Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2007, 08:41 AM   #811
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
Got them last week and they bolt right in. For $14 each they are the best farkle bargain out there. Last weekend alone I dropped the bike twice both times I would have snapped the mirror housing right off.

Now, if I can just get the Cycra bark busters to work. The factory is sending me the #3 fixtures. The left side works great but the right side clamp gets interfered with by the brake reservoir.

Cool, glad to hear it, thanks man
Old 05-22-2007, 08:55 AM   #812
sweetgrass
Single Track Mind

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
Remember it's a dry sump engine. If you only pull the drainplug in the crankcase you won't get all the oil (as you already have noticed of course). You need to empty the oil tank as well. I don't know yet how to do that, but my first reaction would be to pull the second plug underneath the engine. The one next to the first drainplug and that is connected to the oil return line.

You could also use a piece of fish tank hose, stick it in the oil tank and suck/syphon the oil out. That's the way I used to change the oil on my Dakar.

Good luck and let us know ok?
Max, thanks for responding.

i was somewhat successful i guess, still a little unsure of the correct way.
but i did try pulling the second plug that is attached to a steel (or whatever its made of) oil line, very little oil drained from there. so what i ended up doing to drain most of the oil out of the tank, was using a small hose, not small enough though, and attaching it to a bleed screw that resides at the bottom of the oil tank itself. this did empty most of the oil from the tank.
i then filled the tank to Min level, started the engine for just a moment, re-checked the level. it was low as suspected, then filled to Min level again, started the engine and this time ran it until the fans came on. this time when i checked the oil level it registered Max.

when i started this ordeal i noticed that there was oil on the skid plate, upon tracing the origin i noticed that i had a little gouge on the right side cover. that was from a rock that was thrown up on my first real dirt ride this past Sunday. but i also noticed that the main drain plug was kinda loose. so i wasnt for certain that the gouge was the cause of my oil leak. but after changing the oil, i checked the gouge again and sure enough its leaking from that area, and i apparently have a hair line crack on my right side cover.
i've been riding dirt bikes most of my life and have never had this happened, even hit some pretty big rocks on my 1200GS that left their mark but didnt crack the engine casing. pretty bummed about this, and while riding it out in the desert sunday the front end seemed loose, like at the head stock.

sweetgrass screwed with this post 05-22-2007 at 09:01 AM
sweetgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #813
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetgrass
while riding it out in the desert sunday the front end seemed loose, like at the head stock.

Hey Sweet, mine was loose 100 miles after picking the bike up. I would imagine that its part of the first check up to re adjust it.

The skid stock skid plate is pretty nice, but it sure is lacking on the sides.
Can you take a pic of the area to show us the weak area? I'm planning on adding some "Wings" to the stock plate for protection.

Goodluck
Old 05-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #814
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
That's no coincidence, my headstock was loose as well. I readjusted it last saturday.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #815
sweetgrass
Single Track Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
Hey Sweet, mine was loose 100 miles after picking the bike up. I would imagine that its part of the first check up to re adjust it.

The skid stock skid plate is pretty nice, but it sure is lacking on the sides.
Can you take a pic of the area to show us the weak area? I'm planning on adding some "Wings" to the stock plate for protection.

Goodluck
wife took the camera with her yesterday so i couldnt take a pic of the damage. but i will tonight when i get home.

sweetgrass screwed with this post 05-23-2007 at 09:24 AM
Old 05-22-2007, 12:50 PM   #816
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
Got them last week and they bolt right in. For $14 each they are the best farkle bargain out there. Last weekend alone I dropped the bike twice both times I would have snapped the mirror housing right off.

Now, if I can just get the Cycra bark busters to work. The factory is sending me the #3 fixtures. The left side works great but the right side clamp gets interfered with by the brake reservoir.
Hey Discovery,

I just got done mounting some Acerbis handguards on my XChallenge..I have the ABS model, so the brake resevoir is even more of a problem.

What I did was loosen the whole brake lever assembly and slide it as far right as I could. Then I cut the ball off the brake lever. I use an Acerbis mounting kit from Rocky Mountain ATV that have a swivel point on the mounts so there is some adjustability at that point. It's a snug fit but it all works. I don't know if the Acerbis kit would work for Cycra guards, but if you think they might, let me know, as I bought too many parts and have extra hardware....

Cheers,

Luca

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #817
sweetgrass
Single Track Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
That's no coincidence, my headstock was loose as well. I readjusted it last saturday.
thanks Max, thats a good thing to know.
i just told my service guy at my BMW dealership to give him a heads up, as i'm taking mine in tomorrow to try and get my case cover covered under warranty.

sweetgrass screwed with this post 05-23-2007 at 09:30 AM
Old 05-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #818
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
Hey Discovery,

I just got done mounting some Acerbis handguards on my XChallenge..I have the ABS model, so the brake resevoir is even more of a problem.

What I did was loosen the whole brake lever assembly and slide it as far right as I could. Then I cut the ball off the brake lever. I use an Acerbis mounting kit from Rocky Mountain ATV that have a swivel point on the mounts so there is some adjustability at that point. It's a snug fit but it all works. I don't know if the Acerbis kit would work for Cycra guards, but if you think they might, let me know, as I bought too many parts and have extra hardware....

Cheers,

Luca
I was just trying to mount my handguards and ran into the same problem.
What did you do about the bar end side of things? Could you post a pic?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #819
Guaglione
Country mice

Quote:
I was just trying to mount my handguards and ran into the same problem.
What did you do about the bar end side of things? Could you post a pic?
I'll have to snap some pics tonight, but in the meantime:

I ordered two Acerbis Mounting kits from Rocky Mountain ATV, both of the swivel variety. One was for the Magura bars, the other for regular tapered bars. Ultimately, I did not use the Magura kit, except to swipe a few pieces of black rubber hose.
Acerbis big bar swivel mounting kit:
Link

Acerbis Magura bar mounting kit w/Swivel:
Link

These are the guards I used (In black, of course) but any Acerbis guard such as the Rally or the Multiconcept ought to work:
Link

Actually, I take that back. The Multiplo and Multiconcept are a better choice for the X Challenge because they have a little more room on the outside bend for the levers. The Rally guards sweep in closer to the levers, and more futzing and trimming might be needed.

On the clutch side I just cut a hole in the end of the grip, sliped a 3/4" piece of black hose over the Acerbis bar insert screw, and inserted it into the bar end. The piece of hose helps center the screw, as the end of the bar is actually a little wider than the part 1" in from the end (I think they are prethreaded for BMW hand guards). I placed the clamp around the bar (It has a small pass through for wiring) and bolted it all together. This side is a cinch.

On the brake side, I cut the wide part off the grip, exposing the end of the throttle tube. Then I peeled the grip back a little further and used a hack saw to cut away the throttle tube, and trimmed it with a knife to get it just inside the end of the bar. I cut back the grip to match, then went through the same process as the other side. As I stated before, to make this work on an ABS model bike, I slid the whole brake lever assembly to the right, and trimmed the ball end off the brake lever. It's still a snug fit, but by roating the brake lever/resevoir assembly and sort of tugging and grunting, it will work. It would be much easier on a non abs bike. Also, I rotated the throttle assemble a little, as I also tilted the brake lever down a little, and the throttle cable gets in the way.

in fact, if you want pics right away, go to the Touratech website and look at the bike they show in the catalog. That is the bike they prepped for Ramona Eichhorn to use on the Can2Mex trip. They used the Acerbis Multiplo handguards on her non ABS X Challenge (but they took the Acerbis logo off!) The splash page of the site ( link shows her bike with the guards mounted, and the shots of the bar risers show the clamps on the bars (link)

If you need bar inserts, send me a PM, as I cannibalized parts from the Magura kit, and can't send it back. But I could send you two bar end insterts, with black hose pre-mounted, cheap. However, these bar inserts are keyed on the ends specifically for the Acerbis guards. The tab on the end of the insert fits into a slot on the guards to keep them from spinning.

Winston Churchill

Guaglione screwed with this post 05-22-2007 at 02:48 PM
Old 05-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #820
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
I'll have to snap some pics tonight, but in the meantime:

I ordered two Acerbis Mounting kits from Rocky Mountain ATV, both of the swivel variety. One was for the Magura bars, the other for regular tapered bars. Ultimately, I did not use the Magura kit, except to swipe a few pieces of black rubber hose.
Acerbis big bar swivel mounting kit:
Link

Acerbis Magura bar mounting kit w/Swivel:
Link

These are the guards I used (In black, of course) but any Acerbis guard such as the Rally or the Multiconcept ought to work:
Link

Actually, I take that back. The Multiplo and Multiconcept are a better choice for the X Challenge because they have a little more room on the outside bend for the levers. The Rally guards sweep in closer to the levers, and more futzing and trimming might be needed.

On the clutch side I just cut a hole in the end of the grip, sliped a 3/4" piece of black hose over the Acerbis bar insert screw, and inserted it into the bar end. The piece of hose helps center the screw, as the end of the bar is actually a little wider than the part 1" in from the end (I think they are prethreaded for BMW hand guards). I placed the clamp around the bar (It has a small pass through for wiring) and bolted it all together. This side is a cinch.

