for my needs.

The bike doesnt have very big wattage consumptions as it doesn't have any blinkers (not used on the road) and has a LED tailight and nor any heated grips etc.

The question is does the 650L put out enough power to keep up with these lights and not draw from the battery, and will the wiring of the bike stand these lights? has anyone done it?

thanks a lot for the answers
tgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:12 AM   #2
EMathy
Cancer Sucks!

Oddometer: 168
Being a streetbike, the 650L should have decent enough power output. With that said, however, I'd recomend having your stator rewound by Baja Designs.

That way you'll for sure have enough power for the additional lights AND have some left over for a GPS unit or other things you might want to hook up.

I had it done on my dualsported XR600R. It's money well spent.

“If children have the ability to ignore all odds and percentages, then maybe we can all learn from them. When you think about it, what other choice is there but to hope? We have two options, medically and emotionally: give up, or Fight Like Hell.” - Lance Armstrong
EMathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #3
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgeo
i have a XR650L and because i'm doing a lot of night trail riding i'd like some more light preferably in a logical price

i have considered putting the double round lights from XLR 250 Baja with 12V 55/60W lamps which i believe would be enough for my needs.

The bike doesnt have very big wattage consumptions as it doesn't have any blinkers (not used on the road) and has a LED tailight and nor any heated grips etc.

The question is does the 650L put out enough power to keep up with these lights and not draw from the battery, and will the wiring of the bike stand these lights? has anyone done it?

thanks a lot for the answers
I'm looking for one of the plastic covers that goes around the headlights on those old XL's. Do you know where I can find one? I don't mind paying for overseas shipping.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:07 AM   #4
tgeo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
I'm looking for one of the plastic covers that goes around the headlights on those old XL's. Do you know where I can find one? I don't mind paying for overseas shipping.
i think it's quite difficult to find that part myself... i also wanted it to give the bike a more factory look, but each and every part of headlights i encountered contained only the lights and the classic oval steel bar they are housed in...
tgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,572
I already have the lights and mount, just need the plastic. I'm going to try and locate one when I'm in Germany next week.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote