Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2007, 07:26 AM   #796
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
I did my airbox mod yesterday afternoon. The only difference for me was the dist block for the ABS brakes needed to be slid to the side(Faux cover bolts).

When I picked the bike up I was shocked to see the ABS button and extra lines. At first it was a downer, but after some ripping on some dirt roads, I was glad to have it while I was getting used to the X. That rear rotor is really big Some have said that ABS on a dirt bike is dumb, but after some thought I actually like it. If the lakes freeze this year, ABS could come in handy.

Barkbuster bitch was the same for me and the ball removal was a must.
Otherwise, the bike has been a blast.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #797
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
I talked to my BMW dealer and he assured me the airbox mod wouldn't do any harm as long as you weren't riding completely full throttle for a prolonged stretch. He's actually working on getting even more air in the engine he told me with the aid of twinair.

With this setup (airbox mod and 14 tooth front sprocket) I really like the bike and even on tarmac I think the bike is plenty strong enough. Nice fat low end and wheelies in second are nothing but a twist of the throttle. No clutch needed.

question: I'm thinking of fitting bar risers to make riding standing up a bit more comfortable. Not really sure about them though. As long as I'm chasing hard and riding aggressive (still standing up) the bars are perfect for me. When I take it a little slower though they are a little bit too low. And sitting down they are perfect as well. I'm afraid using risers will compromise the control when riding sitting down.

Does anyone know which Magura bars the stock Xchallenge bars can be compared to? Do the Magura SX bars have the same rise? I'm possibly even more interested in bars that are 10 mm higher than in using risers. I want the center of my bars to be low so the gps mount sits as low as possible and 10mm could be just enough without raising the bars too much.

To be continued....
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 10:52 AM   #798
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Sent an inquiry last week to GPR about the possibility of a stabilizer for the X. They just answered that they will take a look at it.

At a casual glance, it looks like there may be enough room for an under the bar model to fit. Maybe if a few more people would e-mail them about making a kit for the X, it will inspire them to make one.

http://www.gprstabilizer.com/
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #799
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
I talked to my BMW dealer and he assured me the airbox mod wouldn't do any harm as long as you weren't riding completely full throttle for a prolonged stretch. He's actually working on getting even more air in the engine he told me with the aid of twinair.

With this setup (airbox mod and 14 tooth front sprocket) I really like the bike and even on tarmac I think the bike is plenty strong enough. Nice fat low end and wheelies in second are nothing but a twist of the throttle. No clutch needed.

question: I'm thinking of fitting bar risers to make riding standing up a bit more comfortable. Not really sure about them though. As long as I'm chasing hard and riding aggressive (still standing up) the bars are perfect for me. When I take it a little slower though they are a little bit too low. And sitting down they are perfect as well. I'm afraid using risers will compromise the control when riding sitting down.

Does anyone know which Magura bars the stock Xchallenge bars can be compared to? Do the Magura SX bars have the same rise? I'm possibly even more interested in bars that are 10 mm higher than in using risers. I want the center of my bars to be low so the gps mount sits as low as possible and 10mm could be just enough without raising the bars too much.

To be continued....
Yo MAX, I think the bars are the same ones that came on my 2k 640 Adv.
They sure look pretty close.

The intake noise is pretty darn cool with the Airbox lid taken off
Old 05-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #800
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

In yer face!!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #801
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,152
Laugh

it is almost done. New G650X challenge is on its way...............

Today i have sold my 525, was a fun bike, but i didn´t use it too much due a lack of confidence on its reliability. I definetly say goodbye to the orange side, my ktm experience started on 2003 with the 950LC8 which i was forced to sell on 2006 due to KTM poor service on that bike´s guarantee engine problems. I bought 525 cause no other dealer accepted my 950 on exchange. 525 gave me CDI problems so i had to replace it at my expenses. Orange adventures as an stupid client are over now.

Well, today also i ordered my G650X Challenge, should be available in less than 4 weeks. I ordered it with akrapovic full set, low seat, additional plug and front light glass protector. I like to install GS1200 hand guards cause originals from XCH are little crap, otherwise i´ll go for acerbis. I´ll use it with stock metxeler enduro3 tires for summer, i´ll put a set of knobbies for winter.

I am keeping my GS12000Adventure cause each bike is for different range. I see myself going to alps or romania with the GS, even going to Morocco for touring, as well as doing serious off road in Morocco´s open deserts with GXChallenge.

I hope to find on XChallenge at least the kind of behavior i remember from my former XR600 and XR650R, but ............with electric start.

