Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2007, 09:42 AM   #781
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Can you get the Xcountry seats? Might be cool to have the xcountry seat on the challenge for longer rides.

Absolutely, however as mentioned earlier that the XCountry has different body panels to accomodate the seat.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:42 PM   #782
chickin
The Chickin or the egg?

Oddometer: 119
Anyone know of aftermarket exhaust available besides the Remus? Anyone have links to pics of the Remus? Thanks in advance.

chickin screwed with this post 05-18-2007 at 12:50 PM
chickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:30 PM   #783
MOSLEYDS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
So, the word on the street is all the BMW "F" bikes will soon be history.

Don Mosley, MSgt, USAF, Retired
2006 BMW F650GS
http://www.cafepress.com/f650gs
MOSLEYDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #784
BMR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOSLEYDS
So, the word on the street is all the BMW "F" bikes will soon be history.

Double Posting will have you buying frosty beers for all of us.
BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:17 PM   #785
sweetgrass
Single Track Mind

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by srosa
You are going to love it!

Are you going to order the Remus FreeRide or Revolution can?
thats a good question, which would you recommend?

BTW picked it up at lunch, and believe me it was so hard to go back to work.
sweetgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:42 AM   #786
XCountryChallengeO_o
n00b...for now ;)

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Incorrect, the forks on the XChallenge have adjustable rebound and compression dampening while the Country does not. Also the amount of travel between the two is different.

As for the rear air shock, it is stupid simple to get on it, set the PSI and ride the pee out of it. You get tired and need more foot on the ground just let out some air and you are lower. The OEM air units have proven to be very reliable and they offer a much plusher ride offroad while providing maximum traction over a hydro unit. Yes you could tune an aftermarket hydro unit to a more specific criteria on an XChallenge (you can replace the air shock with a hydro), but you wont be doing that with the OEM stock hydro shock. So you need to spend $900 +/- for Ohlins and then know what you're doing in reference to tuning suspensions, and you still have a non adjustable front fork.

I do like the XCountry seat much more then the XChallenge for dual sport comfort, however the XCountry seat would prevent someone from really man handling the bike when offroad.
You make a good point! I didn't know the XCountry forks were un-adjustable, and I just found out that the XChallenge can accept a coil/oil rear shock (if you prefer that). Also, just for anyone out there that has a XCountry try to find a knobby front tire that is dirt worthy and is tube-type, I looked and could not find one (you could put a dirt bike rear tire on the front)

I guess I'll stick with my first idea. Get a XChallenge swap the XCountry seat and shrouding and leave it at that until I start putting on add-ons.

'BMW Atlanta', The reason I need the XCountry seat is because I'm 5'07" and have a 30" inseam so using the stock XChallenge seat would be quite a challenge and would probably be pretty dangerous too. ;)

And now for a question :
If you add the XCountry seat to the XChallenge could you just take off the shrouding or just shave the stuff in the way off??? I really want to get the XChallenge but I fear I'm too small for stock seat. if any one has any ideas or information let me know
XCountryChallengeO_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 06:52 AM   #787
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCountryChallengeO_o
You make a good point! I didn't know the XCountry forks were un-adjustable, and I just found out that the XChallenge can accept a coil/oil rear shock (if you prefer that). Also, just for anyone out there that has a XCountry try to find a knobby front tire that is dirt worthy and is tube-type, I looked and could not find one (you could put a dirt bike rear tire on the front)

I guess I'll stick with my first idea. Get a XChallenge swap the XCountry seat and shrouding and leave it at that until I start putting on add-ons.

'BMW Atlanta', The reason I need the XCountry seat is because I'm 5'07" and have a 30" inseam so using the stock XChallenge seat would be quite a challenge and would probably be pretty dangerous too. ;)

And now for a question :
If you add the XCountry seat to the XChallenge could you just take off the shrouding or just shave the stuff in the way off??? I really want to get the XChallenge but I fear I'm too small for stock seat. if any one has any ideas or information let me know

If you're worried about seat height on the XChallenge, you'll only get 1" maybe 1 1/2" of net result in lowering. The seat to peg hieght on the XCountry is 20" and 21 1/2 on the XChallenege. However the XCountry is a wider seat and has a different profile, so I would be surprised if you see much more then 1" net lowering result.

As for the stock shrouding, is does serve a function to direct the air over the radiators and protect everything behind them from sticks and whatever else that might reach out and grab wiring and such. I would do it for a test ride before being sure, but I would not run taht way with regularity personally.

as for the tires on the XCountry, you can run a TKC80 front 19" tire which is a pretty good knobbie for a dual sport. Not as good a just about any 21" you could throw on there, but good enough IMHO. You can run tubless tires with tubes, but not tube tires tubeless for future reference.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #788
Discovery
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Oddometer: 310
BOBBY BMW! When oh when are the Remus kits coming in! That stock can is HEAVY and HOT!

