Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
Cumbacheech OP
XRated

Oddometer: 823
xr650l modifications

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Adventure Rider. I have a stock 2001 XR650L. I hade been riding my bike for the last couple of years and I am now starting to get the itch to start modifying. I have added a windshield removed the passenger pegs. I have seen that a lot of people have made the following mods
Smog-off kit
Air snorkel removed, replaced air filter with a Uni-air filter
Jetting

Everyone says that these mods will improve performance, but I want to know what the advantages / disadvantages are. I saw that most of the people who have done these mods have also changed their exhaust. I don’t plan on changing the exhaust (not yet atleast!! )

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks!!
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:10 PM   #2
ere109
Ride On!

Oddometer: 2,912
If you're interested, I have a brand new K&N Air Filter that I've got posted in the Flea Market section. I bought it for my '02 XR650L before I sold the bike, then gave the guy the wrong filter when he took it. $40 shipped.
ere109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:21 AM   #3
Slick_Rick_xr650L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
You should check out yahoo groups... XRLUG....they have a lot of info on this bike there. I learned to modify my xr650l here and it has never run better. You can do the mods you have described without doing the pipe. Dyno jet makes an excellent kit that comes with two jets one for bikes with a pipe and one without. It also comes with a new needle and slide spring. I also learned on yahoo how to modify the carb by drilling out the slide. I was a little nevrous doing this but everything worked out great. I.ve also changed pipes to a supertrapp IDS2. My bike makes more power then I ever imagined posible when I bought it new.
Slick_Rick_xr650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #4
texasrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hey,
have a 97 xrl, 4.7 clarke tank. did the carb mods, and installed wb e series pipe and header. lots of noise, and no real gain in power ymmv. have since gone back to stock pipe for less noise. the carb mods and uni filter made a lot of difference in smoothness, and ease of starting. try this link for the carb mods:http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/
hope this helps.

A.C.
texasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #5
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Rick_xr650L
You should check out yahoo groups... XRLUG....they have a lot of info on this bike there. I learned to modify my xr650l here and it has never run better. You can do the mods you have described without doing the pipe. Dyno jet makes an excellent kit that comes with two jets one for bikes with a pipe and one without. It also comes with a new needle and slide spring. I also learned on yahoo how to modify the carb by drilling out the slide. I was a little nevrous doing this but everything worked out great. I.ve also changed pipes to a supertrapp IDS2. My bike makes more power then I ever imagined posible when I bought it new.
XRLUG is the origin for the data for the dave-mods.
All I did was compile the info into one spot, somehow became known as the dave-mods.

Dave
XR650L_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
Cumbacheech OP
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Rick_xr650L

If I get the Dyno jet kit and install it. Do I need to do the mod to the carb (Dave's mod) that everyone is talking about?
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #7
lrutt
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech
If I get the Dyno jet kit and install it. Do I need to do the mod to the carb (Dave's mod) that everyone is talking about?
I'd save the money on the DJ kit. I just bought some jets from Sudco I think and shimmed the needle, drilled the slide. Went up one size on the pilot jet, ended up with a 155 main, and a .025 shim on the needle. I have a uni foam and slip on supertrapp. I also cleaned out the weld on the head pipes and gained some there.

Plus an xr's only billet rack, 4.0 clark, CR hi bend bars, and the oil temp gauge.
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
burro
flyin talkin donkey

Oddometer: 68
Cumbacheech,

I actually removed the DJ kit that came on the bike. Then I replaced some original parts and added all Dave's mods. It runs MUCH better than the DJ kit did. Since the DJ kit was already paid for, I didn't save any money there but it runs better in terms of better throttle response. I can't tell if the power/acceleration is any better, but it certainly isn't worse.

Even if you are only slightly mechanically inclined, it shouldn't be difficult.

155 main 58s pilot

casey
burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
albee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
[quote=Cumbacheech]

Carb/Intake mods - a big improvement all around; no disadvantages. I kept the stock exhaust. My past experience on other bikes with exhaust mods has been more noise, along with poor fit.

Other good things to do: Big gas tank, steering damper, fork brace, steel braided/teflon front brake line, oil cooler. And for comfort - wide footpegs, handgrip heaters, sheepskin seatpad.
albee is offline   Reply With Quote