In case i am not satisfied, i´ll abuse it until new BMW450 enduro be released. but i really Hope i like G650XCH...............
Old 05-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #802
srosa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickin
Anyone know of aftermarket exhaust available besides the Remus? Anyone have links to pics of the Remus? Thanks in advance.
Courtesy of maxmoto.com

srosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #803
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Will the Baja designs folding mirror screw into the X perches, or do I need that Magura thinga ma jig I think Mr Splash did them

word
Old 05-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #804
Discovery
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Oddometer: 310
Got them last week and they bolt right in. For $14 each they are the best farkle bargain out there. Last weekend alone I dropped the bike twice both times I would have snapped the mirror housing right off.

Now, if I can just get the Cycra bark busters to work. The factory is sending me the #3 fixtures. The left side works great but the right side clamp gets interfered with by the brake reservoir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Will the Baja designs folding mirror screw into the X perches, or do I need that Magura thinga ma jig I think Mr Splash did them

word

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:00 PM   #805
sweetgrass
Single Track Mind

Oddometer: 195
changing the oil

has anyone changed the oil in the X Challenge?
i just pulled the drain plug, drained all the oil out so i thought. but when i unscrewed the filler cap/dip stick there is still oil in the tank.

so apparently i missing something, but cant figure it out as the user manual doesnt provide any info on changing the oil.
sweetgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:02 PM   #806
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
Got them last week and they bolt right in. For $14 each they are the best farkle bargain out there. Last weekend alone I dropped the bike twice both times I would have snapped the mirror housing right off.

Now, if I can just get the Cycra bark busters to work. The factory is sending me the #3 fixtures. The left side works great but the right side clamp gets interfered with by the brake reservoir.

Hey man, I have a set of the cycra's with the triple clamp mount sitting in my garage right now awaiting final assembly on the new and improved DRZ. You're welcome to come by and eyeball everything to see if it'll all line up that way.
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:26 PM   #807
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgrass
has anyone changed the oil in the X Challenge?
i just pulled the drain plug, drained all the oil out so i thought. but when i unscrewed the filler cap/dip stick there is still oil in the tank.

so apparently i missing something, but cant figure it out as the user manual doesnt provide any info on changing the oil.
Remember it's a dry sump engine. If you only pull the drainplug in the crankcase you won't get all the oil (as you already have noticed of course). You need to empty the oil tank as well. I don't know yet how to do that, but my first reaction would be to pull the second plug underneath the engine. The one next to the first drainplug and that is connected to the oil return line.

You could also use a piece of fish tank hose, stick it in the oil tank and suck/syphon the oil out. That's the way I used to change the oil on my Dakar.

Good luck and let us know ok?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:17 AM   #808
PaulXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
I hope to find on XChallenge at least the kind of behavior i remember from my former XR600 and XR650R, but ............with electric start.
Yo Alfaris

I used to have an XR650 and I have ridden an XR400 across Morocco - my XC feels like the same sort of bike - but way better suspension and electric start. Im blatting round the trails in Catalunya on mine and lovin it!

I very nearly bought a KTM 450 EXC last year when I knew that I was moving out to Spain coz I new there'd be lots of riding to be done but I'm glad I waited for the XC.

Paul
PaulXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:47 AM   #809
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,152
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcelona_Paul
Yo Alfaris I used to have an XR650 and I have ridden an XR400 across Morocco - my XC feels like the same sort of bike - but way better suspension and electric start. Im blatting round the trails in Catalunya on mine and lovin it! I very nearly bought a KTM 450 EXC last year when I knew that I was moving out to Spain coz I new there'd be lots of riding to be done but I'm glad I waited for the XC.Paul
Hi Paul,

My priorities on a bike are:

1. Lack of mechanical problems.
2. Good technical service within my area.
3. To have fun riding it.

After that, will be all the technical features..........

I´ve been pretty nervous last night, not much sleep, i´ll go today to BMW dealer to check when the XC will be available. The thoughts as "am i doing right choosing this bike?" came to me last night as a hammer on my head. But.............the new day brings me new thoughs as ........"I WANT IT NOW"

Best Regards.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:40 AM   #810
PaulXC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
Hi Paul,

My priorities on a bike are:

1. Lack of mechanical problems.
2. Good technical service within my area.
3. To have fun riding it.

After that, will be all the technical features..........
Yep - that was exactly my priority set. Which was why I didn't buy the KTM last year - I'm sure it would have been real fun to ride but I didn't fancy all the maintenance that seemed to come with it.

You'll enjoy it!

I'm now trying to figure out how to explain to my good lady wife that I need a GS1200 Adventurer as well as the XC - not holding out much hope on this though ....

Paul
PaulXC is offline   Reply With Quote