Rode yesterday and got totally bogged down in mud with a friend on his DRZ. Sure was actually FUN comparred to getting bogged down on a Dakar or R1200GS! Much easier to pick up too!

How about a group buy!

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:46 AM   #789
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Just got the pricing info last night for them actually. They will be offering an Aluminum and Titanium can with a removeable DB Killer (100-94db respectively) and an optional header pipe. Availability will be a couple more weeks and I'll throw something up on the vendor forum when they are actually in the country ready for shipment.

We (GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB and I) did some night riding last night in some tight single track and he made that G650XChallenge look like a kids bike. He had no problem launching it on one wheel through the woods over rough terrain, even surprised me. Anyone out there want to know how the G650XChallenge stacks up against the LC4's just PM him, he rides an LC4E into the ground and is a hell of a rider to boot.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #790
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Quote:
Originally Posted by couver
Well, a few days ago I posted that I was a proud owner of a new X-Challenge on this thread. This morning I posted in Face Plant after an unfortunate crash. I thought I would post the bike damage here for those interested. I only saw the bike right after the crash and then someone else picked it up and took it in to the shop. I dropped the bike hard on its left side. My main recollections of the damage were bent handlebars and a shattered rear plastic (the piece over the tailpipe). Since it was new, insurance is going to fix everything, including cosmetic stuff. As much of their list as I can remember from the phone conversation is as follows: front fork cover, handlebars, left grip, steering something (maybe riser?), left turn signal, left rear plastic, front fender, tailpipe (huge ding), clutch lever, and probably a few others things I can't remember. Total estimate with labor is around $2,700. ETA on plastics from Germany/Italy: 3 weeks, but really no good idea on the timing as far as I could tell.

Bikes are alot easier to fix then bones, specially with good insurance. Glad you made it out ok.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #791
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
Get well soon!
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #792
650x
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
Installed Dunlop 606 Knobbies on the 650 X today. Should be better in the mud and other off road riding. However, the new tires are a little different size than the stockers. Now the speedometer is now reading off. Does anyone know how to change the settings in the display so the speed reeding will be correct? When you first turn on the bike, a number is displayed for a few seconds. I assume that number is in reference to the tire size. If I could adjust that number, then I should be able to get the speed reading correct. Anyone out there know the procedure for making the adjustment?

Thanks in advance for any help I may receive.
650x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #793
XCountryChallengeO_o
n00b...for now ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
If you're worried about seat height on the XChallenge, you'll only get 1" maybe 1 1/2" of net result in lowering. The seat to peg hieght on the XCountry is 20" and 21 1/2 on the XChallenege. However the XCountry is a wider seat and has a different profile, so I would be surprised if you see much more then 1" net lowering result.

As for the stock shrouding, is does serve a function to direct the air over the radiators and protect everything behind them from sticks and whatever else that might reach out and grab wiring and such. I would do it for a test ride before being sure, but I would not run taht way with regularity personally.

as for the tires on the XCountry, you can run a TKC80 front 19" tire which is a pretty good knobbie for a dual sport. Not as good a just about any 21" you could throw on there, but good enough IMHO. You can run tubless tires with tubes, but not tube tires tubeless for future reference.
Thanks for the advice and info! This helps me allot!

I think I'm just worrying to much about the seat height, I talked to my friend who rides a Honda CR250R, which has a 37" seat height. He has a 31" inseam and tip-toes it at stops or leaves one foot on the peg, which he said is allot easier then tip-toeing it. Like it says in my profile, the tallest bike I've had was a Suzuki RM125.

XCountryChallengeO_o screwed with this post 05-20-2007 at 12:34 AM
Old 05-20-2007, 02:42 AM   #794
chickin
The Chickin or the egg?

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCountryChallengeO_o
Thanks for the advice and info! This helps me allot!

I think I'm just worrying to much about the seat height, I talked to my friend who rides a Honda CR250R, which has a 37" seat height. He has a 31" inseam and tip-toes it at stops or leaves one foot on the peg, which he said is allot easier then tip-toeing it. Like it says in my profile, the tallest bike I've had was a Suzuki RM125.
The seat height of the XChallenge should be about the same as most RM125's, they were all a little over 37", just like your friend's CR250R.
chickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #795
XCountryChallengeO_o
n00b...for now ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickin
The seat height of the XChallenge should be about the same as most RM125's, they were all a little over 37", just like your friend's CR250R.
Your right, I just never though about it.
Actually I have my downhill bicycle seat height at 37" and I can tip-toe that fine and flat foot it with one leg.

I guess I never though about the seat height until now, and it turns out I've been riding with a 37" seat height this whole entire time.