User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2006, 07:35 PM   #31
caboose OP
Banned

Oddometer: 44
Ride Report Part 2 : Cherohala Skyway on another beautiful day

I slept very well in my little cabin, and probably would have overslept the planned departure time if it weren't for some little tyke making racket next to the cabin around 8:30 AM

It was downright chilly outside overnight (the cabin had a heater, otherwise I would have been one cold puppy). It was still chilly in the morning, too, enough so that I doubled up on socks and wore my sweater under my riding jacket, and long pants under my riding pants, and I was still a bit shivery. I also regretted bringing only my perforated gloves, although they're more comfortable than my heavier gloves

By the time I had dressed, packed, stumbled over to the communal bathrooms for a bit of primping (all of which gets undone as soon as I put on the helmet, really I don't know why I bother ), and gulped down a styrofoam cup of coffee, it was about 9AM and time to head out. The guys were standing around chatting with some of their neighbors and, I suspect, waiting for me to hurry up and get my stuff together.

Two additional folks met us this morning at the KOA: mikewarax and fullmonte fullmonte looks particularly speedy today, doesn't he? Plus, of course, Paul Barnard and GeoBiker.

We headed out to the corner gas station for a little breakfast and fuel. Look what I had for breakfast!

The first thing we did was head through the Cherohala skyway. Again, we had a clear blue sky, a little more wind today but nothing unsettling. The Cherohala is *beautiful*, I can't imagine a nicer ride. Anyone who would prefer the Dragon over the Cherohala is, in my opinion, just showboating

Paul B is looking dapper today , but we ought to all pitch in and get him some riding pants

Next stop: dam!

Somewhere in here, we went through a little country road that I at least found to be pretty challenging. Poor GeoBiker was stuck behind me again, poor guy, but he was extremely patient, and again I appreciate him watching out for me on the twisty parts. This is also the first road where I experienced any adverse bike-goofiness; at one point, a left turn came up on me a little sharper than I expected, I engaged a little rear brake (not too much, really, just a touch), and the rear started wagging, right-left-right-left. I just sat tight and didn't change much about my control inputs. The wag resolved and the bike stabilized pretty much on its own, and I continued on my merry way, resolving to keep my foot off the damned rear brake

Any advice, by the way, is welcome and would be gracefully accepted. I am a noob after all

Not long after this, mikewarax and GeoBiker gave me some good directions to head home; straight down hwy 19 and onto GA 400. Here's where we said our goodbyes

19 took me up and down Blood Mountain, through Dahlonega, and dumped me out onto GA 400. I would have stopped at the Blood Mountain overlook, but it was chock full of many, many bikes, mostly Harleys, and I was too shy

I just can't say enough good things about this experience. It's great for me to see how more experienced folks ride, and it's great for me to practice doing things the right way, and I think I learn more in one day of curvy riding than I could in a month of suburban commuting. And I couldn't ask to meet a nicer group of people

caboose screwed with this post 02-07-2008 at 08:56 AM
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 PM   #32
caboose OP
Banned

Oddometer: 44
mikewarax was kind enough to send some photos he took...

Fantastic photo of the fall colors, and a low layer of clouds/fog in the distance which hasn't been burned off by the sun yet:

caboose screwed with this post 02-07-2008 at 08:55 AM
caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:36 AM   #33
PowerT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Are there suppose to be pics in the two previous posts?

In spite of illness, In spite even of the archenemy sorrow, One can remain alive long past usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things and happy in small ways. - Edith Wharton

Need a smugmug coupon? Well here you go z0g48s072w1kE
PowerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #34
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,049
I see them fine!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:23 AM   #35
PowerT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
I see them fine!
I see 'em fine now.

In spite of illness, In spite even of the archenemy sorrow, One can remain alive long past usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things and happy in small ways. - Edith Wharton

Old 10-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #36
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Awesome ride report, webwench!

Nice pics too, thanks.

Looks like everyone had a great time.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:00 PM   #37
GeoBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwench
Ride Report Part 2 : Cherohala Skyway on another beautiful day
Poor GeoBiker was stuck behind me again, poor guy, but he was extremely patient, and again I appreciate him watching out for me on the twisty parts. ...
Aw shucks..

No offense to the others GUYS, but the scenery was better..

Besides, I"m a bit of a noob myself.
GeoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:42 PM   #38
KevinD
Haulin the mail

Oddometer: 413
So did Paul make it home?
KevinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:47 PM   #39
GeoBiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinD
So did Paul make it home?
He had a couple of stops to make along the way. I don't think he was planning to be back until Wed. or Thursday.
GeoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:18 PM   #40
twoburgers
Make Mine A Double

Oddometer: 214
Great first report - shy with a helmet like that? Thanks for taking us along.
TwoBurgers
twoburgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:32 AM   #41
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 9,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoburgers
Great first report - shy with a helmet like that?
Yeah, no kidding...who wears a gray Arai anymore

So that's it? Nobody else has any other pictures? Come on, sell me on east coast riding
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:59 AM   #42
PowerT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey
Yeah, no kidding...who wears a gray Arai anymore

So that's it? Nobody else has any other pictures? Come on, sell me on east coast riding
There is no way we can "sell" you on it. You have to 'sperience it! It is just staggering how many good roads there are in the area.

Come on, hit I-10 (for the winter trek) until you hit I-20 in TX. That will lead you to the ATL, take 85N to 400N. When it ends you are at the gate for motorcycle Disneyworld/land. Make sure you are in the ATL on Thursday night to load up on good grub and lotsa bikes at the Vortex.

You may only ride 300 or so miles in a day here but you will negotiate many, many curves and elevation changes in that 300 miles.

It is much different than your ride to Lake Los Angeles, Barstow, Boron, etc. You can't see a bazillion miles here is a big difference.

So what are you waiting for?

Oh and how are things in Antelope Valley?

Old 10-11-2006, 06:00 AM   #43
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 14,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerT
There is no way we can "sell" you on it. You have to 'sperience it! It is just staggering how many good roads there are in the area.
+1

And this, IMO, is the best time of the year to experience them. Wish I could have been there.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:57 AM   #44
PowerT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210
+1

And this, IMO, is the best time of the year to experience them. Wish I could have been there.
Now is without a doubt the best time of the year to be there. The weather, scenery. All of it is good. Just go during the week if you can.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:51 PM   #45
PowerT
Beastly Adventurer

Calling Paul Barnyard to the white courtesy phone, excuse me Paul Barnard.