Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #4201
kiwiAdventure
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,398
Take the risers off you'll have more control in the corners. The 650x is bad for bending the handle bar fittings. The higher you have them the easier they are to bend out of shape.
kiwiAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #4202
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
How did you break the speedo?
It came that way. I bought a damaged bike at a reasonably low price: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=4166

I note your comment KiwiAdventure and I guess its logical that the higher the risers, the better the chances of twisting them. I wonder if a brace between the risers would help
dirtsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #4203
aussiestrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
I thought XChallenges were still produced for other markets. In other words, you could buy an 08 or 09 X in some European countries. But I might be mistaken about that.

I don't think I would have bought my X for $9K. But at $6K, I don't see how anybody wouldn't buy one.

On a side note - is it pronounced "cross challenge" or "ex challenge"? I've always called it the latter, but when I brought it to the dealer he called it a cross challenge. Which makes sense in terms of the XCountry.

I just checked the motorrad home page - it shows the 09 xch available in Germany.
Previous rides: ST1300; G650Xch; KLR650; ST1100; WR250F; K100TIC; K100RS; K75s; R100RS; R100/7; K100; XV1000; GS450s; GT250
aussiestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #4204
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,555
Touratech Risers

Those risers can be mounted facing forward or back. You can download the install instructions HERE. First thing I might try would be to flip them around and swap them left to right, then make sure I torque them down to 50nm. Instructions also suggest medium threadlock.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:44 AM   #4205
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I am certain they will never turn the production back "on" for the US market. Most of the XCHs sold here went for $2,500+ discount. Plus when you are selling brand new two year old models you know your product planning was all jacked up.

Can it come back to life? Sure.........

Adventure Challenge, the perfect bike for RTW solo travel

$10,500USD

7 gallon tank.
Regular shock.
Heated grips.
ABS option.
Steel subfarme with factory bags option.
Rally style fairing/screen.
A little more comfort in the stock seat.
A little more electrical capacity.
6 speed tranny (impossible, but hey, this is a wish list)
I'm just curious ... why would it be impossible to put a 6 speed tranny in it? I'm finding more and more the tranny is a bigger deal to me than the engine. I almost got an X-challenge but ended up getting a KTM690 because it had a 6 speed. What I didn't realize is that its 6 speeds are a tighter spread than the X challenges 5 speed.
Is it really harder to add a gear or spread the present gears out than say bumping the displacement up 30 cc's?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #4206
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl
I'm just curious ... why would it be impossible to put a 6 speed tranny in it? I'm finding more and more the tranny is a bigger deal to me than the engine. I almost got an X-challenge but ended up getting a KTM690 because it had a 6 speed. What I didn't realize is that its 6 speeds are a tighter spread than the X challenges 5 speed.
Is it really harder to add a gear or spread the present gears out than say bumping the displacement up 30 cc's?
The 690 needs the 6 gears since, as I understand things, it makes most of its power all at the top end. Space the gears out too much and it will get bogged down at each change, hence 6 close spaced gears.

The rotax engine in the Xch, on the other hand, has a very wide spread of power / torque and can cope with wide spread gears. With the gears spread as wide as they are you only need 5 so why bother with the extra expense, and possibly reduced strength, from fitting more (smaller) cogs in the same space.

The issue is not the gearbox but how well it is matched to the engine.

The DRZ on the other hand does need an extra gear for road work.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:39 PM   #4207
andoy castro
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer
The twist
They came with the bike, I didn't fit them myself but I will check the tightness. I dont have my glassess but the shape of the text looks like Touratec - there should be some fitting info on their site

Handle bar rotating is not uncommon if the bolts are not sufficiently tightened. Some times it's better for the handle bar to rotate when the bike suffers high impact if it's dropped on trail/track that for it to bend.
andoy castro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #4208
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568

I bought this off ebay, can I simply cut off the big end, connect the wires to my trickle charger and plug it into the socket beside the shock?

Cheers
DMcD
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #4209
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcd

I bought this off ebay, can I simply cut off the big end, connect the wires to my trickle charger and plug it into the socket beside the shock?

Cheers
DMcD
Yes, as long as you get the polarity right. Not sure what kind of trickle charger you use, but with the Battery Tender if you get the polarity wrong then plug it in, the Battery Tender simply will not turn itself on and the L.E.D. light (the one that shows it's working) stays dark. No harm, no foul. Get the polarity right and the L.E.D. will light up.

If you have a different brand of trickle charger, then I don't know what'll happen if you hook it up with the polarity reversed.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #4210
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Cheers, the charger has the leds you mentioned and the clips on the charger are also red and black. I'll get her wired up tomorrow. I never owned a bike before where the battery was so well hidden .
Old 11-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #4211
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

You can trust the charger red is positive and black is ground, but I wouldn't necessarily trust the eBay plug to be wired right. The eBay guy could just have easily wired his plug wrong. Just saying that it's easy to test this out BEFORE you do the soldering.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #4212
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

I hadn't thought of that, I'll just do it with the clips before I do anything permanent.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #4213
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 487
as long as your charger has reverse polarity light(red) youre fine. my x had the powerlet socket wired wrong from factory. i did the same as you and just had to reverse the cut wires. when the dealer fixed the socket i just switched the charger wires again. no harm no foul.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 PM   #4214
paul_g
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Still riding the XCountry in December

Looked for a "Gear" or "Jacket" thread without luck.

Just wanted to make a quick mention that I've now put over 3600 miles on the XCountry and still riding here in Taos, NM. (and obviously still loving it)

I've ridden my 17 mile commute in as low as 23 degrees (at speeds up to 70) while staying snug as a bug, thanks to a thermal lined Teknic Freeway Jacket, a pair of ski pants, a neck long ski mask, and a good pair of BMW all-year gloves.

Sometimes, the tips of the fingers get a little too cold, but not so much that it's a problem. If I add on some hand guards, I might not even need heated grips. If I add a fairing, I can see riding the bike down to maybe 15 degrees before I bail and take the truck.

I think it has something to do with the "dry cold" we have here. It doesn't go through you at all. Very tolerable.

Paul
paul_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #4215
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Perfect Dual Sport bike, i'm in India at the moment having ridden 12k from the UK and think it will be another 20k before I get home, what a great bike,it does the lot. Just thought i'd share that with you guys. There's a few pics on my site here if anybody is interested.

Cheers
Pete

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt

mcgiggle screwed with this post 12-01-2009 at 06:49 PM
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote