Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
Jaqhammar OP
Hooligan

Oddometer: 2,726
Latest trail report on Dingo Dell and areas nearby.

I just got off the phone with Mick @NPWS at Oberon.
We talked about the Werong Trail being closed off when Alex and I rode there last Tues.
Apparently there are new private property owners in the area.
They would like to close all the fire trails if they had their way. (At least that is my understanding of it.)
Dingo Dell trail is on private property (PP) and the new land owner is making life a pain for local NPWS. It's only because of them the trail is still open.
Limeburners Flat is on PP and young off road bikers are tearing the place to bits and leaving their weekend rubbish all over the place.
NPWS has to go and clear the area all the time in the summer.
The Werong Trail is closed just past the Parliment Hill trail turn off.
You can take the Parliment Hill trail back towards the Jerong rd.
Little Werong Fire Trail is also closed, but Middle Werong Fire Trail also goes back to Jerong rd.
The Range Trail is open all the way...but that also runs thru PP.

The new property owners in some of these areas are making lots of noise about weekend 4x4 drivers and young riders on un-regisistered motocross bikes ripping their thoughrofares to pieces.
And I think they may be correct, I was perusing a 4x4 site and one poster actually wrote it for the world to read..." Yeah the trails around Dingo Dell and Limeburners are ok in the summer, but we like to get out there after it's rained, when the trails are really tough and we can use our winches. It's heaps of fun doing those routes in the winter, especially when there is fresh snow on the ground."
(Which I take to mean when the trails are soft and muddy and 4x4 drivers create havoc in terms of digging farking big trenches on the tracks)
Yeah, great, good on you chaps.

So that's the latest about the trails in the Dingo/Limeburner's area.

Mick said he has a crew out now clearing all the fallen trees off of those trails.
The NPWS is about to start placing new signage up at the beginning of the trails stating if they are open or closed and what alternative routes one can use.
I am phoning back a lady at Oberon NPWS tommorow to make suggestions about what the signage should say.
I am assured that input from genuine riders and drivers is sought in regards to using the trails in the area.
I was also told that two off road bikes were donated to Lithgow Police (by the NPWS) last year to help Officers patrol the areas but no one seems to have ever seen the Police Riders patrolling the areas since the bikes were donated to them.

The police also don't seem concerned about drivers/riders ripping up people's private property areas.

Mick told me that this is an ongoing problem and no one seems to have a real solution to it.

So that's the story at this moment in time.

Cheers: Jaq.
Jaqhammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:35 AM   #2
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,108
Doin' sumthin' about it...

I guess this means...

No more Limeburners trail? ... no more limeburners trail ... no more limeburners trail...

I have to applaud your efforts in contacting the NPWS and getting some info. first hand Jaq.

It's a shame that so many areas are being shut off, fenced in, closed down etc. I don't know how politically active you are Jaq. (in terms of the motorcycle/land accessabilty issue is concerned - I mean), or if you have had any contact with this organisation already... but this is the kind of info. theat the DSMRA http://www.dsmra.asn.au/ would probably be interested in (if they are not already aware of it).

Sorry to hear it's gone (or going)... the Kowmung/Wombeyan area is (was?) a great weekend getaway from Sydney area that wasn't TOO far away...

Mind you even ten years ago, there was a lot of evidence of the "locked rear diff/bullbar and winch crews" impact on the area starting to crop up... AND - I'm not suggesting that the damage is SOLEY the 4x4 blokes fault either... there are a lot of responsible recreational 4WD users around as well...

Check out the latest on the DSMRA site... seems they've been "cleaning up" around up north - trying to deal with the unregistered MX/enduro/trailbike problem...

