User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2007, 05:46 AM   #1591
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,296
Rally Setup

Hey Max Here's the Pine Barrens RallyMoto Team's formerly Top Secret Rally setup pic's.

Lights, Camera, Action!

NICE RACK!!

Touratech HP2 lights and Fairing, with custom bracket
on my BMW X-Challenge.

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...0169B9FACB4595

I think these lights are the answer for the night stages. They fit the HP2, I had to make a bracket. I should be able to reproduce it.

Touratech Roadbook holder, GPS mount and ICO Odometer, stock BMW Dash.

Rallyon!!!!!!!!!!!

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:57 AM   #1592
MarkC
Genuine Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xchallenged
Talked to Tony of BMW motorad USA.

He said my break is NOT warrantable.

I know all of you own this bike and love it, so I would like to leave it at that.....

But, I am done with the brand BMW.

I would also like to say the bike is not dirt worthy.

Not even close.

I bought the BMW Xchallenge, because I thought if BMW makes it, dang it should be the best, and I want the best!

I see from most of the pics on this thread, and it should have been a warning..... most Xchallenges seem awfullly clean for dirt bikes.

I made a mistake and bought a $10,000 dirt bike, I now know I am the fool.

It is a bike for exploring fire roads and thats about it.

I am sure that BMW Motorad USA (lol) is sure that I am just one dude, and I have allready done enuff damage coming on here and telling you all my sad little story, and do not need to be warranting my bike because I will be gone soon and the BMW name will carry the weight it always has, and the people who want to have a dirt "looking" bike will still buy the Xchallenge.

But dang, I just want to tell that one OTHER GUY, please, PLEASE!

If you want to buy a dirt bike, don't buy a BMW Xchallenge! for crisakes!

You want a dirt bike!

I basically did what Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman did in "long way round. They got the wrong bikes, loaded them with too much crap and had a very bad time trying to ride them; in the real world where there are no fire roads.

The first thing they all did was crack their frames; all of them did. WTF was I thinking. But at least they could get theirs welded.

Here is a suggestion for the future ME's, looking on the internet for which dirt worthy street legal bike I should buy......

husqvarna TE (before BMW gets their mits on them)
Honda
Suzuki
Yamaha
to name a few

Do not be fooled by a long warrantee! they are not worth the paper they are written on.

Do not believe that you need a "good" service center near by to help you when you need service, that is also a crock of S***, that is just another trap for them to gouge you.

No matter how much money you finance now will save your ass when you are stuck out in the middle of knowhere (where there are no cell towers).
with your F***ing kickstand in your hand!

and get one that can at the very least be kickstarted or bumped for the love of god!

Most important thing is THE bike, it is what you are buying, not service with a crooked smile, not some belief in a brand name. Not a yuppie logo.

look and most importantly listen to what others have to say, Those anecdotes you hear ARE true. I heard so many people saying My Xchallenge's rear tailight assembly fell off, too heavy, they stall, fuses, touchy breaks, can't get service, ect.

ahh shoot! I says to myself, those guys must be doing something wrong, I will be different, I will ride better or somesuch, have a better relationship with the dealer,lol

but, durned if every thing I read about happened in succession just exactly as I had been reading, lol

Yea I feel vindictive right now, I want to cost BMW a lot of money.
(I hope to believe I have cost them a few sales) after all they cost me a lot of money,

but I would rather still be naive and believe in the name of BMW and still be riding.

I also know this is about my last chance to rant, and all this will be swept under the carpet and things will go on to all the praise that BMW deserves.

But even after I get my Xchallenge back, I will not be taking it back out into the hills, for crisakes, I will be taking the knobbies off and finding some nice street tires like it had when I bought it.

Any one wishing to buy an Xchallenge with just 2000 miles and new kendas please pm me. very reasonable and negotiable.

I will still be looking in on this thread, but not adding anymore "hater" comments, that is not why I am here.

Cheers and please watch out for those kickstands boys.
They are not under warranty.
Earlier in this thread you wrote that the frame is made in sections, and that the parts that broke were not very expensive.

Quote:
Yup, our frame has some modular pieces that can be replaced easy. The broke piece is a small one. In my case, the bolt that holds up the motor (or does the motor hold up the frame?) either way, the bolt tore the motor casing, if it hadn't I would be riding this afternoon. The broke piece would probably be less than my deductable of $500. ...
If this is the case, I would buy the frame sections that were broke and replace them myself, and hire a professional welder to repair the crack "tear" on the crankcase (no mention of oil having leaked, so I don't see why it couldn't be welded?).

If your Xchallenge framed didn't break due to collision as you claim, then the only thing I can think of is that there were one or more lose engine mounting bolts or frame bolts (if, as you wrote, the frame is modular and bolted together).
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:36 AM   #1593
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX
Nice work! I'm not sure your new turn signals are far enough apart to meet legal requirements, but I'll bet they work well and that no one (other than me) will ever question their legality.
True but in Texas you do not need blinkers at all.
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:07 AM   #1594
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,296
Sorry, but your wrong.

Quote:
Talked to Tony of BMW motorad USA.

He said my break is NOT warrantable.

I know all of you own this bike and love it, so I would like to leave it at that.....

But, I am done with the brand BMW.

I would also like to say the bike is not dirt worthy.

Not even close.

I bought the BMW Xchallenge, because I thought if BMW makes it, dang it should be the best, and I want the best!

I see from most of the pics on this thread, and it should have been a warning..... most Xchallenges seem awfullly clean for dirt bikes.

I made a mistake and bought a $10,000 dirt bike, I now know I am the fool.

It is a bike for exploring fire roads and thats about it.

I am sure that BMW Motorad USA (lol) is sure that I am just one dude, and I have allready done enuff damage coming on here and telling you all my sad little story, and do not need to be warranting my bike because I will be gone soon and the BMW name will carry the weight it always has, and the people who want to have a dirt "looking" bike will still buy the Xchallenge.

But dang, I just want to tell that one OTHER GUY, please, PLEASE!

If you want to buy a dirt bike, don't buy a BMW Xchallenge! for crisakes!

You want a dirt bike!

I basically did what Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman did in "long way round. They got the wrong bikes, loaded them with too much crap and had a very bad time trying to ride them; in the real world where there are no fire roads.

The first thing they all did was crack their frames; all of them did. WTF was I thinking. But at least they could get theirs welded.

Here is a suggestion for the future ME's, looking on the internet for which dirt worthy street legal bike I should buy......

husqvarna TE (before BMW gets their mits on them)
Honda
Suzuki
Yamaha
to name a few

Do not be fooled by a long warrantee! they are not worth the paper they are written on.

Do not believe that you need a "good" service center near by to help you when you need service, that is also a crock of S***, that is just another trap for them to gouge you.

No matter how much money you finance now will save your ass when you are stuck out in the middle of knowhere (where there are no cell towers).
with your F***ing kickstand in your hand!

and get one that can at the very least be kickstarted or bumped for the love of god!

Most important thing is THE bike, it is what you are buying, not service with a crooked smile, not some belief in a brand name. Not a yuppie logo.

look and most importantly listen to what others have to say, Those anecdotes you hear ARE true. I heard so many people saying My Xchallenge's rear tailight assembly fell off, too heavy, they stall, fuses, touchy breaks, can't get service, ect.

ahh shoot! I says to myself, those guys must be doing something wrong, I will be different, I will ride better or somesuch, have a better relationship with the dealer,lol

but, durned if every thing I read about happened in succession just exactly as I had been reading, lol

Yea I feel vindictive right now, I want to cost BMW a lot of money.
(I hope to believe I have cost them a few sales) after all they cost me a lot of money,

but I would rather still be naive and believe in the name of BMW and still be riding.

I also know this is about my last chance to rant, and all this will be swept under the carpet and things will go on to all the praise that BMW deserves.

But even after I get my Xchallenge back, I will not be taking it back out into the hills, for crisakes, I will be taking the knobbies off and finding some nice street tires like it had when I bought it.

Any one wishing to buy an Xchallenge with just 2000 miles and new kendas please pm me. very reasonable and negotiable.

I will still be looking in on this thread, but not adding anymore "hater" comments, that is not why I am here.

Cheers and please watch out for those kickstands boys.
They are not under warranty.

Hey: Sorry you had a problem, but as a former KTM, Kawasaki, and Suzuki servrice manager, all brands have issues. Your problem stinks, but the X-Challenge is the best in it's class. I've owned most of the otherbikes in it's class.

I also finish East Coast Enduro's on my X, and they are tough events.

I have stories of other brands having similar problems and pissed off owners, I won't go into them here, the point is, one break dosen't mean the Brand and the model are flawed. Again, sorry about your problem, but things happen.

Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:35 AM   #1595
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Damn...all you fabrication wizards are pissing me off!

Wish I had some of those skills.

Nice job, and looks great Jack! Trailace too. Brand new and already modified and dirty. Good job!
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:57 AM   #1596
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin
Xchallenged : whats the 1st 2 letters in your Vin #?

It might have been assembled outside of Berlin
What is the importance of that?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #1597
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomZG
Sounds to me you're trying to make the X a dirt bike. it's not a dirt bike. it's an enduro/dual sport.
1. I"m not seeing the difference. If you buy an enduro bike and ride in an enduro event, can't the course take you through a river bottom with baby head rocks?

2. I think this a very strange event in the sense that I don't see this as a general issue affecting more bikes than this guy's because he had one really strange set of circumstances.

Because it's rare, I'd think BMW would be ok in fixing his bike because it's not like there is going to be a flood of guys with broken frame / engines then demanding free fixes.

Back in the day of R surges, BMW couldn't admit the problem by trying to address it as a warranty item because it'd mean thousands of bikes coming back. However, we got guys doing all sorts of hard riding with the G-X bu this is the only real problem so why can't BMW step up and fix it?

OTOH, we haven't heard from BMW NA and never will. We're only getting one side. I agree that the poster makes a very good case, but maybe something is going on that we don't know about that is holding BMW NA back.

This is the second strange customer service thread in as many days. There's that guy who had his KTM catch fire and KTM customer service guy laughed at him.
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #1598
Veek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Has Anyone tried the Motech Centerstand on their G650 Yet?

If so, any feedback on installation and or use?
Veek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #1599
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailace
True but in Texas you do not need blinkers at all.
Ironic isn't it? If the signals aren't far enough apart, then they're illegal, but it's perfectly legal to have NO signals.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:10 PM   #1600
LRivers
n00b

Oddometer: 5
LED blinkers

Where did those LED blinkers come from? That's exactly how I want to tidy up the tail of my XChallenge!
LRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #1601
GX-MAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Emergency Fuel Cell

The charcoal canister was removed from the bike last week and it was noticed the stainless steel bands looked about the same size as an MSR fuel bottle. I stopped at REI today and they didn't have any MSR bottles but they did have a Sigg aluminum 1 liter bottle. It fits the same bracket as the charcoal canister. One of the bands is smaller than the other so I replaced one of the mounting bolts with a longer bolt.

At 1 liter, it would give probably about a 15 + mile emergency range if filled with fuel. Since my XChallenge is in CA being serviced for Baja and Copper Canyon, I am not able to attach it to the bike but am confident it will fit.

I tried to attach a few pics of the bottle attached to the mounting bracket but can't get the pic sized right to upload. If someone pm's me, I can send you the pics to upload if interested.
GX-MAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:04 PM   #1602
antipode
Wanderer

Oddometer: 554
Has anybody tried to fit the TT HP2 Large Tail Bag to the Xchallenge? does it work? does it touch the exhaust?
antipode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #1603
John 10:10
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
"Bold and uncompromising: the new single-cylinder bike for sporty off-road use. For enduro riders who seek their challenge not on big tours but on intensive motocross tracks."

From the BMW site:

http://specials.bmw-motorrad.com/spe.../overview.html

With this type of promoting, should BMW have grounds to deny any claims from hard off road use? I would like to get a strait answer before I buy one.
Support John 10:10's Mongolian orphanage project: http://www.childrensplacemongolia.org/
Suppport Flan8tive's African childrens project: http://www.thefiverandproject.org/
John 10:10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:17 PM   #1604
PacWestGS
Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer: 10,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by John 10:10
"Bold and uncompromising: the new single-cylinder bike for sporty off-road use. For enduro riders who seek their challenge not on big tours but on intensive motocross tracks."

From the BMW site:

http://specials.bmw-motorrad.com/spe.../overview.html

With this type of promoting, should BMW have grounds to deny any claims from hard off road use? I would like to get a strait answer before I buy one.
Here's a straight answer from the BMW Limited Warranty brochure that comes with every BMW motorrad.

[Damage - This includes, but is not limited to, damage resulting from negligence, improper treatment, accidents or improper accident damage repairs, corrosion from road salts, battery acid, cleaning agents, environmental influences, or treatment contrary to the Rider's Manual. (Consumer Warranty Information 2007 U.S. Motorcycles - Guide)]

Also goes on to say the warranty is null and void if:
The motorcycle is used in any competitive events.
The motorcycle has been declared a total loss or sold as salvage purposes.

Yada yada yada.

I guess, if push comes to shove, BMW can adopt the same limited expressed or implied warranty that every other dirt bike comes with. It's all yours the minute you roll it out the door.

Unless through long term use and proven that no abuse was the result of the rider and the frames continue to break in the same manner then I guess the consumer protection agency would get involved. But, with a dirt bike taken off-road I don't know how you can say it was not abused and subjected to events and situations that the manufacture couldn't invision at the time.

They will say it was not meant to do that, it was not designed to be a competition motorcycle. It is a:

JMHO
YMMV

I doubt the new 450 will have any implied warranty. And it will be a dirt bike.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. (Albert Einstein)
PacWestGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #1605
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,897
I think all of y'all who own these "sporty" machines should ride like mad men & women down as many babyhead-strewn creekbeds as you can find, as fast as you are comfortable in the name of consumer research.

"Sporty offroad use" and "intensive MX tracks" may be language designed to exclude any warranty coverage for use other than gravel doubletrack, and groomed MX tracks. MX bikes don't need skid plates!

How long before the aftermarket comes out with a skid plate with ears or lugs to protect this vulnerable part of the frame?

Hang in there, challenged. It might be time to lawyer up.

rapiti screwed with this post 08-19-2007 at 03:12 PM
rapiti is offline   Reply With Quote