On the brake side, I cut the wide part off the grip, exposing the end of the throttle tube. Then I peeled the grip back a little further and used a hack saw to cut away the throttle tube, and trimmed it with a knife to get it just inside the end of the bar. I cut back the grip to match, then went through the same process as the other side. As I stated before, to make this work on an ABS model bike, I slid the whole brake lever assembly to the right, and trimmed the ball end off the brake lever. It's still a snug fit, but by roating the brake lever/resevoir assembly and sort of tugging and grunting, it will work. It would be much easier on a non abs bike. Also, I rotated the throttle assemble a little, as I also tilted the brake lever down a little, and the throttle cable gets in the way.

in fact, if you want pics right away, go to the Touratech website and look at the bike they show in the catalog. That is the bike they prepped for Ramona Eichhorn to use on the Can2Mex trip. They used the Acerbis Multiplo handguards on her non ABS X Challenge (but they took the Acerbis logo off!) The splash page of the site ( link shows her bike with the guards mounted, and the shots of the bar risers show the clamps on the bars (link)

If you need bar inserts, send me a PM, as I cannibalized parts from the Magura kit, and can't send it back. But I could send you two bar end insterts, with black hose pre-mounted, cheap. However, these bar inserts are keyed on the ends specifically for the Acerbis guards. The tab on the end of the insert fits into a slot on the guards to keep them from spinning.

Dude, your the man! Thank you for taking the time. I was trying to mount my Rally brush handguards and they have a slightly different mounting arrangement than the rally pro guards. I forgot that I have a set of Rally pro's from another bike I had, so I dug through my parts bin and found them.

I called my local moto shop and asked them to order me a new mount kit
for fat bars. With luck, I'll be in business

Will the fat bar mounting kit come with a new set of bar end inserts?
If not, I'll take you up on your offer for parts.

Thank you for taking the time.

aaron
Old 05-22-2007, 03:32 PM   #821
Guaglione
Country mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash
Hey: Here's my setup using Enduro Engineering's mount. It allows a tank bag to be used and not hit the GPS. I also mounted an ICO odometer for accurate mileage, the stock odometer is driven off the rear wheel. The folding mirrors are from Baja Designs.

I posted this before, some may have missed it.

Jack
Jack,

I assume the Baja Designs Mirrors mounted into the stock mirror mounts?

Thanks,

Luca

Winston Churchill
Old 05-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #822
Guaglione
Country mice

Quote:
Dude, your the man! Thank you for taking the time. I was trying to mount my Rally brush handguards and they have a slightly different mounting arrangement than the rally pro guards. I forgot that I have a set of Rally pro's from another bike I had, so I dug through my parts bin and found them.

I called my local moto shop and asked them to order me a new mount kit
for fat bars. With luck, I'll be in business

Will the fat bar mounting kit come with a new set of bar end inserts?
If not, I'll take you up on your offer for parts.

Thank you for taking the time.

aaron
Aaron,

My pleasure. Assuming the kit you got is the full mounting kit and not just the clamps, you should be good to go. Did you get the swiveling bar clamps? They are not a requirement on a non ABS bike.....

The Rally Pros will have a tighter curve to them than the ones I used, but as I said, if you cut the ball end off the brake lever, which is a not at all uncommon thing to do on dirt bikes, you'll be ok.

Cheers,

Luca

Winston Churchill
Old 05-22-2007, 09:05 PM   #823
Discovery
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Oddometer: 310
Remus Pipe Necessary?

Been looking into getting the Remus systems primarily for heat control.

Have to ask - is the header pipe necessary?

The stock pipe looks pretty clear. Just wondering what the upside is on the Remus pipe.

Thanks

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #824
jack splash
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 2,296
Baja Design Folding Mirrors

Quote:
Jack,

I assume the Baja Designs Mirrors mounted into the stock mirror mounts?

Thanks,

Luca
Yes, they screw right into the stock perch.
Jack

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:58 AM   #825
Guaglione
Country mice

pics of handsguards....

ok, as requested:

Bar end inserts with tubing:

Left side guard installed:

Left side clamp:

Right side install, note that brake assembly has been shifted further right:

Right side assembly, note that ball has been cut off brake lever to fit handguards:

Ain't she purty??:

Rally Pro handguards on my XR650R, noted tigher curve:

gratuitious picture of a really good chicken fried steak I had this weekend:

Winston Churchill