User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
rubicon1979 OP
Poser

Oddometer: 214
50cc Scooter Trip

I just got home from a 3400 mile trip from Seattle, WA to Alabama but that was on a BMW GS. Now my buddy wants to get a pair of 50cc scooters and ride from here, Alexander City AL, to Key West, FL. I was looking to see if there was a scooter rental available but if not we'll just buy two. I would much prefer to rent so I dont have to fool with selling them when we get back.

We'll ride them down but truck them back so it'll be around 1500 miles. Will a 50cc scooter make a trip like that? Should I look for a 4-stroke or 2-stroke? I talked with a dealer in Birmingham and he said he might be able to work with us on renting two but he strongly encouraged 150cc but my buddy is determined to make it on 50cc. How fast will say a Yamaha Zuma go? How about a comparable 50cc?

Anybody know of a dealer in Alabama or Georgia that might rent two out for a week? If not what's a good one to look for new and what might I expect to lose on it when I get home? If anybody knows another dealer I'll call them and see if they would work with us.

Thanks in advance

Damien
rubicon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:25 PM   #2
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon1979
We'll ride them down but truck them back so it'll be around 1500 miles. Will a 50cc scooter make a trip like that? Should I look for a 4-stroke or 2-stroke? I talked with a dealer in Birmingham and he said he might be able to work with us on renting two but he strongly encouraged 150cc but my buddy is determined to make it on 50cc. How fast will say a Yamaha Zuma go? How about a comparable 50cc?
The 50cc bikes will make the trip just fine, in terms of displacement. You might want to start looking at routes that keep you on 45mph back roads. Bicycle routes are usually excellent for scoots, so snag some bike route maps at your local bike shops or off the states' Department of Transporation web sites.

I used to take my Vento Zip R3i on extended day trips and towards the end of the day it would get sluggish after 6 hours of running 40mph on back roads. Our Kymco Super 9 is water cooled and runs consistently all day, all night, all weather and temps (it's also faster...). But they're pricey.

If I were to do a trip like that, I'd look at the Honda Ruckus as my first choice. I think having the bare frame would make it easy to lash stuff to it, and their 4 stroke motor has been proven to be very, very good.

If you're near a Kymco dealer, check out their bikes.

If you wanted to do a 2-stroke, a stock, derestricted Zuma would be cool if you can find 'em. They run about 40-45 but I'd do the trip math on a 37-40mph cruise, with 43 being gravy.

Time might be a limitation, however...so if you have to get the trip done in a week, do the math based on the route, and consider bumping to a 150 if you need to.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,941
there was a thing on the net where some guy from new mex rode a ysr 50 1000miles in 24 hrs. The thing is ysrs will keep up 60 mph for that amout of time. They used to race them for 600 miles or more here in texas but there are almost no stock ones left to race.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #4
rubicon1979 OP
Poser

50cc

Having never rode a scooter before I'm a little ignorant of their limitations. I was told by someone else they can only sustain an hour or so of constant speed before heat is a problem. All of the 50cc scooters I had looked at were air cooled so I didnt know if that was true or not. My GS is air cooled but I'm not trying to run it at WOT either.

I'll try to see what brand his scooters were but I believe he sold Tank?

Its around 1k miles but it'll probably be 1200 or so due to backroads. I was really hoping we could do it in 3 days or possibly 4 max.

Thanks for the help.

Damien
Old 10-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #5
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,981
Tanks are shit. Don't, don't, don't buy it.

Buy a Kymco if you must, and for that length trip, I would really bump up to a 150cc.

You'll thank me later.
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

It sounds backwards but IMHO it takes more skill to get the most out of a 50, which is why I'm sorta drawn to 'em as commuters (mini GP racers). I've got some good local roads for daytrips so that's worked, too. You've got to really get into the Zen mindset to make a 50 work, though. I wouldn't just jump on one and go. The 150 would be easier, practically effortless, just a slower than what you're used to in terms of a fast cruise but otherwise absolutely pleasant.

Just some stuff to ponder.

Me...I'd love to do the trip on a Ruckus. But I'm nuts that way.

From about May of '05 to Feb '06 my primary transportation was either the Zip R31, the Stella, or the Kymco S9. Never once missed the GS for commuting, and half the weekends were spent plonking around on the scoots.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #7
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,816
My stock Zuma will do 43 tops. usually 35-40 is what you are going to get most of the time.

I believe Greg White from 2 Wheel Tuesday went cross country on one and I don't believe they had any issues.
I think his producer or someone else also accompanied him on the trip.

If I recall they did around 300 miles a day and raised some money for charity.

If you use a Zuma or other two stroke you would need to carry some injector oil with you.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #8
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,633
Simple math suggests 10 hours at an average of 33 mph will net you... drum roll please... 330 miles. Can you sit on a small scooter 10 hours a day for 4 days?