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 05:06 AM   #3
baldymountaindweller
Bald Bulganite

Oddometer: 214
Dingo dell

I went through Dingo Dell around the 26th on the way to the TTT and out through Limeburners on the way home. The Dingo Dell camping area has been reduced in size. There is a fence up cutting it vertually in half. Mind you I've not been through that way for several years so it could of been there for some time. The area in general is getting more chopped up probably by 4x4's more so but trail bike would have to take some credit for the damage. More than likely to bikes towed in by the 4x4's who then hang aroud and show off for their mates. Usualy if you ride in you ride out after a quick look around as the camp area doesn't have the best riding.

As for Lime Burners this is copping a flogging it makes for good riding on a large bike though. The sign on the Yerranderie Rd end of the track is missing so untill it's replaced it will be a little harder to find if your not familier with it. Down on the flats there are a lot of pointless wheel track going up hills with no destination they just end. What the?

If your coming through the big O (Oberon) make sure you drop into the Tourist Hotel Bistro (it's open now) and say Gday to Davo she's BMW Kurts Girlie. They also have Lock up parking for Motorbikes if you wish to stay o'nite.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:50 PM   #4
ChrisCrossed
Now sans KLX...

Oddometer: 1,886
Thanks for the effort Jaq. Stack and I will be through there on Friday.

It's unfortunate but wherever there are people there are also tossers ruining it for others. I can't see the situation improving either with every second vehicle on the roads being a 4x and thousands of little Chinese pocket bikes owned by kids wanting to ride them somewhere. They insist on letting the kids run around in the carparks and campgrounds when 5 mins away in the bush no-one would see or probably care.

It amuses me that people buy these land holdings with full knowledge that there are tracks, even public roads, through them and then get the shits because their "quiet hideaway" isn't so quiet after all.

Kowmung, Limeburners and areas like the Watagans get the pressure because they are close to Sydney. Here's hoping they stay availble, but I won't be surprised to see them go under.

Enjoy it while you can - maybe the next generation's bush experience will be a boardwalk and an interpretive sign....
Old 10-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Oddometer: 679
Thanks for following up Jaq - was still a great day despite not making it to Taralga - so can you still get through to there??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLXChris
It amuses me that people buy these land holdings with full knowledge that there are tracks, even public roads, through them and then get the shits because their "quiet hideaway" isn't so quiet after all.
I don't understand this at all.

When we rode back from Nundle, there were a few gates to open and plenty of cows and horses to dodge - so I imagine we were riding on private property but still had some sort of right of way.

Why then where there is a fire trail, such as Werong, does a private landholder have the option to close it?
vbstubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
fatshiteondakar
a f big girls bike, ffs

Oddometer: 239
stop the rot and more bloody lockouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbstubby

When we rode back from Nundle, there were a few gates to open and plenty of cows and horses to dodge - so I imagine we were riding on private property but still had some sort of right of way.

Why then where there is a fire trail, such as Werong, does a private landholder have the option to close it?
The Nundle to Ellerston road has always been a public road and used to be 2wd accessible when Scone Shire maintained it a bit.

Its still open for us all to ride because most of the users respect the track and the fact they are crossing Private Property. Not too many shot out signs, rubbish, massive wet weather wheel rutts or other signs of human stupidity up that way,yet, because its a little further islolated.

Sites and trails accessible to Sydney and big other big centres are rapidly being stuffed by the idiots, no wonder the lockouts will continue.

FSOD
Old 10-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
GTinAus
nutsplitter

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbstubby

The difference is some are gazetted unfenced public roads, which the landholder does not own, and the public has right of acess (but only on the formed road), whilst fire trails, are just that, trails formed for the prevention of, or control of bush fires. They have not been gazetted, and hence are not for general public use.

The local council (or forestry or NPWS) has an obligation to maintain gazetted roads (sometimes very infrequently), however fire trails, used only by a landholder, forestry or NPWS, are maintained privately.

GTinAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Oddometer: 679
Thanks for the replies FSOD and GTiA
vbstubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
ChrisCrossed
Now sans KLX...

Oddometer: 1,886
If you need to be sure you can find out the status of roads from the Dept of Lands. The once I've tried anyway.

