User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #826
jhelm
Loving it Dirty

Oddometer: 45
Question Clutch Break-in

Quick question. Hit about 1200 miles on my g650x....love it by the way. This past week I've been riding it to work to save the miles on my RT for a trip to NY next week. I noticed that suddenly, the clutch has chnage feel.

For the first 1000 miles, the clutch felt very tight. In other wrods, as soon as I began to release it, it would start to engage. No play at all. This forced me to shift by pulling the clutch all the way back to the handle bar....and down shift the same way.

I prefer to shift and brake using one finger....which the tight clutch wouldn't allow. My RT does, but i didn't think much about it.

So, yesterday and today, suddenly the clutch is perfect.....it just takes a slight pressure on the clutch to permit rapid shifting up and down. I dont even need to pull it all the way back to the handlebar when I stop. I love this clutch.

My question/concern.....Am I about to loose my clutch.....I would not have expected it to break-in so suddenly. It seems fine, but just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

Jason
jhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:35 AM   #827
Oni
Ronin

Oddometer: 1,839
Maybe you had your cable adjusted too loose??? Maybe the lock nut for the adjuster is not tight? I'd check the adjuster so you won't accidently fry a clutch.

I know on my Honda XR, they recommend having enough slack in the cable to insert a nickel between the lever and perch before it starts to disengage the clutch as you pull the lever.

That is so when it gets hot it has enough slack so it won't start to slip.

Should have my X by this weekend!

Oni screwed with this post 05-23-2007 at 11:47 AM
Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:43 AM   #828
46Harley
not soon enough

Oddometer: 28
Thumb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqtJc_t25Ww
46Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:17 PM   #829
doc riverz
anatra di seduta

Oddometer: 4,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaglione
gratuitious picture of a really good chicken fried steak I had this weekend:
Sweet!
doc riverz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:22 PM   #830
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc riverz
Sweet!
No savoury
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #831
sweetgrass
Single Track Mind

Oddometer: 195
i will have pics of the damage when i pick my bike up from the shop, i promise. but just an FYI, BMW will not replace the case cover, as they view it as road hazard.

i kinda knew they wouldnt cover it but i was hopeful none-the-less.
sweetgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:06 PM   #832
Guaglione
Country mice

Oddometer: 2,293
Ooops, I Almost Forgot

When I mounted the clamps, I reversed the left and right clamp for a better angle, but you have to then turn the clamp upside down to make it work with the taper of the bar....

So, right side clamp on left side of bars, with the left side face plate on the clamp (if you look closely, you can see the "R" AND "L" stamps:

"This is the sort of ardent pedantry up with which I will not put."
Winston Churchill
Guaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 PM   #833
Discovery
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Oddometer: 310
I got my Cycra Bark Busters mounted today. Like Guaglione I reveresed the Brake side on my ABS model. Pics below.

HOWEVER - I did not cut the brake lever - what I noticed is that the brake lever on my bike was assembeled WAY out and not symetric with the clutch. Like most I like to use my index and middle finger to clutch and brake - the clutch is perfect but the brake needed to be moved in about 1 inch. Magically, this was perfect for not only getting the lever inside the guard but also making the attachment point work.

I'm in the middle of mounting my Zumo - I want to mount it on my non-risen bars - got the parts tonight but forgot I needed to stand off the bar to clear the clamps. Will hopefully have pics tomorrow.

Got gas tonight - went 120mi and filled 2 gals - not bad for mixed riding heavy on 60mph cruising = 60MPG.

Also - has anyone noticed the Gas Icon on the display. I think this is miles left when the low fuel light is on - because I can't get it to come on otherwise.

I also got and test mounted the bike on an Add-a-Bike hitch mount. Works great.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.
Theodore Roosevelt

Discovery screwed with this post 05-23-2007 at 08:17 PM
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 11:12 PM   #834
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,692
Yepper, that's the hauler I was talking about. Did you find it locally and how much did it set you back?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #835
Nemesis
just ride the damn thing

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
Also - has anyone noticed the Gas Icon on the display. I think this is miles left when the low fuel light is on - because I can't get it to come on otherwise.
Yeah, that gas icon seems to be totally undocumented. It shows the miles traveled since the bike went on reserve (counts up, not down). Seems a little inconsistent though, I don't always get it when the low fuel light comes on. And once I saw it appear with the low fuel light but then disappear before I fueled up.

Tom

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats " - H. L. Mencken
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:27 AM   #836
Discovery
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Yepper, that's the hauler I was talking about. Did you find it locally and how much did it set you back?
A bit pricey Bobby - it was $400 delivered. It's worth it though - the whole thing wieghs about 25lbs. Which means... my wife can come pick the bike an me up if necessary:0 Not what I hope but give me th confidence to go a few more places.

I did nake one mod - I ducktaped some pipe insulation where the bike comes in contact with the vertical bar so I can tie it down and cut down on the back/forth movement.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust...if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.
Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-24-2007, 05:28 AM   #837
Discovery
R1200GS / Suwanee, GA

Hopefully this means that a computer upgrade with fix this in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Yeah, that gas icon seems to be totally undocumented. It shows the miles traveled since the bike went on reserve (counts up, not down). Seems a little inconsistent though, I don't always get it when the low fuel light comes on. And once I saw it appear with the low fuel light but then disappear before I fueled up.

Tom

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 05-24-2007, 10:55 AM   #838
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
How about this demo bike in BMW Motorsports colors?

Max Kool screwed with this post 05-24-2007 at 12:00 PM
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #839
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,692
Well, I just got confirmation that we're going racing with a G650XChallenge next weekend. We are making some last minute upgrades, but for the most part the bike will be competed in a 24hour enduro as an Iron Man entry in stock form in regards to engine and suspension. We're going to add some crash protection and remove any unnecessary wieght including the stock exhaust system. Maxmoto is co-sponsoring so of course we will be running one of their full Remus systems on the bike. We're really excited and this was a last minute deal so we're full speed ahead. Will let y'all know how bike prep goes over the next week and then hopefully have some great shots of the BMW going the distance and catching air next weekend. It will be the only 650 to my knowledge amongst many 400, 450's and various two strokes.

Wish us luck & Stay tuned!!!!!!
Old 05-24-2007, 06:15 PM   #840
Trailace
Dumb Ass

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Well, I just got confirmation that we're going racing with a G650XChallenge next weekend. We are making some last minute upgrades, but for the most part the bike will be competed in a 24hour enduro as an Iron Man entry in stock form in regards to engine and suspension. We're going to add some crash protection and remove any unnecessary wieght including the stock exhaust system. Maxmoto is co-sponsoring so of course we will be running one of their full Remus systems on the bike. We're really excited and this was a last minute deal so we're full speed ahead. Will let y'all know how bike prep goes over the next week and then hopefully have some great shots of the BMW going the distance and catching air next weekend. It will be the only 650 to my knowledge amongst many 400, 450's and various two strokes.

Wish us luck & Stay tuned!!!!!!
What kind of crash protection do you plan on adding?
2007 G650X Challenge
2002 R1150GS ADV
Iron Butt # 7362
Trailace is offline   Reply With Quote