User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Which Airhead boxer is the best?

I have a friend that owns a 2006 Gear up and He's interested in putting in a BMW Airhead engine. Which Airhead motor would be best for that type of swap? I was thinking an R80 g/s motor with R100 pistons and jugs with the stock R80 heads for more low end for crawling and getting that beast moving. Any ideas? He's a very skilled fabricator, so He can manage the project if He can get the right info.

Thanks,
Aaron

crankshaft screwed with this post 10-15-2006 at 11:28 AM
crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
ctp13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
AH.. I'm not sure you can put R80 Heads on a 1000 barrel But maybe ? .

But GS heads should have smaller valves and the 32mm intake for tork . makes sense why have a bunch of top end HP if you cant go that fast.

I think there is a site Depneworld or somthing that has people who know about the conversion in's and outs.

I found them by dooing a Google for "two wheel drive sidecars" took some looking but they are out there.

Chuck
ctp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Hannibal-8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Wow, sounds a bit early for a swap. I think his Ural is the "new" 750 but it is still only 40hp. A 60hp 1000 would certainly change things. Would this be an engine only or would he go for a engine/transmission transplant? What about his reverse gear and 2 wheel drive capability? I'm interested in getting into sidecars and would be interested in the shortcomings he is experiencing with the current powerplant. Thanks, Rich p.s. If its a power shortfall (and not a reliability/spares issue) can the stock Ural be pushed up a bit?. Rich
Hannibal-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
friar mike
IronButtGruver

Oddometer: 4,909
here's one I saw in Dawson city Yukon this summer the guy ride's it daily with his dog it has a bmw engine and its 2WD but it is a older Dnepr.
Good-Bad-Iam the guy with the gun "evil dead"
God's speed Rommel run free my dog
friar mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal-8
Wow, sounds a bit early for a swap. I think his Ural is the "new" 750 but it is still only 40hp. A 60hp 1000 would certainly change things. Would this be an engine only or would he go for a engine/transmission transplant? What about his reverse gear and 2 wheel drive capability? I'm interested in getting into sidecars and would be interested in the shortcomings he is experiencing with the current powerplant. Thanks, Rich p.s. If its a power shortfall (and not a reliability/spares issue) can the stock Ural be pushed up a bit?. Rich
Well, climbing hills loaded is a bit tough when He's carrying all his gear. Heck, Scotts 6-3 and all of 260#, so an extra 20 hp would be great.
He really wants to keep the two wheel drive and reverse.... actually He won't go without it, so its just the engine swap.

I'm amazed every single time we take the thing trail riding. It just tractors through all kinds of muck,rocks and general shit that no many off road vehicles can't touch, but a few more horses will really help.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:48 AM   #6
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,497
You're grinning pretty big in that picture, Aaron.

Howse things , man?
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Jimbosidecar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
BMW/Ural

Yes, there are a number of BMW powered Urals out there. I saw one on E-Bay a week or so ago. Send me an e-mail and I'll give you a list of people who do these conversions. I myself do the Chang Jiang/BMW conversions.
Regds,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
I have a friend that owns a 2006 Gear up and He's interested in putting in a BMW Airhead engine. Which Airhead motor would be best for that type of swap? I was thinking an R80 g/s motor with R100 pistons and jugs with the stock R80 heads for more low end for crawling and getting that beast moving. Any ideas? He's a very skilled fabricator, so He can manage the project if He can get the right info.

Thanks,
Aaron
Jimbosidecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:12 AM   #8
Gummiente
Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
I have a friend that owns a 2006 Gear up and He's interested in putting in a BMW Airhead engine.
Can he not wait until the warranty has expired first?
CURD Head Cheese

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing the blues, it takes a moment to learn and a lifetime to master"
Gummiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:39 AM   #9
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummiente
Can he not wait until the warranty has expired first?
Uh Uh. Correct response is, 'Tell him I'll give him a hunnert bucks for the Ural motor, so he doesn't have to sell it for scrap'.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:14 AM   #10
out rider
Nearing the end

Oddometer: 596
More info can be had at the Ural board web site:
http://imzwa.secureforum.com/

I may be interested in that 750 engine, let me know.
out rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 05:50 AM   #11
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,195
Use a /2 friction plate and a later spring and pressure plate.*This is based on what worked with the earlier transmissions. I haven't had a newer one off-check the input shaft splines! You will need to shim the pressure plate out to get correct lever pull and you will need to make a throw out rod.

The holes in the ears of the transmission housing almost line up. the tabs that center the transmission to the bell housing do not. You will need to do a little fabrication there to make things fit.

Fitting an airbox can be a challenge.

You will be overpowering your transmision, reardrive and sc drive. Bearing failures are not unheard of, but you may get lucky. I blew up a few of the rubber donuts with my R100 powered Dnepr. Keep a spare drive donut with your kit.

You will be running the BMW near redline at freeway speeds. An external filter/cooler is not a bad idea. Old airhead mechanical advance ignitions suck. I'd look for an aftermarket electronic ignition that shitcans the bobweights( not all of them do- I had a Dyna that replaced the points but kept the bobweights- boy was I pissed when I found that out!). You will have a lot more weight so the crappy Ural shocks will be even crappier-think about upgrading the suspension.

Take pix and post em ;-)
Old 01-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #12
crankshaft OP
Guns are for pussies

Its funny how this thread just showed up again He blew the motor this summer, but I'm not sure whats he's doing now.

Hi Ace
Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #13
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,634
West Coast Guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbosidecar
Yes, there are a number of BMW powered Urals out there. I saw one on E-Bay a week or so ago. Send me an e-mail and I'll give you a list of people who do these conversions. I myself do the Chang Jiang/BMW conversions.
Regds,
Jim
Anyone in California or on the West Coast doing the Ural BMW swap?

I have a Artic Camo Gear Up on order. Still waiting for it to come in. Hope it is a much improved machine as rumored. Has the Two year warranty and then if all else fails, bring in the back up plans.

My plan "B" is a BMW motor transplant if the Ural motor is problematic.

Pan "C" put Ural chair on my 1150GS ADV if it all is a wash.
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
Jimbosidecar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Ural engine swap?

Not that I know of. There's a guy in PA and a guy in Maine.
Regds,
Jim

[quote=Hotmamaandme]Anyone in California or on the West Coast doing the Ural BMW swap?
Jimbosidecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #15
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,634
What can BROWN do for you?

[quote=Jimbosidecar]Not that I know of. There's a guy in PA and a guy in Maine.
Regds,
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme
Anyone in California or on the West Coast doing the Ural BMW swap?
So shipping your tranny to one of these guys for the machine work and doing the motor swap here is the option?
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote