User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
Madmardigan OP
Generally confused...

Oddometer: 128
Lolo Motorway/Lochsa River - October day trip

Greetings everyone. Fall is quickly approaching in western Montana. We've had snow in the mountains, today is cool and cloudy, snow is possible in the valley tomorrow night. It's almost time to get the battery tender out and add the fuel stabilizer to the GS. All of this means that the mild temperatures and sunny skies of yesterday were the perfect time to get out on what might be the final hoorah for the season.... (of course, we're expecting an El Nino year which typically means poor skiing, so perhaps some additional moto days are in order...)

I am lucky in that there are a million options right near Missoula for great dual sport day trips or longer looping rides. However, though I've done the Lochsa river (highway 12, 77 miles of curvey road - you know the sign) I've never ridden the Lolo Motorway. Sooo, that was the order of the day yesterday. As I mentioned, a sunny warm day was on order after a chilly morning. Some background first....

A nice little .pdf link for those of you interested in doing the route sometime.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/L...ving_lolom.pdf

The route runs above the Lochsa river and highway 12. Contained within the Clearwater National Forest, From Missoula, it's a run over Lolo Pass on higway 12, down to the Powell Ranger Station area (the site of the famous Lochsa Lodge), turn north on Parachute Hill road, catch forest road 500, and run it as long as you'd like. There are a couple opportunities to jump off the route and head back down to highway 12 if your time is limited (as it was for me), you get sick of the route, or just want some slab under your tires again.

Some orientation:

Zoomed on the area of interest....

After a slow morning of drinking coffee, gathering stuff for the ride, playing with the dogs, and hanging with the GF, it was time to go. The first full day ride since my late summer cross country trip (been busy with work and travel). It was nice to get on the bike again. The big boxer humming as it does, leaning into the corners near my house, feeling the wind on my face. Ah yes, life is good.....

Then into Missoula proper (I live about 3 miles out of town proper). Masses of people and vehicles. Ah yes, homecoming weekend for the mighty Griz of Montana (who beat NAU 24-21 BTW...) Another good reason to get out of town. Homecoming week in Missoula is a bit crazy.... No photos as I spent my time trying to avoid the half drunk cage pilots and getting the hell out of town....

Finally, I make it to Lolo, hook a right turn on to highway 12, and I meet this:

October in W. Montana might be the nicest month of the year. Lately we've had nice temperate days and while we don't have the stunning fall colors of the right coast or central hardwood forests, we do have.... Larch..... This heading west up Lolo Pass, with Lolo creek visible....

Everyone (almost) knows about the twisties on the west side of Lolo Pass. The east side has 'em too... Twist the throttle, lean it over, joy to follow...

Continuing on, you'll come to:

Where, if you're obsessed with your bike, as I am, you will take one of these...

Cross over Lolo Pass and you see this....

Can anyone ride this road without taking a shot of this??? Of course, this one has yellow larch, thus proving the season.... I also like the 3 signs. Speed limits, like recipes, are merely suggestions, no?

* beware, however, the highway patrol stationed at Powell is notorious for enforcing the speed limit on the Idaho side. I've never seen a cop on the Montana side *

So, I followed the road down to near Powell... Had too much fun on the curves to take a lot of photos. Turn on parachute hill road and head to the motorway.... Various scenic photo opportunities ensue.....

More bike obsession....

scenery from the motorway....

The motorway is forest road 500... Lots of camping opportunities along the route...

The route has plenty of signage... Pretty easy to find your way....

Looking back along the motorway.....

You'll travel through a couple of burned areas.....

Wanna see what the road looks like??? Worth mentioning, the first part of the road (coming up parachute hill road) was way fun. Lot's of whoop-de-do's. Give it a little gas, stomach drops, smiles widen.....

Scenics...

again....

The road keeps going up....

I like my bike.... You got a problem with that????

You like your roads twisty AND dirt??? OK, here ya go....

Still going up....

Trees? OK......

How steep is it?

Want some Lewis and Clark history? Plenty of that.....

The path less travelled as the road narrows....

Fire and water.....

more road.....

I did pass a couple of vehicles coming the other way..... Though I was riding solo, I was happy to know there were others around in case something went wrong....

A culturally significant location to the native people of the area....

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to ride the full length of the motorway. It was getting late and I didn't want to take any chances with the deer on road home.... So I bailed off early. However, the road continues quite a bit further... Here it goes.... Back up....

Back down the hill to highway 12....

Trail access off of highway 12. That's the Lochsa river, a famous whitewater river in the area. Might not look like it now....

A stop at the Lochsa Lodge for a little food... I wasn't the only one thinking it was a nice day to ride.

Back over the hill and headed home...

Fun dirt and awesome twisty slab in one day?

This area is known for hotsprings. Lots of them around. Lolo hotsprings is a developed area. On the other side of the hill you can visit Weir, Jerry Johnson, or numerous other springs to soak those weary bones after a day of riding....

Not to mention some interesting geology in the area. Back when I used to climb, I spent a good bit of time in this area....

More fall colors....

The shadows are getting longer.... Time to get home...

