Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #16
elmoreman
takin' a break, boss

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi
I made a few mods to my G/S as well .... Pics under the link "Bike" at www.nohorizons.net

In Nepal at the moment ... Everyhting seems to hold up well.

K

Cool...Ive checked out your site before. Your frame reinforcements look minimal. Have you noticed any difference?

Also, have you ever really needed that much gas??

Glad to hear your trip is going well...would you do it again on the same bike?
elmoreman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:50 AM   #17
jtwind
Wisconsin Airhead

Oddometer: 3,472
I got interested in this when I'd sent an engineering friend of some photos of a g/s frame that had been reinforced and he'd chuckle and say they should read Tony's book etc. usually because what they'd done made things no better and probably worse. If I were going to do this I'd have a someone who I had absolutely no doubt understood this sort of chassis design and fabrication. At worst I'd mimic what HPN has done. There are some good photos around.

http://www.possi.de/hpn/hpnmatz.html

and some great close ups of a HPN frame here.

http://www.pbase.com/d_paulus/the_first_purchase

JT
jtwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #18
Rubber Cow
GS Dork

Oddometer: 5,336
Most of the modifications in this thread are old-hat and well-proven on the airhead frames. Unfortunately they all conspire to deliver a lot of stress to the main top tube which will eventually get overstressed and bend or crack. That said, I've seen at least twenty g/s & GSs with these mods and only one of them had a broken top tube.
It does make the rubber cow less rubbery.
cheers,
Jorge

Not one of you bastards welded a bottle opener to the frame....WTF?!

"Woof, woof woof woof ...woof woof!!!!!!!!!"
Cricket the Dog-RIP
Rubber Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #19
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Frame Mods And Things

Hi Moman, I have studied the alternatives to the charging system. Due to the cost of getting one of the Motoelekt or Omega Systems in New Zealand, (double US price to get NZ$ ) I have sent mine to Australia. A guy over there has been doing good work on charging systems for years. I am waiting to hear back from him. He thought about $200NZ to rewind the stator for more output It was only when I dual plugged mine that i noticed the shortfallin the charging area. The extra 2.5amps of the second ignition module put me over the top when I had everything switched on.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #20
Malindi
Zen Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoreman
Cool...Ive checked out your site before. Your frame reinforcements look minimal. Have you noticed any difference?

Also, have you ever really needed that much gas??

Glad to hear your trip is going well...would you do it again on the same bike?
Yes, I needed 800 kilometers of gas to get through the Baluchistan desert, from Iran (Taftan) to Quetta (Pakistan). As it turned out, there was gas (by the side of the road, in bottles, smuggled from Iran) available. So strictly I didn't need it, but still. And when you get stuck, at least you have gas to cook on (I have an MSR Whisperlite stove). It's not that you NEED it, but it's nice to stop for the night, carry on the next day and then find gas when it's convenient.

I would certainly do it again on this bike. Nothing I can think of in terms of changes. I'm very happy with the mods. However, I am getting new bags made when I get home. The Touratech ones are junk. Also, Fiamm horn mounting tabs seem to not survive the off-road beating. I've had two breaks there. The gaiters, which I didn't change before departure, could not stand the abuse and both are split. I would get rubber gaiters next time. I've ordered a set from the UK. Above 12,000 feet, the battery, Odyssey, charged less quickly then at lower altitude. I'm running an Enduralast system from Euromoto Electrics, which is great. I won't take a spare tire across the Middle East next time. The Metzler Enduro 2 on the rear is holding up fine and I could have changed it in Delhi and in some places in Pakistan even. The front, Michelin Sirac, will probably make it another 7,000 miles. I put it on in Turkey. The rear shock is getting used and I am very happy I spent the cash on new rims at Woody's. The wheels have gotten an incredible beating. I'm currently planning a 40 day hike and frankly have zero desire to ride a single mile more after roughly 25,000 kilometers.... I might do Thailand and Cambodia and then come home. There's only so much riding you can do before you lose your sanity. :-)
Old 10-14-2006, 06:51 PM   #21
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malindi
Yes, I needed 800 kilometers of gas to get through the Baluchistan desert, from Iran (Taftan) to Quetta (Pakistan). As it turned out, there was gas (by the side of the road, in bottles, smuggled from Iran) available. So strictly I didn't need it, but still. And when you get stuck, at least you have gas to cook on (I have an MSR Whisperlite stove). It's not that you NEED it, but it's nice to stop for the night, carry on the next day and then find gas when it's convenient.

I would certainly do it again on this bike. Nothing I can think of in terms of changes. I'm very happy with the mods. However, I am getting new bags made when I get home. The Touratech ones are junk. Also, Fiamm horn mounting tabs seem to not survive the off-road beating. I've had two breaks there. The gaiters, which I didn't change before departure, could not stand the abuse and both are split. I would get rubber gaiters next time. I've ordered a set from the UK. Above 12,000 feet, the battery, Odyssey, charged less quickly then at lower altitude. I'm running an Enduralast system from Euromoto Electrics, which is great. I won't take a spare tire across the Middle East next time. The Metzler Enduro 2 on the rear is holding up fine and I could have changed it in Delhi and in some places in Pakistan even. The front, Michelin Sirac, will probably make it another 7,000 miles. I put it on in Turkey. The rear shock is getting used and I am very happy I spent the cash on new rims at Woody's. The wheels have gotten an incredible beating. I'm currently planning a 40 day hike and frankly have zero desire to ride a single mile more after roughly 25,000 kilometers.... I might do Thailand and Cambodia and then come home. There's only so much riding you can do before you lose your sanity. :-)
Holy sheet! Is that you Kevin?!?
I can't BELIEVE you're pulling this off.
BruCee ain't gonna blieve this either.

Be careful, blow your mind and keep posting spectacular pictures!

Good on you, YFF! I'm totally green with envy!

best,
Lornce
Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 PM   #22
ROSKO
The Dirty Knacker

Oddometer: 420
glad I found this thread...

Good subject, purdy welds and all that. Sorry to dredge up an old thread! As a TIG welder, bicycle frame builder and newly annointed G/S owner these subjects have been milling around in my head. Basically the issue to consider is load transfer, you want to brace sections, bends, joints that fail or flex under load. The optimal situation for any welded metal frame is for the material to fail. Meaning the tube bends BEFORE the welds fail. You cannot ask for anything more. Many of the 'additions' I see to frames do NOT address the issues, gussets done wrong will make the situation worse. Some should be welded all the way around and others should not, just the nature of welding and the stresses the process leaves behind. Any area that has a tendeny to fail can usually be observed to be missing a triangulation. A rear sub-frame fails because the load is levered, the front/upper mounting area becomes stressed. Under load the thing wants to buckle like a hinge, any support there is purely material, not structure. The obvious solution is to run a brace from the lower mounting point to the rail under the passenger seating area (a la HPN). BUT, that may hinder other processes so you have to compromise. Quite a can of worms.

Anyway, I'll stop babbling. Here's some pics of a bomb-proof bicycle:

...should give a general idea, every joint is gusseted and triangulated to give maximum strength without excess weight. I have been pilfering ideas/ inspiration from the minimalist bracing done on Malindi's bike (they look great, good reports!), the Overland Solutions stuff, and of course the HPN frame mod catalog!! Which is free to download. I'm done ranting, my apologies!

ROSKO screwed with this post 01-19-2007 at 09:52 AM
ROSKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:42 AM   #23
Boojum
I Miss the PartyBoss

Oddometer: 5,934
Daaaaaamn, Those are "Trick" Nacker!!!!

Boojum!
Boojum is offline   Reply With Quote