User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
Don Gavino OP
Michigan Catracho

Oddometer: 172
Best dl650 vstrom handguards?

What handguards fit best on V Strom dl650?

I had the local Suzuki dealer order a set for me. I looked at them, what a crock. No hardwear, no instructions, no metal bar, and no wrap around to the bar ends. The guy told me they were stock then I pointed out the difference on the dl 1000 on the floor. Then he told they are replacements for the stock, so I pointed out the different shape. Steven's Sports sucks.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
melvin2345
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Completely off topic...

What color is your bike? I have a Blue dl650K7. I haven't seen any other vstroms anywhere near Midland yet though. Cool to see there is at least one other wee in town.
melvin2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
DarinB
Fish Hunter Esq.

Oddometer: 355
The set I got for my DL650 are really quite nice. I imagine they are the same ones that come on the DL1000. They wrap around and have all the neccessary hardware to mount them. The dealer didn't order you the correct ones.
DarinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #4
Don Gavino OP
Michigan Catracho

I think i've seen you..

I have a red '06. I ride to work every day. Patrick to Eastman road and back again. I just installed heated grips and now need hand guards. It was a tad bit chilly yesterday.

Do you work across from the Center for the Arts? I've seen a blue Strom there a couple of times.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
Don Gavino OP
Michigan Catracho

I now see that the kit from Suzuki is what I need and includes all hardwear.
Our local dealer sucks so bad.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:06 PM   #6
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,736
Yeah, I have the stock suzuki ones on my dl650 and they are quite robost. I tested them in a 90+ mph lowslide on the track and other then the long bolt getting bent and some new character to the back of the handguard, they are still in one piece. Best part of all, it saved my levers.

I took the bolt out and straightened it best I could and re-installed it. Everything hooked back together fine.

You can see the damage in this picture.

Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #7
vegasphotog
Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer: 3,255
This topic has already gone around in depth..but, to pipe in....I got the Acerbis....I like them but the do not fit well with the standard handbars. The brake reservoir messes up things.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
BBurton
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Thumbs down

Quote:
Yeah, I have the stock suzuki ones on my dl650 and they are quite robost. I tested them in a 90+ mph lowslide on the track and other then the long bolt getting bent and some new character to the back of the handguard, they are still in one piece. Best part of all, it saved my levers.

I took the bolt out and straightened it best I could and re-installed it. Everything hooked back together fine.

Robust?????? My 1000 had a VERY slow fall to the garage floor recently. I almost kept it from falling all the way down, but was not successful! I broke my "robust" handguard at the bolt mounting point, and snapped the end off my clutch lever. Turnsignal was fine, I have the flushmounts. I will be purchasing the Acerbis dual sport guards next....I know they will hold up. They look pretty bad ass on a Strom too!

It is easier to stay out than get out.
Mark Twain
BBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 01:36 PM   #9
BBurton
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akphotog
This topic has already gone around in depth..but, to pipe in....I got the Acerbis....I like them but the do not fit well with the standard handbars. The brake reservoir messes up things.
I haven't heard of this issue? I know that you have a tight fit, and may have to move/relocate things a bit...but mounts without any real issue. Amotostuff lists that on their website, but says that no modifications are necessary. You got any pics????

Mark Twain
Old 10-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurton
Robust?????? My 1000 had a VERY slow fall to the garage floor recently. I almost kept it from falling all the way down, but was not successful! I broke my "robust" handguard at the bolt mounting point, and snapped the end off my clutch lever. Turnsignal was fine, I have the flushmounts. I will be purchasing the Acerbis dual sport guards next....I know they will hold up. They look pretty bad ass on a Strom too!
I guess I got lucky with the fall then. I honestly wasn't expecting them to hold up. Maybe my body was the cushion and I didn't realize it. Truthfully, I was more worried about getting run over by the novice riders I had just been leading around and they were following my bright green vest!

Regardless, this was the first time in 14 years I ever let a bike hit the ground (other then true dirtbikes). Surprisingly, my strom faired very well. I just had to relpace the footpeg, the blinker, re-adjust that bar end and I was ready to go.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:11 PM   #11
tedder
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurton
I haven't heard of this issue? I know that you have a tight fit, and may have to move/relocate things a bit...but mounts without any real issue. Amotostuff lists that on their website, but says that no modifications are necessary. You got any pics????
stock ones are decent for wind protection, not hand/bar/lever protection.
stockers: http://perljam.net/motorcycle/dl650/handguards/

Acerbis: http://perljam.net/motorcycle/dl650/...dguard-detail/

-ted
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:23 PM   #12
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedder
stock ones are decent for wind protection, not hand/bar/lever protection.
stockers: http://perljam.net/motorcycle/dl650/handguards/

Acerbis: http://perljam.net/motorcycle/dl650/...dguard-detail/

-ted
Yep...what he said.......don'tblame the dealer,,,he told you exactly right,,,the kit comes with everything necessary for the stock 650.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #13
forester
woodswise w/gear

Oddometer: 111
Just a couple things... First, I live in Osceola County, MI, which is two counties from where you two Midland guys live.

Second, I have Acerbis touring guards, and like the other guy above, I had a difficult time with the brake's master cylinder. I had to cut part of one of the mounts away in order to get it to fit. Despite that, they sure seem tough enough to me. They look very cool. They also did not come with instructions, and the guards were a bitch to get screwed into the brackets. Personally though, I would recommened them whole heartedly. Worth the frusturation of the install. I can't imagine they would break during a drop...

If you wanna ride sometime, get a hold of me via the website. I can show you guys around a bit.
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
BBurton
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
If you wanna ride sometime, get a hold of me via the website. I can show you guys around a bit
I know that I can't hang around or be seen with ya....you are from a certain state, which name I shall not mention!!!

Your handguards look good by the way.

Mark Twain
Old 10-13-2006, 06:01 PM   #15
okieinu
Brains Oozing Out My Ears

Oddometer: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Best part of all, it saved my levers.

did you notice the damage to rest of the bike you praise the levers?
I wish I thought that positively when my bikes have hit the ground.

glad nobody was hurt...or were they?

(BTW, I have an extra front left panel if you want to take it off my hands cheap. It's got a homemade paint patch covering where I sanded out some scuffs after the bike hit the pavement. The Vstrom sticker is gone but the "S" remains (this is an '04 model). Will have to supply your own clips/mounting hardware.)