Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2006, 06:17 AM   #46
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,865
I'm here. Very busy packing my household contents. Have to be moved out by the 20th. I'll post more at work tonight.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:23 AM   #47
PowerT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I'm here. Very busy packing my household contents. Have to be moved out by the 20th. I'll post more at work tonight.
One of those, "I gotta go to work to rest" deals.

In spite of illness, In spite even of the archenemy sorrow, One can remain alive long past usual date of disintegration if one is unafraid of change, insatiable in intellectual curiosity, interested in big things and happy in small ways. - Edith Wharton

Need a smugmug coupon? Well here you go z0g48s072w1kE
PowerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #48
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,217
Quote:
Good to hear you made it back ok. How was the rest of your trip ?

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #49
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerT
One of those, "I gotta go to work to rest" deals.
You know how it is with us gubment employees.

As soon as I can figure out how to post multiple pictures in the same post, I'll kick in a little report.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #50
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
is that a sweet potato or a baby from tremors?

good one

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #51
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,906
Can I ride behind you Webwench? By the way, that's a nice helmet you have there.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #52
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwench

Frickin' cyberstalker
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:37 PM   #53
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

I guess I'll give up on trying to post multiple images in the same post.

My trip started out on Wednesday the 4th. Day one saw uncomfortably warm weather for my short venture to Pensacola. The day was relatively uneventful and I don't have any pictures that wouldn't get me banned.

Day two took me to Atlanta. IN as much as I can, I prefer to avoid the interstates and stick to the rural highways. I needed to make good time to make it to Alpharetta to avoid Atlanta area rush hour, so I did about 50/50 superslab and backroads. The morning was cool and damp, but it quickly warmed into pretty comfy riding weather.

ra2bach, whom I had never met, was gracious enough to open his home to me. He has a beautiful house and an awesome family. Ray is a big hearted, patient, caring man and a teriffic father. It's heartwarming to see the love he provides his children.

Ray also has a sweet piped out Ducati...the best sound in motorcycling. Nice looking bike too.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:53 PM   #54
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

I got cleaned up at ra2bachs and from there we headed to the Vortex. We picked up Webwench along the way. The traffic in Atlanta blows goats. My small town ass was scared beyond belief. Almost made me want to piss away my sobriety to calm down when we hit the Vortex.

There were a whole lot of ADVers at the Vortex. I took the opportunity to introduce myself to all of them. I don't remember all of them by name. I noticed that ADVers as a whole have a marked propensity toward displaying their social fingers in the presence of a camera. Damndest phenomena. It was good to see Meathead again and to meet his better half NM for the first time. If you think NM is a beauty on camera, you should see her in person. Boojum GS was there. He doesn't remember it, but he was nice to me when I was a single digit post count noob some time ago. I thought all the talk of PBR's at the Vortex was an inside joke, but these fookers really do drink that raunch. I wanted an opportunity to get to know more of the folks, but there just wasn't enough time. I really do hate that I didn't get a chance to chat with Waxy.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #55
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Quote:
I really do hate that I didn't get a chance to chat with Waxy.
Looks like WillyB's got him cornered, you wouldn't have got a word in edgeways.

....and get a smugmug account yer cheap kunt
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #56
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Day three took us through the mountains of North GA. I had never been to Suches and TWO. The ride up the mountain was great. We stopped at an overlook and took a break. It was here that Webwench first began entertaining us with her dancing. Geobiker and PowerT were mesmerized. Kevin D was worried about his cheap assed Kawasaki falling apart. ra2bach was late to the party.

The private dances were even better. Quite expensive though.

On a serious note. It was a genuine pleasure to finally meet Webwench. She's a beautiful person with a quick smile and a passion for riding. She has brains to boot. Some of you ATL area singles would do well to get to know her.

Our ride took us over into NC. Highway 28 from Franklin to Lauada is the best MC raod I have ever ridden. It's fast fun and predictable, offering a perfect challenge for all levels of riders. It flows back and forth so seemlessly. The transition from right to left handers flows so swifly and smoothly. The rest of 28 into Fontana is almost as good.

We made the requisite stop at the Deals Gap Store, and then ran the Dragon. I managed to barely scrape my left peg for the first time ever. I used all of my tire for the first time too. We arrived at the KOA campground just before dark. The KOA is slightly more expensive than neighboring MC campgrounds, but it is always clean and quiet. I heartily recommend it.

We had dinner at the Tellicafe. The food is good, the portions are reasonable and the price is right. I've eaten there 4 or 5 times and have yet to be disappointed.

That evening, WW and I had a pleasant conversation on the cabin porch swing. We exchanged more interesting dating stories and had a pleasant chat in general. Geographical barriers suck.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #57
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Dawn broke on a crisp cool morning. We met up with two new folks in Mikewarax and Fullmonte. Mike has a funny looking motorcycle with cylinder heads that stick out on both sides. I tried to get Montie's license plate number when he blew past me. His piped SV1000 sounds good from behind. Here we are gassing up before bidding adieu to WW and Monte.

I got to try out my new cold weather gloves. They kept the cold at bay, but because of their bulk, I felt disconnected from the bike. We ran that sweet stretch of 28 again and I had even more talking to myself under my helmet quality fun.

Mikewarax, geobiker and I shot back across the Cherohala and had late lunch at the Bistro. The Bistro is a scenic place to dine and has good food. It's a little spendy, but is worth it. They had a very good looking wait staff (sorry, no pics). Our server was a good looking gal. I sensed she was eye fucking me, so I asked her out. She said she didn't think her husband would approve. I guess I need to get better at reading signals. To my credit, she wasn't wearing a ring.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #58
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

After Mike departed for Knoxville, Geobiker and I took advantage of losing the streetbikers by taking a little gravel road excursion.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:47 PM   #59
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

The next morning was equally chilly. Actually good motorcycling weather. We left Tellico on 315 to 30E. This is a sleeper of a good road and is highly recomended as an egress for those leaving the area for points south. Geobiker showed me the Armuchee Valley area of Georgia. It's a surprisingly nice change of pace from the mountain twisties. We had dinner at Pops Buffet in Summerville. A six buck buffet that is well worth it. At this point I parted ways with Geobiker. As an aside, Geobiker and I met at a V-Strom gathering in May. He's a damn good guy, good company and a good riding partner.

I had hoped to head to Tuscaloosa to meet a Match friend, but miscommunication blew that deal. I took occasion to ride the Little River Canyon Rim Road near Ft Payne AL. It's offers spectacular scenery and a very twisty challenging M/C ride.

Where you see 25 MPH curve signs...approach with caution.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:53 PM   #60
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

The Little River Canyon is a little known jewel of a destination. It is the longest running canyon east of the Mississippi River I'm told.

Nearby you can find Desoto Falls and Sequoyah Caverns. All-in-all, northeast AL has some worthwhile riding destinations. My trip ended with a detour through Pensacola to wish a friend Happy Birthday.

It was a wonderful week-long adventure. Memories were made that will last a lifetime and the same can be said of the friends. Thanks to everyone for sharing a part of their lives with me.