User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2006, 09:50 AM   #181
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
In all it's nakedness:

I think the battery might still be behind the headstock.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #182
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,517
G650

Pics of the new BMW G650's, three versions.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/2007_bikes/...s/index.htm#30
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:21 PM   #183
Python423
TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer: 1,273
New BMW 650cc thumpers (53hp)

Looks like there is new new contenders in the dual sport 650cc thumper class. Claims to be 50+hp (huge advantage over XR650L,DR650,etc). I guess its in a different price bracket also tho? Also SuperMotard versions as well. The liquid-cooled mill is claimed to crank out 53 horsepower at 7,000 rpm with torque performance peaking at 44 lb-ft at 5,250 rpm. Overall, the new designs tip the scales at a claimed dry weight of 318 lbs for the Xchallenge up to 326 lbs for the Xcountry.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=3826&Page=1&WT.mc_id=35210&WT.dcsvid=1732777787

Python423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:35 PM   #184
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
looks italian.....I'm sure aprilla had some design input.....then again italian chicks are hot at least the ones in milan
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #185
Dirty Bling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
YES ITALIAN ,,,,SHAVED OR WHAT???? I DON'T LIKE TO much WILD BEAVER
Dirty Bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 04:08 PM   #186
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
Looks like middle pic shows one without the ABS exciter ring so I would consider this bike.
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #187
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,970
You are a week late.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python423
Looks like there is new new contenders in the dual sport 650cc thumper class. Claims to be 50+hp (huge advantage over XR650L,DR650,etc). I guess its in a different price bracket also tho? Also SuperMotard versions as well. The liquid-cooled mill is claimed to crank out 53 horsepower at 7,000 rpm with torque performance peaking at 44 lb-ft at 5,250 rpm. Overall, the new designs tip the scales at a claimed dry weight of 318 lbs for the Xchallenge up to 326 lbs for the Xcountry.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=3826&Page=1&WT.mc_id=35210&WT.dcsvid=1732777787

If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:33 PM   #188
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,671
Does any one have info on what KTM's [soon to be but not yet released] 690 puts out. It seems KTM and BMW are the only guys on the block who are serious about new dual sport bikes. 50 ponies cool beans. What is the price tag on the new one lung Beemers?
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:21 PM   #189
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,684
There's a few of these threads around here, but every time I see the pics, I want one.. I want that X Challenge if the HP lives up to the hype.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #190
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
Only 50+ HP! Feh! I'm getting close to 70.

DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #191
fixie
don't lie to me, man!

Oddometer: 73
G650s suitable for the long haul?

Think the G650s will be marketed as day use bikes? Even the Xcountry seems a bit sparse for a big trip. No doubt that these look pretty sweet, but for a 17,000 trip I think I'd still want a Dakar. Though if the G650 is comfortable, with enough add-ons, perhaps it would be better than the Dakar.
fixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #192
Skinskier
Future Mr. Mom

Oddometer: 34
What is going to happen to the Dakar?

These new bikes are beautiful, but I think the Dakar is still the best bike for me. It seems to have a better balance of adventure touring and off-road riding than any of these new bikes. Ideally, BMW would produce a Dakar style bike with the suspension from the new bikes? I wouldn't mind a little extra weight if the bike suits my needs and is more reliable. Of course, while everyone keeps drooling over the pictures, no one seems to know how they ride.

Does BMW plan to keep producing the Dakar? Are they planning on keeping the price the same or would it change with the addition of the new bikes?
Skinskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #193
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortwoods Tiger
Does any one have info on what KTM's [soon to be but not yet released] 690 puts out. It seems KTM and BMW are the only guys on the block who are serious about new dual sport bikes. 50 ponies cool beans. What is the price tag on the new one lung Beemers?
The new 690 LC4 mill (more like 660 actually) is good for 63hp right outta the box according to KTM.

Those new beemers do look nice, almost as light & powerful as my '03 640 Enduro too! (sorry, couldn't resist ) The SM version owes a lot to the Duke II I reckon.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:57 PM   #194
rustynail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
At first glance, IMHO, I think the X country could make an excellent adventure touring machine. Good ergonomics, available luggage, windscreen, high output generator for accessories, generous power for it's weight, and I assume the frame is strong enough for all the added weight.

If someone wants to superslab it all the way, I agree there are much better (read: heavier) bikes. Be my guest to them and that type of riding. I don't think that is what BMW is going for here. They already have bikes in the lineup for that. I think they are targeting the "road less traveled" adventure tourer with the X country.

I prefer to stick to unimproved back roads up to, at most, two-lane state highways, so the country will suit me just fine. If it comes in around the $8k mark, a country will be in my garage in the spring and, if it rides like the specs, will definitely be taken for a looong trip within a few month's time...

my $.02
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:14 PM   #195
Skinskier
Future Mr. Mom

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynail
At first glance, IMHO, I think the X country could make an excellent adventure touring machine. Good ergonomics, available luggage, windscreen, high output generator for accessories, generous power for it's weight, and I assume the frame is strong enough for all the added weight.

If someone wants to superslab it all the way, I agree there are much better (read: heavier) bikes. Be my guest to them and that type of riding. I don't think that is what BMW is going for here. They already have bikes in the lineup for that. I think they are targeting the "road less traveled" adventure tourer with the X country.

I prefer to stick to unimproved back roads up to, at most, two-lane state highways, so the country will suit me just fine. If it comes in around the $8k mark, a country will be in my garage in the spring and, if it rides like the specs, will definitely be taken for a looong trip within a few month's time...

my $.02

Rusty Nail,

You may be right. With a windscreen and a few other farkles, the Xcountry would be a better adventure bike, but I would still love to see a bigger gas tank. Lightweight would be nice, because I'm sure I'll be dropping that thing a few times while playing in the dirt. Probably not on singletrack, but I can go forever on jeep roads and easier ATV trails.

If anything, maybe a lot of people will be selling their used Dakars when they buy their new X bikes. I guess I better bulk up, because I'm sure I would drop those too.
Skinskier is offline   Reply With Quote