Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
Lizrdbrth OP
Wackjob

Oddometer: 865
"Lizrdbrth: KLR Dietician" thread.

Howdy,

I've been planning to start this thread for awhile now, and if there's enough interest in it I'll continue to maintain it.

I've been weighing various components as I remove them to service the bike or to make modifications. Also weighing the "cost-to-benefit" ratio of mods whether or not they result in an increase/decrease in weight upon completion.

E.G.:

Stock Kawasaki KLR handlebars: 34 ounces

ProTaper ATV HI bars: 37.2 ounces

ProTaper ATV HI bars (less crash pad): 33.2 ounces

Total weight savings: .8 ounces

Conclusion: If you're changing to the ProTapers solely to save weight, don't bother. In my case the decrease in vibes to my hands was a nice side benefit, but I had to spend 60 bucks to verify the rumor.

Another example:

Stock KLR front axle: 12.0 ounces

Hollow KLR 600 axle 10.2 ounces

Total weight savings: 1.2 ounces

Conclusion: In this case not really worth doing unless you're really anal.

But when wemove to the rear it's a slightly different story:

Stock KLR rear axle: 20.1 ounces

Hollow KLR 600 rear axle: 15.6 ounces

Total weight savings: 4.5 ounces

Conclusion: if you stumble onto a KLR 600 parts bike for cheap, a quarter pound is significant. Combined with the hollow front, more significant. I got mine for free. And I'm anal. And I have no life.

I've discovered huge weight variations between various stock and aftermarket components from footpegs to fenders. There are over 2 pounds of turn signals on a KLR 650. There are barely 4 ounces of turn signals on a DR 650 if you shorten the stems, my Acerbis KTM-style replacement fender is 4 ounces lighter than my cracked stocker.....etc.

A Supertrapp weighs only 6 pounds vs. 12-14 pounds for a stocker (Yes, they vary by that much. go figger). Mine cost 200 bucks, saved a bunch of weight (for about 2 months) was obnoxiously loud, needed constant repacking, then promptly stress-cracked and disintegrated. No deal. I'll wait and buy a quality replacement should one ever be offered at a reasonable cost.

The purpose of this thread is not to flame anyone's mod or to slam anyone's products, but rather to be sort of a "Mythbusters" of modifications, with weight being the final factor (because weight is my final factor, and I got all these really cool scales, and a lot of time on my hands, and
an extra KLR to take apart, but mostly cuz it's MY thread). If no one participates, I'll just stare at it and marvel at my lack of eloquence. Or tell dirty jokes...sing "99 bottles of beer"...
Lizrdbrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
so in other words... don't go chasing a KLR diet..
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Lizrdbrth OP
Wackjob

20 pounds worth chasing?

You decide.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
for me, it's not worth it.. I can lose that much weight just by not filling up my IMS tank all the way!
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Numbnuts_007
inseam impaired

Oddometer: 64
i work overseas and cannot drink beer for 28 days. so no matter how much weight i take off the bike by the time i have to return to work "I" have added on the weight that i would have taken off the bike lol.

resistance is futile,
you will be assimilated!!

Chris

98' honda helix 250
06 kawi bayou 250 atv
07 KLR651
91 jeep commanchee eliminator 4x4 (son's)
gone:
92 katana 600
78 XS 750, 3 banger
80' elsinor 125 (last air cooled model)
too many small XR's to count,
Numbnuts_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:07 PM   #6
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
That's weird about the bars. My KDX200 bars were super heavy stock and pro-tapers were less than half the weight I'd guess (didn't weigh them, but the difference was huge). Are stock KLR bars aluminum? Or are you using some pro-taper other than the traditional 1 1/8" tapered aluminum unit?

have fun

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Lizrdbrth OP
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
for me, it's not worth it.. I can lose that much weight just by not filling up my IMS tank all the way!
I'm cool wit dat. Just thought it might be nice to quantify some of the more common modifications.

For example, most folks automatically de-Californicate. I haven't. My reasoning for this is that I like to drag my bike into Mexican hotel rooms for securtiy's sake, and can't afford the brain cells that an open system might cost me overnight.

So I had to find that 20 pounds elsewhere. As a result of that I've learned a few things that may save some others a few bucks, as in the handlebar example. I think most folks assume that an aluminum bar will automatically weigh less than a steel one. The ProTapers don't. They're exactly the same bend as the stockers, so if you're a starving college student whose bars don't vibrate, focus on something else.

If I were to tell you how to lose a pound or two by rearranging a few things the next time you have the tank off of the bike for a valve adjustment, and that you could even reach the carb from either side of the bike when you were finished, would you be interested?

There is a lot of unneccesary weight on any production bike. There are a boatload of members here who stare at identical bikes daily. Combine the observations of each and we can all benefit.

Did you ditch something after staring at it long enough to say "That's in my way. It serves no purpose. What was the factory thinking?" Or "Brand "X" accomplishes the same thing with less weight and complexity. I'll look for the brand "X" part the next time I'm at the salvage yard."

This thread is fer dat.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Lizrdbrth OP
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
That's weird about the bars. My KDX200 bars were super heavy stock and pro-tapers were less than half the weight I'd guess (didn't weigh them, but the difference was huge). Are stock KLR bars aluminum? Or are you using some pro-taper other than the traditional 1 1/8" tapered aluminum unit?

have fun
ProTaper 7/8's series, in this case. The 1 1/8 series are even heavier.

I don't mean to impune your guess on the weight of the stock bars, but I happen to have a pair of the ProTaper KX bend bars to weigh. They're only an ounce lighter than the ATV HI bar on my KLR, even though they are a much lower bend and are over an inch shorter.

ProTapers just "feel" better than the stockers to me. That's worth something. I think they're an excellent product. But I was surprised to find that in reality they are no lighter than stock.
Old 10-10-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
caffeine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
were not drag racing KLRs so a few lbs isnt making a difference...hell, if i cna take a shit before every time i ride and equivilate that to not changing out my axles, taking a shit is easier and more enjoyable haha.

if we were drag racing, we wouldnt be on a KLR and we would certainly be counting .5 ounces of each speed hole we cut in the frame (and taking a shit before the race)
caffeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #10
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizrdbrth
ProTaper 7/8's series, in this case. The 1 1/8 series are even heavier.

I don't mean to impune your guess on the weight of the stock bars, but I happen to have a pair of the ProTaper KX bend bars to weigh. They're only an ounce lighter than the ATV HI bar on my KLR, even though they are a much lower bend and are over an inch shorter.

ProTapers just "feel" better than the stockers to me. That's worth something. I think they're an excellent product. But I was surprised to find that in reality they are no lighter than stock.
Interesting. I guess stock KDX200 bars are a lot heavier than stock KLR bars. I was under the impression that the 1 1/8" pro tapers were lighter than the 7/8" ones (thinner wall section and no cross bar), but I could be wrong on that. Whatever the case, I love pro-tapers for the fact they don't bend easily (I tend to crash a lot), I've never been able to keep a pair of 7/8" bars straight for more than one or two rides, yet I've never bent a pair of oversized pro-tapers enough to notice.

Oh, and I usually run Pro-taper woods low (exact same bar as pro-taper mini-low) in oversize (and not the new budget "contour" or whatever it is).

have fun, I'm all for weight reduction, makes a huge difference in how a bike handles.

Although I think my current off road mount is heavier than stock - that happens when ya dual sport a motocross bike though (still under 220 lbs I suspect).

I bet a Baja Designs LED tail/brake light would save some weight. You could also take off all the stuff ya don't need (foot pegs, side stand, whatever else you can stand to loose).

As you mentioned, exhaust is usually a great weight saver on a street legal bike, but you gotta watch the noise etc.

Only put in as much fuel as you need.

Plastic tank would probably save some weight.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703

BikePilot screwed with this post 10-10-2006 at 02:12 PM
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:11 PM   #11
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
I don't own a KLR (anymore), but I think that this thread was a good idea.

Now that I've given my approval, you can all sleep better.
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
Lizrdbrth OP
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoco
I don't own a KLR (anymore), but I think that this thread was a good idea.

Now that I've given my approval, you can all sleep better.
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............
Old 10-10-2006, 02:38 PM   #13
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,111
If you think 20lbs doesn't make a difference you've never had to haul your bike out of a gooy mud hole or pick up your bike the long way on a side hill.

I ride a 250lb bike in the woods and mountians, I'd much prefer a 240 lb bike.

A 1/4 pound of unsprung weight for no effort if you do it with a tire change, and probably less than $10...that VERY worthwhile IMHO.

I wish someone was doing this for my Dakar...if ever a bike needed to lose weight...

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #14
Lizrdbrth OP
Wackjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot

have fun
Here's something that the scales have taught me so far.

Take 2 items of identical weight. To make things simple, let's say that the items are tubular. One is 1'2" in diameter, one is 1" in diameter. We humans will at first perceive the larger diameter to be heavier, based on a visual.

After handling the item physically, we will conclude that the larger item is the lighter of the two. If the items are fairly heavy, we perceive the larger bar to be lighter because it "hurts" less to lift it due to it's greater surface area.

Add to that our everyday experience which tells us initially that the movie prop styrofoam boulder is really made of stone, and is therefore gonna squish us. If we recognize an item to be made of Unobtainium we will mentally give it the benefit of the doubt because we know that Unobtainium is way cool.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #15
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
if you do the klr250 fairing conversion, or if you have the parts to weigh, let us know how much weight that saves. i'd guess close to 1 lb.