User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
ronnie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Lifan 200

Anyone have any experience with the Lifan 200 dual sport? Good or bad!
ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
ImEazy
---- ---- ----

Oddometer: 152
I have a Jetmoto clone and have had nothing but fun with it.
This site has info on the Lifans...
http://www.chinariders.net/
Old 10-18-2006, 05:19 AM   #3
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 776
I sold several and never had any problems. 2 dealer friends have had loads of problems. If you buy one, buy it from a local dealer that will warranty it. Your on your own with mail order. Lifan backs their dealers very well.

Spend the extra for a good use Yamaha XT225 or a KLR250.
You'll be happier in the end.
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:07 PM   #4
blimpman
Fla Trail Rider

Oddometer: 707
Just bought a Lifan GY20-5 200cc Dual Sport. Not much time in the saddle yet but so far it is LOADS of fun!!!

http://www.floridatrailriders.org
blimpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
I'm asking

OK, since your sig says to ask you about the Lifan, and you also have an XT225, how do they compare? Details, please.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,310
Why is the "A" missing from between the "G" and the "Y"???
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718

Please don't tell me it's one of them anti-lock valves.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:09 AM   #8
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper

That's Lifan's patented "egg roll holder"....
Old 10-29-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
ImEazy
---- ---- ----

Quote:
I do believe that is what it is. I have read about individuals removing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
OK, since your sig says to ask you about the Lifan, and you also have an XT225, how do they compare? Details, please.
Well I have seen blimpman's Lifan up close and think it is a great bike for the money. It has a lot of little features that are nicer than my ebay clone. He has the inverted forks and rear disc brake whereas mine has the standard forks and rear drum. Overall quality is much better as well. We actually went for a ride a few weeks ago and I had the opportunity to ride his wifes XT225. He wanted to try out my GY. This was before the puchase of his. My opinion on the difference was the XT was shorter in height and more plush as far as the seat and suspension go. Being 6'2" I prefer the height of my GY better. As for the suspension well I can deal with it (it is a $1K bike). You must remember these bikes are in two completely different categories / price brackets. I am very new to this side of things as I have ridden/owned only street bikes for the last tweenty years. I do plan on a upgrade for the rear shock and a fluid change in the forks down the road. For the money spent I have really enjoyed the experience. I am a single Dad and bought this bike and two 125cc pitbikes introduce my two kids (12 & 13) to riding. The $2200 price tag for three new bikes fit my budget at the time. Having my GY registered for the street is just a bonus for me. One day when the funds are there I will have a name brand bike probably in the 400-650cc range. Here's a link to the ride report with pics from a few weeks ago...

http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...iewtopic&t=451
Old 10-29-2006, 11:03 AM   #10
blimpman
Fla Trail Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
Picked up the bike a week ago and I have about 60 miles on the bike so far. Just quick trips street riding because the weather here in NE Ohio SUCKS....

The closest area to ride a little bit of dirt is 26 miles away. Next good weather day I pick up a strange cough (ahem) and go riding.

The XT225 has a shorter wheelbase and seatheight and the suspension is alot softer. There are adjustments to change them both though. So the XT feels slightly smaller. The stock tires on the XT are much better ( Maxxis 6006) and the XT comes with rim locks. The Lifan comes with Cheng Shinn 858 knobbies that are greasy on the street. I have new tires on order already. They both have the same size tires and rims. Gas tank size is very close, made of metal on the XT and plastic on the Lifan. The gross weight feels pretty close. I just picked up the bikes from the rear and couldn't accurately measure it.

The Lifan is a five speed and the XT has six. They both have about the same top speed. The Lifan has a tach that is pretty inaccurate, measures about 750-1000rpm too high. No tach on the XT. The speedo on the Lifan mrasures speed in MPH but the Odometer is in Kilometers. Seems to be +5mph too high. I'll check later with my GPS.

