Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #211
Mr.Grumpy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
ugly is in the eye of the beholder.. I like'em and over the middle one..

oh, big time but who cares..
They look like thos electric motorcycles that they had in Cycle World a couple years back, especially from the right side.
Mr.Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #212
rustynail
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
First off, no way I would pay 13 large for the X Challenge.

What the heck does 205 mean?
rustynail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:56 AM   #213
soundasleeprecording
genuine pleather seating

Oddometer: 515
No effing way. The X bikes will be around $8-9k. The R&D has been minimal on these, as the motor (Rotax) has been around since Roman times & they've been working on these for 3 years. To compete with KTM, they have to stay under $10k (US), before farkling, of course.

205 = redundant/been posted/old news/REPEAT/overdone (my best guess)

R1200ST and some expensive bicycles.
soundasleeprecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #214
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 587
I like the thought of the X Challenge but being BMW it will be more pricey and more complicated than anything else in its class. I don't see how they are putting better components on it than the current GS and offering for around the same price unless they were unduely price gouging on the GS. Which in my opinion they were. They will sell for sure, there are many out there carrying the BMW flag as a status symbol. More so than any other brand. My next bike will be a KTM 950 ADV though.
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:51 PM   #215
wickerman777
Canyon fodder

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by willf650
I like the thought of the X Challenge but being BMW it will be more pricey and more complicated than anything else in its class. I don't see how they are putting better components on it than the current GS and offering for around the same price unless they were unduely price gouging on the GS. Which in my opinion they were. They will sell for sure, there are many out there carrying the BMW flag as a status symbol. More so than any other brand. My next bike will be a KTM 950 ADV though.
If you spend some real time looking into the tech that has been crammed into the new r and k bikes then you will quickly realize that they are not overpriced at all. For such a severe design makeover and the relative reliability that seems to be the case they have had a few issues but nothing like the ungodly mess that has been the ktm950's. My god it seems that nearly every picture thread with that bike in it their are more pics of the bike being worked on than ridden.

I have ridden the 950 adv and it was amazingly fun bike to ride. Leagues more fun that the 12gs but sadly shortly after my escapade on my friends 950 it suffered catastrophic eng failure with less than 10K on the clock (and no it wasn't my fault)

BMW'a and KTM's are both out of my price range anyway but being a mechanic I can truly appreciate how much performance bmw has stuffed into their bikes while keeping the power up weight down and reliability above average.
wickerman777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #216
JRMSR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
[QUOTE=Possu]Rear wheel, without a doubt. I think all BMW quoted power outpts are rear wheel.

You couldn't be more wrong. Not only does BMW only publish crank hp, but their published crank hp is 15-20%+ greater than all subsequent independent dyno testing.

The BMW 12GS is published 100 hp. It dynos at 83hp
the BMW K12s is published at 160hp, dynos at 133hp
F650GS is published 50hp, dynos at 42hp

Their weights and their hp claims have never been close to actual, ever.

This bike will be lucky to dyno at 45hp. It also needs to get 58mpg just to make 155miles. Not good for a dual sport IMO.
JRMSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:18 PM   #217
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerman777
If you spend some real time looking into the tech that has been crammed into the new r and k bikes then you will quickly realize that they are not overpriced at all. For such a severe design makeover and the relative reliability that seems to be the case they have had a few issues but nothing like the ungodly mess that has been the ktm950's. My god it seems that nearly every picture thread with that bike in it their are more pics of the bike being worked on than ridden.

I have ridden the 950 adv and it was amazingly fun bike to ride. Leagues more fun that the 12gs but sadly shortly after my escapade on my friends 950 it suffered catastrophic eng failure with less than 10K on the clock (and no it wasn't my fault)

BMW'a and KTM's are both out of my price range anyway but being a mechanic I can truly appreciate how much performance bmw has stuffed into their bikes while keeping the power up weight down and reliability above average.
I've ridden a 950 and thats why it will be my next bike, issues and all. It was the first bike I've ridden that made me have to own one. I swapped my buddy and sand that was sednding me into a tank slapper on my gs was barely a shimmy on the KTM. Don't think BMWs are without thier issues the first two or three years of 650 gs you either got a good bike or a bike with injection issues that refused to be fixed. As far as the bikes you mentioned I know nothing about them but I know when I purchased my 650 gs the price wasn't much lower than my buddies tiger. Seams a fuel injected triple is more for the money than a fuel injected single in my opinion. Even more so when the egine is pretty much a crate motor produced by a different manufacturer.
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:21 AM   #218
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
I like the naked look of that Xcountry. 08 is shaping up to be an exciting year for dualsports.
Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:07 PM   #219
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,749

Predictions for first ups on the accessory list:

Front fenders (from BMW)
Front fender extenders (from BMW)
Belt drive conversion kit (from BMW)
Racks (from BMW)
Engine guards (from BMW)
Panniers (from BMW)
Larger fuel tank (from BMW but released with the Adv version)

The factory usually misses the big accessory opportunities available at a model introduction. I think they will not miss this one.