The Honda Ruckus is 50cc and water cooled...heat would not be a problem but 35mph is the max out of these... at least with my lard ass.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #9
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
I just got home from a 3400 mile trip from Seattle, WA to Alabama but that was on a BMW GS. Now my buddy wants to get a pair of 50cc scooters and ride from here, Alexander City AL, to Key West, FL. I was looking to see if there was a scooter rental available but if not we'll just buy two. I would much prefer to rent so I dont have to fool with selling them when we get back.

Anybody know of a dealer in Alabama or Georgia that might rent two out for a week? If not what's a good one to look for new and what might I expect to lose on it when I get home? If anybody knows another dealer I'll call them and see if they would work with us.

Thanks in advance

Damien

And the point is......

As far as renting them, I doubt that anyone would be willing to rent you two 50cc scooters to take out of State for a 1500 mile trip.
So buying would seem to be the only option. Why spend that kind of money to go out and torture yourselves?
Oh well, different strokes.....
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
rubicon1979 OP
Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomech
And the point is......

As far as renting them, I doubt that anyone would be willing to rent you two 50cc scooters to take out of State for a 1500 mile trip.
So buying would seem to be the only option. Why spend that kind of money to go out and torture yourselves?
Oh well, different strokes.....

The point is exactly what I said in the post. There were a few questions I had hoped to have answered. The one lady at the dealer warned me about heat when running at constant speed. I'm also worried if a 50cc scooter is capable, mechanically, of making a 1500 mile trip. How long do tires last? Brakes? Etc.

The one dealer I found said for around $600 he would let us take two of his scooters and return them. He would swipe our card for the entire cost of the scooters to cover himself in case we wrecked or tore them up. That seemed reasonable enough.

I would rather just haul them down to Jacksonville and start on highway A1A, I think thats the name, that runs down the coast.

35mph deflinitely puts us back. The dealer was telling me around 45mph but he's probably real optimistic and my buddy is a pretty big guy. That would suck to sit on that thing for 10hrs and only be 350 miles down the road but I'll try it. Anyway thanks for the help.

Damien
Old 10-06-2006, 11:22 AM   #11
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Quote:
35mph deflinitely puts us back. The dealer was telling me around 45mph but he's probably real optimistic and my buddy is a pretty big guy. That would suck to sit on that thing for 10hrs and only be 350 miles down the road but I'll try it. Anyway thanks for the help.

Damien
Maybe map out something a little bit less ambitious in terms of distance.

I think you'd have a good time. It surprised me how much scenery I was missing on the big bike.

The downside of touring on little bikes is that they take longer to cover ground...but the upside is that you tend to soak up stuff differently.

The price quoted sounds pretty good. I'd go for it. Bear in mind that the 50's will really slow down on hills.

What bike is he renting you?

40-43 isn't out of the question for a comfortable cruise on some bikes...
Old 10-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #12
ysr612
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog
Maybe map out something a little bit less ambitious in terms of distance.

I think you'd have a good time. It surprised me how much scenery I was missing on the big bike.

The downside of touring on little bikes is that they take longer to cover ground...but the upside is that you tend to soak up stuff differently.

The price quoted sounds pretty good. I'd go for it. Bear in mind that the 50's will really slow down on hills.

What bike is he renting you?

40-43 isn't out of the question for a comfortable cruise on some bikes...
it sounded like he was talking about the tank. The one I saw I would not take a long trip on.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:33 PM   #13
Canned Soup
The Itenerate Engineer

Oddometer: 159
Question why not buy then sell?

Well, Why not buy a reliable machine with warranty knowing you will sell it when you return and recoup most of your money. Most likely cheaper than renting for 600.

I recently sold my honda elite 50 planning of getting something bigger. I kept trying to get more speed from the 50 until I realized a larger engine would be faster and more reliable. It is fun to sit that close to the ground at that speed. One more thought on size. Here in south carolina, you dont' have to register 49cc or less, just get a moped plate. A yamaha vino 125 looks just like the vino 50 as does the similar people and various other scoots. A little scraping and a 125/150 can be come a 25 or 50. JUst a thought.

dave
Canned Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:38 PM   #14
Canned Soup
The Itenerate Engineer

Oddometer: 159
Cool2 Oh yeah,

I like the idea of the ride. G o for it. Even being just back from a 6k ride to the rockies on my GS, my first thought was me me me, can I come too?
have fun, come back and tell the tale, a good adventure doesn't always mean a good ride too.

dave
Canned Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Soup
A yamaha vino 125 looks just like the vino 50 as does the similar people and various other scoots. A little scraping and a 125/150 can be come a 25 or 50. JUst a thought.

dave
Or perhaps a ET2 badge?

But, but, it's only 50cc's!!

It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote