Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #151
Gustavo
Motociclista Errante

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloyosh
So they made modifications for more surging?
Yes, the only way they could get people to not notice the miniscule 9.5 l (2.5 gal) gas tank was to make them want to stop before the limited range of the bike was reached.

Seriously, what a dumb decision, especially on a bike which has the tank burried under the seat and can't be easily replaced by aftermarket ones. I am sure Touratech will have have some $olution$ soon enough.

Gustavo
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:32 AM   #152
Fizz
Fizz

Oddometer: 168
My thoughts.

Do really want to crash one of these new BMW 650's on a trail ride?? Ouch...expensive!!! These may become show ponies, 'cos you cant afford to dent and scratch them.

I have an XR400R and F650GS Twin Spark Dakar - I love them both. Some comments:

I can crash the XR400R all day in the bush - no impact as care factor = 0, cheap aftermarket plastics too if reqd. This is a lighter bike....very cheap bike.

The F650 Dakar has 17.4 litres tank! Much bigger - you can actually get to the adventure. Also It is designed to carry luggage as a 'mule'.

The F650 motor is very reliable but VERY gutless and they upgrade it slightly and put it in the new models...hmmm; I would rather get a Husky or KTM if I had to have just 1 bike.

Fizz
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:24 AM   #153
Dirtgrain
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz
The F650 motor is very reliable but VERY gutless and they upgrade it slightly and put it in the new models...hmmm; I would rather get a Husky or KTM if I had to have just 1 bike.
Gutless? Are Rotax motors in the ATK bikes? I think I read that ATK's were quick bikes.

Still, if you take 100 pounds off of an F650, wouldn't it have a lot more oomph? Quite a few people have referred to the Husky TE610. Do we know enough about these BMW's to know if the dualsport versions will compete with a TE610? Isn't it possible that they could?
Old 10-11-2006, 08:56 AM   #154
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,553
About pricing here's my guess:

MSRP F650GS = $7,525
MSRP F650Dakar = $8,225
MSRP Husky TE610 = $7,199

My guess is the bare bones XChallenge will come in around $7,500 - $8K

One advantage this bike will have over the TE610: more dealer support. My nearest Husky dealer is 5 hours and several mountain passes away.

Seems like the TE has similar power, larger tank (but maybe same range - app 150 miles) and a lower price. Perhaps better carrying capacity for luggage.

We'll have to see where ease of maintenance and reliability fall between the two.

Good for BMW for releasing this series of bikes - I bet they do really well, both here and in Europe.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #155
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 562
BMW G 650 Xcountry
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/i...0xco_main.html

BMW G 650 Xmoto
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/i...0xmo_main.html

G 650 Xchallenge
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/i...0xch_main.html
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #156
Vesa
HappyHappy JoyJoy

Oddometer: 202
It seems like an exceptional basis for a RTW dirt tourer. Bulletproof and tried engine with very good road mannors (unlike the current LC4. It'll take a few years to see if the new 690 will be a reliable one). Long and modern suspension (unlike KLR, DR etc.), light (advertised 15 pounds lighter than the 690 motard, in reality maybe they'll be close but at least not much heavier), best fuel consumption in it's class. A bigger tank and looks like ready to go... What's there not to like?

The price maybe, and perhaps the air shock for third world touring. But heck, seems like a great bike, a LOT better than what I expected from BMW. A bit surprised that they didn't put out at version with a fairing though. Perhaps to sell the F650GS a year more and update it to the G series then?

Vesa screwed with this post 10-11-2006 at 01:21 PM
Vesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 PM   #157
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,877
Tank size!

9 litre tank but 250kms per tank. Impressive but could be bigger for sure.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:25 PM   #158
Herknav90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz
Do really want to crash one of these new BMW 650's on a trail ride?? Ouch...expensive!!! These may become show ponies, 'cos you cant afford to dent and scratch them.
Expensive?? A buddy of mine bought a F650GS for $5,000 brand new. The dealership bought them at the end of the year for $4,000, and got a bunch of the auction bikes from BMW NA. Ask your dealer about this, but you have to wait and be patient.