I mean, they rolled out 4 flavors of this platform at once (you know the Adv version is finished and waiting). And if you look closely at the pictures, all the mount points are there and plenty room for a wider fuel tank.

And the leaked press photos are missing all accessories, which creates desire.

Look at the clearance on the top chain guard, that was once a belt guard.

And I'm betting there is room in front for the larger front belt drive sprocket.

The 'Adventure' version will have a black subframe so that 3foot long silver subframe piece will be less spindly to the eye. Just like the 1200Adv.

Something I can't guess, are the passenger pegs an accessory item?

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 10:06 PM   #220
BMWs2Dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
[quote=JRMSR It also needs to get 58mpg just to make 155miles. Not good for a dual sport IMO.[/quote]

This bike with the 650 fuel injected single will easily get 58 MPG. On my F650GS, I get 65 MPG doing 65 MPH on the freeway. I once got 75 MPG when I was averaging about 45 MPH on mountain roads on a 150 mile stretch between fuel stops.
I do agree that the fuel tank is somewhat on the small size.
However, if you are going to be riding offroad and on secondary roads most of the time, it is adequate.
BMWs2Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:03 AM   #221
Bored
But happy to be alive

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
Predictions for first ups on the accessory list:

Front fenders (from BMW)
Front fender extenders (from BMW)
Belt drive conversion kit (from BMW)
Racks (from BMW)
Engine guards (from BMW)
Panniers (from BMW)
Larger fuel tank (from BMW but released with the Adv version)

The factory usually misses the big accessory opportunities available at a model introduction. I think they will not miss this one.

I mean, they rolled out 4 flavors of this platform at once (you know the Adv version is finished and waiting). And if you look closely at the pictures, all the mount points are there and plenty room for a wider fuel tank.

And the leaked press photos are missing all accessories, which creates desire.

Look at the clearance on the top chain guard, that was once a belt guard.

And I'm betting there is room in front for the larger front belt drive sprocket.

The 'Adventure' version will have a black subframe so that 3foot long silver subframe piece will be less spindly to the eye. Just like the 1200Adv.

Something I can't guess, are the passenger pegs an accessory item?

- Jim
I am very interested in the X Chalenge.
Would there be any advantages to replacing the chain with a belt on that model ?
RE a larger fuel tank- I saw a photo on this thread of a G650 without a seat, and the tank appeared to fill the area below the seat?
I have considered everything from a street legal KTM EXC 525 to a KLR, to a KLR with a diesel engine www.1030.com and I think that the G650 X Chalenge is the perfect compromise. I get the impression, from this thread, that it will handle more dirt adventure than I am capable of, but yet have no trouble on city streets and country highways. The BMW warranty is the iceing on the cake!!!
I would buy panniers right away, at least one for the right side. I also like the headlight protector in some of the photos. But the X Chalenge appears to come with a skid plate, and the front fender looks fine to me. I might add a fender extender. I like the looks of the extenders on the GS1200. The biggest decision for me will be weather to get the ABS braking. I have owned several bikes over the years, and have always gotten by fine without it, but it might come in handy in an emergency. Of course all of this depends on the price. I would pay up to $9000 without a second thought; but if the price is $12,000... I'll be buying a Husky TE 610.
When do you guys think we will get more info on the new G650?
Thank you to everybody who has added info to this thread. If not for Advn Rider I would not even know about the G650 !
Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #222
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored
I am very interested in the X Chalenge.
Would there be any advantages to replacing the chain with a belt on that model ?

RE a larger fuel tank- I saw a photo on this thread of a G650 without a seat, and the tank appeared to fill the area below the seat?

But the X Chalenge appears to come with a skid plate, and the front fender looks fine to me. I might add a fender extender.
In a word, no chain maintenance. The press release says things like 'introduced to the joy of motorcycling' and 'daily commuter'. Those do not go together with oil, grunge, cleaning, weekly lubing, rust, grease, grunge, lubing, cleaning.

The fuel tank is concave on the sides. Making it convex could easily add 4L/1G per side. Like the old battery covers were convex. A gallon is only a 6 inch cube.

I get it. I mean more from dropping it. The radiators may not fare well in a bif.

Debris and water fly off a tire in tangent lines, not radial lines. The front of the motor and the underside of the steering head are in the pattern on all the models. Some more than others.

The bike is a big change from the F for sure. I guess the question is when a person makes the swap to belt drive, will they still be in the Chain Gang? It would kinda suck to be shunned because of that.

But I am sure there will be some colorful name for the belt drive 'converts'. Both an official, and unofficial , ones.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 10-25-2006 at 09:00 PM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #223
Bored
But happy to be alive

Oddometer: 62
Thanks for the good info.
You have a better eye for detail than I do.
Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:12 AM   #224
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
The bike is a big change from the F for sure. I guess the question is when a person makes the swap to belt drive, will they still be in the Chain Gang? It would kinda suck to be shunned because of that.
It will still be in the Chain Gang. Same motor and drivetrain. All 650 BMWs will be in the Chain Gang (same as the F650CS is in the Chain Gang even though it is a belt drive).
Old 10-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #225
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Here's one with an Akrapovic fitted