Overall, an awesome day. Ended up doing about 200 miles. Days like this I realize I'm pretty lucky to live where I live. Unfortunately I wasn't able to ride the whole route due to time, but I will be back this spring.

I haven't seen much in the GPS forum about tracks for the motorway so I'll post my track log for those interested in finding their way onto the road (not that it's terribly difficult).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173873

Hope everyone is enjoying their fall riding. It's looking like this was the swan song for our area. Come on spring.....

A witty saying proves nothing
-- Voltaire

Madmardigan screwed with this post 10-15-2006 at 10:55 AM
Madmardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,563
Thanks for the pics, ride report and memories!! I did that loop a couple of years ago... it was also fabulous!

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Thumb

Niiiiiiicccccce!

scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Well done Mr Mardigan! You are one up on me as I didn't get to the Motorway this year as planned. Beautiful photos. Great report.
Thanks for sharing..

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
emmettken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,903
Aaaaaaah Lolo Pass,I love that road. Great pics!!
emmettken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,221
You have me happy and depressed at the same time! We did the whole Motorway and poped out at Kamiah for the night and then some (see here)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...+idaho+trailie

this late August and Sept. Stunning. Your photos bring back the memories and bring me back there again. Hey, it's not so bad being from NJ though. I look at it like this, folks from Florida never stay a week in Disney because they live there right ? Same for you FF's from Montana and Idaho ! Day trips ! We came out there from NJ and stayed 2 weeks!
Nice pictures and report.................yea of course I wish I lived there, who am I kidding !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
Madmardigan OP
Generally confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
You have me happy and depressed at the same time! We did the whole Motorway and poped out at Kamiah for the night and then some (see here)

this late August and Sept. Stunning. Your photos bring back the memories and bring me back there again. Hey, it's not so bad being from NJ though. I look at it like this, folks from Florida never stay a week in Disney because they live there right ? Same for you FF's from Montana and Idaho ! Day trips ! We came out there from NJ and stayed 2 weeks!
Nice pictures and report.................yea of course I wish I lived there, who am I kidding !
DP, I just read your report. I missed it earlier as I was on a backroad trip to Michigan and back. Looks like you guys had a great time and covered some spectacular country.

I hear ya about the disney thing. It's cool having things in your own backyard, but right now I'm dreaming of a trip to the Maritime provinces and Baja. I'm sure the folks who live near those areas are dreaming of trips in Montana and Idaho.... Go figure. Human nature I suppose....

Jersey can't be that bad... I'm intruiged by that Pine Barrens report I read this morning... Lots of nice places, just gotta search 'em out I suppose... Thanks for checking out the report and I'm glad it brought back some memories. Reading your report made me hungry... You sure ate well....

-- Voltaire
Old 10-16-2006, 03:20 AM   #8
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407
Man! Thanks for the pics. First found and did Lolo Highway 12 on my trip to Glacier and then back down to the Taos area for a BMW rally in '97. Had more or less followed the Lewis/Clark trail to that area. Then finished it to the West Coast in the Summer of '04. Just love that area. Amazed that the Lewis/Clark expedition was even able to get thru that country with no roads, etc.
Understand what you mean by people from the mountains going to the beaches and vice versa. I spend over half my life in the gulf of mexico on gas/oil platforms so I'm for sure not headed for a beach on my trips. ;-).... But it's a long way from SW Louisiana to Lolo Pass. Sigh!

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 03:32 AM   #9
ROD CURRIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmardigan
Greetings everyone. Fall is quickly approaching in western Montana. We've had snow in the mountains, today is cool and cloudy, snow is possible in the valley tomorrow night. It's almost time to get the battery tender out and add the fuel stabilizer to the GS. All of this means that the mild temperatures and sunny skies of yesterday were the perfect time to get out on what might be the final hoorah for the season.... (of course, we're expecting an El Nino year which typically means poor skiing, so perhaps some additional moto days are in order...)

I am lucky in that there are a million options right near Missoula for great dual sport day trips or longer looping rides. However, though I've done the Lochsa river (highway 12, 77 miles of curvey road - you know the sign) I've never ridden the Lolo Motorway. Sooo, that was the order of the day yesterday. As I mentioned, a sunny warm day was on order after a chilly morning. Some background first....

A nice little .pdf link for those of you interested in doing the route sometime.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/L...ving_lolom.pdf

The route runs above the Lochsa river and highway 12. Contained within the Clearwater National Forest, From Missoula, it's a run over Lolo Pass on higway 12, down to the Powell Ranger Station area (the site of the famous Lochsa Lodge), turn north on Parachute Hill road, catch forest road 500, and run it as long as you'd like. There are a couple opportunities to jump off the route and head back down to highway 12 if your time is limited (as it was for me), you get sick of the route, or just want some slab under your tires again.

Some orientation:

Zoomed on the area of interest....

After a slow morning of drinking coffee, gathering stuff for the ride, playing with the dogs, and hanging with the GF, it was time to go. The first full day ride since my late summer cross country trip (been busy with work and travel). It was nice to get on the bike again. The big boxer humming as it does, leaning into the corners near my house, feeling the wind on my face. Ah yes, life is good.....

