User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
pjheckel OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Aftermarket seats for a DR 650?

So I ordered a fabric sample from corbin and they sent me a bunch of fabrics that looked like they came out of a 1970's cadillac, and only one of the 6 fabrics that I requested. they also didnt answere the phone today when I tried to re order a fabric sample.

I'm beginning to think they are not as trustworty as they should be for selling $300 seat motorcycle seats. or they at least need some better customer service.

does anybody know of another aftermarket seat for the dr 650? hopefully a cheaper one that comes from a company that can take orders correctly!

thanks for the info.
pjheckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,420
I've heard horror stories about Corbin before, but I've bought 2 seats in the last 2 years from them and have had great service. On both seats they quoted my 3 weeks and I got them in about 10 days.

I got my DR seat in "gripper" material top, and carbon fiber vinyl sides and I love it. I like having the grippy top to keep from sliding forward all the time.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Giggity

Oddometer: 732
Rokklym,
What tank is that?
Giggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
MaineWolf
riding addiction

Oddometer: 19
Home grown fix...$3.00

Not sure if you might be interested in the home grown approach but for $3 I fixed my seat problem. Every bike I own I usually end up custom fitting the seat to my butt so this was no problem. I pulled the staples from the bottom for about 2/3 of the way. I stopped short of the front upturn. I experimented with 1 inch high density chair foam. I cut it to the same shape except wider so the sides of the foam would wrap down the sides of the factory foam. Stapled it back down and added a 1" webbing strip on the outside where the added foam begins and the upturn part ends (just for cosmetics). Rode it for a week and found it was ok but still not acceptable for more then 20 miles. I repeated the process again but used 2" foam. Pulling the original seat fabric was tough but I got it back on. Made all the difference in the world and I like the added tallness. Not sure if you can see it too well in the attached pic.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
trailuser
take the backroads

Oddometer: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggity
Rokklym,
What tank is that?

the black IMS
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
Brooklyn Rob
Do'h!

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineWolf
Not sure if you might be interested in the home grown approach but for $3 I fixed my seat problem. Every bike I own I usually end up custom fitting the seat to my butt so this was no problem. I pulled the staples from the bottom for about 2/3 of the way. I stopped short of the front upturn. I experimented with 1 inch high density chair foam. I cut it to the same shape except wider so the sides of the foam would wrap down the sides of the factory foam. Stapled it back down and added a 1" webbing strip on the outside where the added foam begins and the upturn part ends (just for cosmetics). Rode it for a week and found it was ok but still not acceptable for more then 20 miles. I repeated the process again but used 2" foam. Pulling the original seat fabric was tough but I got it back on. Made all the difference in the world and I like the added tallness. Not sure if you can see it too well in the attached pic.

Yeah, I tried something similar. The stocker is narrow and flat. Just the opposite of the human ass. Suzuki clearly put a lot of thought into it (not). I added foam too, but I doubt that even a couch full of foam could compensate for the terrible shape.
Brooklyn Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner
the black IMS

Yep, IMS 4.9 gallon.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
thegraydog
2 wheels X 6 ways

Oddometer: 582
But the question is the seat: the Corbin is good for big ol' boys.... My butt didn't hurt but it isn't wide enough. The shoulders of the corbin made my knees stick out, so my legs got sore fighting the wind.

So I went back to the stock, vowing I would get used to it. After a 5500 mile trip I still wasn't -- no worse, but no better.

Am now playing with replacing foam. Haven't ridden the latest experiment.

It's a dirt bike -- ride standing up. It's a motorcycle -- it's supposed to be uncomfortable.

Corbin available cheep....
thegraydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
Tramontana

Oddometer: 2,052
Corbin seat...

PM sent.

Memberships: AMA 222838, COHVCO #4409, Blue Ribbon Coalition, Rollins Pass Restoration Association, Tread Lightly!

KD0DHK - Amateur Radio FCC Technician Class

Tread Lightly! Master Tread Trainer.
Tramontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #10
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjheckel

I'm beginning to think they are not as trustworty as they should be for selling $300 seat motorcycle seats. or they at least need some better customer service.

thanks for the info.
In Corbinworld you'd be considered a satisfied customer. Talk to the people that lost 10 million on the Corbin Sparrow 3 wheel car.

Try the DIY approach, it shouldn't take much time and you can always go to the aftermarket if it doesn't work.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:57 AM   #11
marcwestbmw
Walkin' Mans Friend

Oddometer: 491
Try Sargeant Seats. They did my seat. I drew them a sketch showing them how I wanted it, narrow upfront, wider to the rear. Now I can ride standing up no problem. Or, when my butt gets sore I slide back to the wide cushy spot. It works very well for me.

Turn around time was about two weeks. Cost was $240.00 with a winter discount.http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...gAnch=imgAnch1