Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #1501
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
Ridge:
If you get the Challenge, James Renazco (member here) can make you a terrific seat.
I contacted Renazco they are finishing up a seat. It should be available soon.
c.vestal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:23 AM   #1502
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
That's exactly what I am thinking of, an extra set of Xcountry wheels with a nice set of streetish tires on them.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 AM   #1503
MarkC
Genuine Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXG
Well that should get it fixed.

To reply to what Xchallenged wrote;
I do not agree that a broken frame and cracked engine case is a "miniscule problem", especially if one was on a world tour and this happened in a remote region.
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #1504
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
One year, IIRC, KTM offered the 625 SMC with two sets of wheels included. One set was 17" f & r and the other 18" and 21".

I wish BMW would offer same for a reasonable cost to those of us who bought either the Country or the Challenge so we could convert from one to the other. OTOH, probably BMW thinks it's better if guys like me ADD a Challenge to my Country rather than just a set of wheels.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #1505
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
One year, IIRC, KTM offered the 625 SMC with two sets of wheels included. One set was 17" f & r and the other 18" and 21".

I wish BMW would offer same for a reasonable cost to those of us who bought either the Country or the Challenge so we could convert from one to the other. OTOH, probably BMW thinks it's better if guys like me ADD a Challenge to my Country rather than just a set of wheels.
Buy an HP2 for $21K and you get two sets of wheels
Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #1506
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
TT skidplate.

I had a hard time finding Dynamat (O.K. I didn't try really hard) in my area. So while browsing in the auto parts store, picked up a can of rubberized undercoating and sound eliminator.

Was too lazy to do a before/after sound test on the bike...but I will say it is an alternative to the Dynamat. Although I haven't heard what an X with Dynamated skidplate sounds like, the undercoated one didn't bother me at all.

Possibly a tad more mechanical noise when at a stop, but when moving tire noise and wind noise was about all I could hear.

Rocks pinging off the bottom was quieter too. Stock one had a "ping/ting" noise, now it is a dull thunk. On the trail it took me a bit to figure out what was sounding different...it was the lack of ping, ping from rocks.

Think it was $8 for the can of undercoating.
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:15 AM   #1507
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,297
Skid Plate Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
TT skidplate.

I had a hard time finding Dynamat (O.K. I didn't try really hard) in my area. So while browsing in the auto parts store, picked up a can of rubberized undercoating and sound eliminator.

Was too lazy to do a before/after sound test on the bike...but I will say it is an alternative to the Dynamat. Although I haven't heard what an X with Dynamated skidplate sounds like, the undercoated one didn't bother me at all.

Possibly a tad more mechanical noise when at a stop, but when moving tire noise and wind noise was about all I could hear.

Rocks pinging off the bottom was quieter too. Stock one had a "ping/ting" noise, now it is a dull thunk. On the trail it took me a bit to figure out what was sounding different...it was the lack of ping, ping from rocks.

Hey: I think all the noise comes from the front of the plate, by the exhust pipe. It's not mounted to anything and just vibrates like a rubber band. I used two cable ties to pull the plate taught.

A better way would be to make a mounting point, it would make the plate stronger too! But this was a 5 minute fix.

This cut out the sound I think you guys are talking about. The tire noise on the road is a different matter. The way I fixed that was to ride as little street possible.

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #1508
MarkC
Genuine Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:

Yeah, and have an adjustable triple clamp to adjust the geometry for a 17" front.

FYI: The LC4 SMC was 17" only and came street legal in the US. The KTM that came with two sets of wheels were the RFS 450SMC and 525SMC (both 4 speeds) and were sold that way in the US (only the US, maybe CA, AFAIK). These 450/525SMCs were actually SX MX bikes (4 speeds) with the KTM SM kit. I owned a 450 and raced supermoto two years ago, the steering geometry of the SX MX setup when going down from 21" to 17" front wheel was a compromise compared to the SMR version (SX tuning with 6 speeds) whose rake/trail was matched to the 17" wheel.
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #1509
Zollo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni
TT skidplate.

These guys have it:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MJj62ZKJQFH/

Zollo
Zollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:50 AM   #1510
Steady
Flogster

Oddometer: 281
Sprockets

Quick question for those in the know.

Some posts here re the change to a 14T front sprocket, is there a reason you did not go with a bigger back sprocket rather, and do BMW sell a 14t or do I need to look elsewhere?

Thanks.
Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:04 AM   #1511
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady
Quick question for those in the know.

Some posts here re the change to a 14T front sprocket, is there a reason you did not go with a bigger back sprocket rather, and do BMW sell a 14t or do I need to look elsewhere?

Thanks.
http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html...el_uid=2743&p=

TT also sells a 14t as well. As for an answer to your question. I do not know since I have not done the swap myself but I look forward to the answer.

Doug
Old 08-14-2007, 01:26 AM   #1512
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
Switching from 15 to 14 on the front is easier that replacing the rear sprocket. At least the chain will be long enough, which is always the question when you use a 3 tooth larger rear sprocket.

But ideally I would like a 15 tooth on the front, and a larger rear sprocket, to reduce chain and front sprocket wear. More tooth on the front means a bigger arch around the sprocket and more tooth means means less wear per teeth.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #1513
shardzero
I have a bike.....

Oddometer: 486
I have been waiting patiently for someone to say they have one, but no longer, it has to be said!

WHERE ARE THE TOURATECH FUEL TANKS FOR THE G650X???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...72350&page=103

Were past the middle of 2007 I would like to buy one now.

Anyone have any news or special contacts, or other ways to increase fuel capacity. I guess the HP2 rear tank would fit (Wunderlich) and I have seen the MecaSystems adaptation (speculated) on the right rear.

Who has installed the Ohlins shock and where did you buy it from and how much did it cost. Did you notice a difference?
shardzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #1514
ride no evo
Suck it Trebek

Oddometer: 567
So I am gonna pick up my X on Thursday and I have a question. Is Touratech the only game in town for a rear rack as of now. I am looking for something in the 8x10 range to strap gear or a fuel pack onto.......

I was thinking the passenger grabs from a country might be a good base to start with and weld some crap on if I can't find anything

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill

"I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

You can save $5 on a smugmug subscription use coupon KyCiOLxqIwDIk
ride no evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 PM   #1515
spicychili
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride no evo
So I am gonna pick up my X on Thursday and I have a question. Is Touratech the only game in town for a rear rack as of now. I am looking for something in the 8x10 range to strap gear or a fuel pack onto.......

I was thinking the passenger grabs from a country might be a good base to start with and weld some crap on if I can't find anything
Grab rails from the country cost just as much if not more than the small TT rack. And yes TT is the only game in town right now.

I mounted a pelican 1400 case to my small TT rack and have though about putting a koplin 1 gallon can on top of that.

the case works well.