Then into Missoula proper (I live about 3 miles out of town proper). Masses of people and vehicles. Ah yes, homecoming weekend for the mighty Griz of Montana (who beat NAU 24-21 BTW...) Another good reason to get out of town. Homecoming week in Missoula is a bit crazy.... No photos as I spent my time trying to avoid the half drunk cage pilots and getting the hell out of town....

Finally, I make it to Lolo, hook a right turn on to highway 12, and I meet this:

October in W. Montana might be the nicest month of the year. Lately we've had nice temperate days and while we don't have the stunning fall colors of the right coast or central hardwood forests, we do have.... Larch..... This heading west up Lolo Pass, with Lolo creek visible....

Everyone (almost) knows about the twisties on the west side of Lolo Pass. The east side has 'em too... Twist the throttle, lean it over, joy to follow...

Continuing on, you'll come to:

Where, if you're obsessed with your bike, as I am, you will take one of these...

Cross over Lolo Pass and you see this....

Can anyone ride this road without taking a shot of this??? Of course, this one has yellow larch, thus proving the season.... I also like the 3 signs. Speed limits, like recipes, are merely suggestions, no?

* beware, however, the highway patrol stationed at Powell is notorious for enforcing the speed limit on the Idaho side. I've never seen a cop on the Montana side *

So, I followed the road down to near Powell... Had too much fun on the curves to take a lot of photos. Turn on parachute hill road and head to the motorway.... Various scenic photo opportunities ensue.....

More bike obsession....

scenery from the motorway....

The motorway is forest road 500... Lots of camping opportunities along the route...

The route has plenty of signage... Pretty easy to find your way....

Looking back along the motorway.....

You'll travel through a couple of burned areas.....

Wanna see what the road looks like??? Worth mentioning, the first part of the road (coming up parachute hill road) was way fun. Lot's of whoop-de-do's. Give it a little gas, stomach drops, smiles widen.....

Scenics...

again....

The road keeps going up....

I like my bike.... You got a problem with that????

You like your roads twisty AND dirt??? OK, here ya go....

Still going up....

Trees? OK......

How steep is it?

Want some Lewis and Clark history? Plenty of that.....

The path less travelled as the road narrows....

Fire and water.....

more road.....

I did pass a couple of vehicles coming the other way..... Though I was riding solo, I was happy to know there were others around in case something went wrong....

A culturally significant location to the native people of the area....

Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to ride the full length of the motorway. It was getting late and I didn't want to take any chances with the deer on road home.... So I bailed off early. However, the road continues quite a bit further... Here it goes.... Back up....

Back down the hill to highway 12....

Trail access off of highway 12. That's the Lochsa river, a famous whitewater river in the area. Might not look like it now....

A stop at the Lochsa Lodge for a little food... I wasn't the only one thinking it was a nice day to ride.

Back over the hill and headed home...

Fun dirt and awesome twisty slab in one day?

This area is known for hotsprings. Lots of them around. Lolo hotsprings is a developed area. On the other side of the hill you can visit Weir, Jerry Johnson, or numerous other springs to soak those weary bones after a day of riding....

Not to mention some interesting geology in the area. Back when I used to climb, I spent a good bit of time in this area....

More fall colors....

The shadows are getting longer.... Time to get home...

Overall, an awesome day. Ended up doing about 200 miles. Days like this I realize I'm pretty lucky to live where I live. Unfortunately I wasn't able to ride the whole route due to time, but I will be back this spring.

I haven't seen much in the GPS forum about tracks for the motorway so I'll post my track log for those interested in finding their way onto the road (not that it's terribly difficult).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173873

Hope everyone is enjoying their fall riding. It's looking like this was the swan song for our area. Come on spring.....
Hi There. I've just done the TAT and am coming over to do the Continental Divide next year. This looks like a great loop to put in after the trip. Can it all be done on a GS? I have a 1200 here and may well bring that across ( from the UK) to do the CD.
Great pics and text. Thanks. Rod.
ROD CURRIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:26 AM   #10
Madmardigan OP
Generally confused...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD CURRIE
Hi There. I've just done the TAT and am coming over to do the Continental Divide next year. This looks like a great loop to put in after the trip. Can it all be done on a GS? I have a 1200 here and may well bring that across ( from the UK) to do the CD.
Great pics and text. Thanks. Rod.
Hey RC,

which way are you going to run the CD? From south to north?

Yeah, this route is easily do-able on a GS. I have that 1150 (non-adventure) GS and I ran that route with the Tourance rubber. No problems at all.... If you're wanting a more significant loop that includes the Lolo Motorway, you could set something up where you did the motorway, ran down to Elk City, ID, then came up the Magruder corridor. Then you could push on over Skalkaho pass, run through the Big Hole valley, etc, etc.

Alternatively, there are some place you could jump off the CD route and ride some interesting country over on the Rocky Mountain Front. I grew up over there and have a couple ideas for some nice additions...

If you haven't looked at the report DockingPilot posted, you should really check that out.

Finally, there's a number of local folks here who I'm sure would be happy to help you out with some route planning and maybe put some miles on with you. Myself included. Feel free to ask questions. Thanks for checking out the report.

-- Voltaire