It can get very complicated. The firetrail near my place starts public, then private, then public again, as well as being a right of way for people who need to go through the private bit to access their properties.

The bloke that bought the private bit intercepts all the bikes, pushies and horses that used to use it but can't figure out if the 4xs are going to the properties up the road so lets them go. He looked very stressed out when he had chat to me to explain all the permutations chapter and verse - which I knew anyway. The idiots ignore him and blast past anyway. Who'd wish it on themselves - some retreat!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
Jaqhammar OP
Hooligan

I spoke to Jules today, she is the Manager at NPWS at Oberon...(and if her voice is anything to go by she's a real honey ).
She listened to my thoughts on new signage that will clearly tell people what trails are open their entire length and what trails may be closed and where, and said she will implement the new signage in the coming weeks.

So if you are riding down the Old Stock Route towards Yerrandrie the signs at the Werong Fire Trail (and others) will (hopefully) look something like this...

" Werong Fire Trail: Closed at appx 20 kms southern end.
Little Werrong Fire Trail closed to Jerong Rd.
Middle Werong Fire Trail open to Jerong Rd.
Parliment Hill Fire Trail open to Jerong Rd."

She said she is aware that new signage needs to be erected due to the activety of the new property owners closing off dirt roads that run thru their properties.
She is also going to drive down The Werong Trail this weekend to see where exactly the road is closed off, she thinks the property owner may have moved the closure closer than it used to be.
She said there was an alternative route to take to Taralga at an intersection, but Alex and I did not see it. It's possible that this intersection is now on the other side of the barrier.

VB mate...yes we could have taken the Parliment Hill Trail to Jerong Rd and thence to Taralga...but we of course did not know this because there was no signage and it was not marked on our map. Ho hum.

Troy: I will send this info to DSMRA mate. Cannot hurt.

Baldy: Thanks for the info on the Tourist Hotel. We'll stop there for a drink and some food next time. Ummm...Davo seems an odd name for a shelia?
And yes, Jules said Limeburners is being destroyed by weekenders on unregistered motocross bikes, ripping the whole area to shreds.
You are also correct...the new owner at Dingo Dell has fenced off quite a bit of the flat area. He is making noises about closing the road. NPWS has just discovered that the route thru the Dell, far from being part of the Park is actually on his property.

Chris: The Werong Trail is worth taking if you have never been on it before, many anti-erosion humps to jump over. Many steep downhill sections followed by small straights, goes through some nice open grassy areas, a couple next to small creeks.
The Parliment Hill Trail looks interesting, looked unused for ages as far as Alex and I could tell.
In fact there were at least five tress down across the Werong and ours were obviously the only vehicles that had used it for quite a while.
If you take the Werong on the weekend and come across a lady in a NPWS 4x4 that will be Jules.
(Take pics yeah? )

Jules also had a warning about bushfires in these areas this summer.
It has hardly rained around Kanagra Park at all this winter. Everything is bone dry. (As Alex and I noticed.)
She suggests that riding the area is ok unless it is a very hot day with strong dry winds. She also suggested to keep an eye on storm build ups on these days, apparently they fear lightning strikes will ignite the dry bush with no trouble at all.
You don't want to be halfway down those trails if a bushfire breaks out.

Cheers: Jaq.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:07 AM   #11
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldymountaindweller
say Gday to Davo she's BMW Kurts "Girlie".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqhammar
Ummm...Davo seems an odd name for a shelia?
Once you've met BMWKurt, you'd understand.

I've been on a few rides with him and His Missus, Davo.

Good people.

I dunno how they can ride off road, in leathers, even if they are well vented ones.

Name:  midgets.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  16.3 KB

Hi Kurt
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!

rjf screwed with this post 10-18-2006 at 01:16 AM Reason: insert pic of Kurt and Davo
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #12
Jaqhammar OP
Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa_pete
Not always a reliable indicator in my experience......

pete
I agree, but I am always hopeful.