Most dealers do not act on this auction. What started the investigation of the HOW was when the Little Rock dealer was trying to find out how BMW Daytona was selling the then New '05 RTs for $12,995 on ebay. He found out about the auction that year. He bought a ton of F650s and R12GSs.

Grip it and rip it!

Greifen Sie es und zerreißen Sie es!
Herknav90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:48 PM   #159
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
I really like these bikes however, with only 9.5l ~2.5Gallons you will need to fill up before 115 miles using BMW's fuel consumption numbers. Also, there ar no passenger footpegs in the pictures so I am still unsure if it will be suitable for 2 up riding. A wet weight full of gas at under 350lbs is in the ballpark but a bit porky considering the bikes are stripped of any visible touring bits.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #160
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT
9 litre tank but 250kms per tank. Impressive but could be bigger for sure.

I get 186km per tank at 120km/h using BMW specs on the Xchallenge

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 02:42 PM   #161
SScratch
Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer: 1,584
Here's my take on the BMW lineup:
Currently they have the F650GS single and then a big leap to the R1200 with a large chasm in between. BMW needs to attract younger, less well-heeled buyers to replace it's aging customer base and try to gain some market share. It's ironic then, that BMW has no supply of F650s to sell currently - or is it? My guess is BMW is intentionally trying to deplete its supply of F650s and will phase them out. Witness the retail price drop earlier this year.
Enter the G650 and the F800. The G650 is a stripped down, lower, lighter weight, and less expensive replacement for the F650GS, intended as a simple starter bike with no pretentions as an adventure or sport-touring bike. The F800 is a bigger, heavier and more expensive version to fill the gap between the 650 and the 1200 and will have an abundance of optional and aftermarket products available to set it up for travelling.
Personally, I think the G is a step down for an F owner. I also think that the biggest flaw in the F650 is its weight. If the F800 is heavier, It would be a hard sell on me.
Old 10-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #162
jessehere
Ridin'

Oddometer: 769
I like the new bikes but what disappoints is no
6speed just like the F650's

jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #163
birdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
I like the bikes, however comma, after having owned the 650 for over a year now I have settled into it and feel like it would be a step backwards to go to a more dirt oriented bike. Last weekend I went to the Rally at Shiloh, toodled around Missisippi a while, took a bunch of twisties along pickwick, spotted some power lines and did some off roading then headed home. About 300 miles worth all total for the day. I really like the way I can eat up the highway miles on the GS.
Now an F800GS that would be sweet.
birdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #164
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,175
I'll have to test ride before I can make a decision, but I can see myself selling my '05 Yamaha R6 Raven and replacing it with the new G650 XMoto. Why? I bought the R6 to use on the track even though I haven't had it there yet. I really don't care about 150 mph. In fact I prefer tighter tracks and sub-100 mph speeds. I also want a dual sport of some kind to do a labrador trip and an alaska trip with. Lastly I'm interested in more comfort as I get older. I think the XMoto could perform all of these duties with some aftermarket soft luggage, a change to knobbies for labrador and alaska, and an aux fuel cell. All for under 10 grand, I'm sure.

Show me another bike that would offer that level of versatility and I'll pass this one by.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #165
kres
Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdawg
I like the bikes, however comma, after having owned the 650 for over a year now I have settled into it and feel like it would be a step backwards to go to a more dirt oriented bike. Last weekend I went to the Rally at Shiloh, toodled around Missisippi a while, took a bunch of twisties along pickwick, spotted some power lines and did some off roading then headed home. About 300 miles worth all total for the day. I really like the way I can eat up the highway miles on the GS.
Now an F800GS that would be sweet.
As someone that has modified his Dakar to trail-worthiness, I'd love to get more power and less weight. Short of dumping $5K on a TT Orynx Kit, the Dak ain't getting any lighter or faster.

The XCountry and Moto versions of this bike would prolly smoke a F650 in the twisties and straights - again, less weight more power is better in all applications.