The handle bar location on the Lifan is too low with respect to the seat for me so I have 1 1/2 inch risers on order. HB position on the XT is perfect for me. The XT came with minature foot pegs that I had to replace quickly but the Lifan has good sized aggressive foot pegs.

The position of where things are mounted on the Lifan could be better but I just took all the plastic off and wire-tied everything up so nothing was loose or being stretched. Locktited all the fasteners and lubed everything up. The battery is on the right side contained in a metal box but is located just above the exhaust pipe by two inches. I have felt the bottom of the battery box after a ride and it was not very warm though. Disc brakes front and rear on the Lifan which feel very good. The XT has disc front and drum rear. Good brakes on it too. The little gold thingy on the brake calipers are supposed to be some kind of anti-lock device. I think it just prevents you from stabbing the brakes and locking them up. I think it modulates the brake pressure so you can't give full pressure too fast. Although I am pretty sure I could lock up the wheel if I wanted to. Someday this winter I am going to take it apart and see what it does. The front one is kinda naked out there and looks like a magnet for a rock to jump up and snap it off.

Engine power feels the same since the engines are close in size. The Lifan starts very easily when cold but the XT is sometimes balky if I don't runs the carb dry before I put it away after a ride. I am sure there is a carb adjustment that will fix it though. I like the six speed trans on the XT better. It is a little smoother on the XT but it has 1400 miles and the Lifan is brand new. I'll reserve judgement on that for later. The lever controls on the Lifan are of lower quality but work very well. Rally Pro handguards are going on very soon. Already on the XT.

Riding impressions will have to wait till I can get this Lifan in the dirt. It seems to be pretty well balanced so far. It feels slightly bigger underneath you than the XT. I have ridden the XT recently on some OHV trails in South Carolina and it was REALLY fun..... Riding the same trails on my KLR was alot more work but still alot of fun.

The XT cost me $4,000 out the door. I bought the Lifan from Bruce Matty @ EJ Cycles in Mantua, Ohio. for $1780 out the door. He assembled, and prepped the bike before I picked it up. He is a great dealer and really works hard to be sure you are satidfied. He is a licensed dealer for American Lifan and can arrange warranty service and parts should the be a need.

Note this.... From Bruce Matty... There is American Lifan...And companies that sell Lifan products, that are imported by other Companies. American Lifan Does not & will not cover any Warranty for any company out there that imports Lifan products. American Lifan's warranty for street legal vehicles is 6 months/3000 miles, for parts & labor...6 months for Off-Road vehicles when purchased from a Dealer of American Lifan. American Lifan does not warranty a bike unless it is set-up by a Dealer.

Hope this quick writeup makes sense... I wrote it kinda fast. PM me if anyone has any questions. I intend on doing a better job on a comparison writeup soon after I get some time in the saddle.

It's alot of bike for the price!!!

Old 10-29-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
blimpman
Fla Trail Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Why is the "A" missing from between the "G" and the "Y"???
What G and what Y?

Old 10-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #12
ImEazy
---- ---- ----

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimpman
What G and what Y?
Looks good...
Old 10-31-2006, 12:18 PM   #13
blimpman
Fla Trail Rider

Quote:

OK, I won't tell you but for everyone else.... ( It's an antilock device for the brake. It actually works when adjusted correctly) ( also an egg roll warmer.... )( the super secret answer is that it is a NOS bottle... )

blimpman screwed with this post 10-31-2006 at 12:30 PM
Old 10-31-2006, 01:05 PM   #14
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimpman
OK, I won't tell you but for everyone else.... ( It's an antilock device for the brake. It actually works when adjusted correctly) ( also an egg roll warmer.... )( the super secret answer is that it is a NOS bottle... )
What'll those fuckin' Commies think of next?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:28 PM   #15
bronc3
Lucky 13

Oddometer: 1,731
Nice long term eval, hope the link works. Be interesting to see if you come up with similar results.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=379366
bronc3 is offline   Reply With Quote