ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Is it ok to throw things at cars?
Yes it's ok, I don't care to think about consequences and other riders' safety. 3 1.96%
No you freakin' dumbass, you're endangering us by putting more debris on the road! 132 86.27%
I don't care, it doesn't affect me either way. 7 4.58%
I'll do whatever I want, I'm still 15 yrs old in my head, screw you guys. 11 7.19%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2006, 05:35 PM   #31
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 14,083
I don't think I'd ever try to throw something at a car or try to kick it while on a bike. When I was a kid on the back of my dads' kaw 400 we were cruising a back road when this VW bug full of teenagers comes by, opens the door and trys to take us out. My dad with out much thought slowed and pulled the bike out of the way and accross a ditch. Needless to say the car could not follow. I've always tried to remeber that and the fact a bike can go where a car can not. If endangered find that spot and wait. As for idiots who just piss me off, I throw a salute. If I threw items I'd be out before I could get home.
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:53 PM   #32
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Mayer
About 4 years ago, I was riding to work, when a woman, yammering on her cell phone and drinking a cup of Starbucks nearly turned me into hamburger. Honking the 135db horns did no good. A few moments later, we stopped at a long, slow left turn light. I dismounted the bike, walked to her driver door, ripped the phone and coffee from her hands and threw both to ground, being sure to crush the phone in the process. She stared at me in disbelief as I yelled "Pay fucking attention, before you kill someone, you stupid bitch!"

I hopped on the bike, flipped a U-turn, and road away.
I fantasize about doing this. No really! Occasionally there will be a time when everything I do to minimize my risk is erased because someone thinks it's ok to sit in a 2ton vehicle moving at 50 mph and talk on a cellphone. Right then, I fantasize about shocking some sense into them. Maybe there should be an Adventure Rider Letters section where people can write down experiences like Jacob has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:19 AM   #33
HighDezert
KLR Dirt Pilot

Oddometer: 120
Fortunately i haven't done road battle on a bike yet, but got chased a few times by carloads of thugs with guns, crazy rednecks, and crazy drunken bitches. There's some instances where having a car confined me to the roads where i could have otherwise escaped easier.

Once ended up in a triple digit chase with a bunch of drunken idiot rednecks, tried to run me off a causeway bridge in a construction zone, then tried to stop me. Did the barrier slalom thing with the CRX over the bridge and gained some ground, hit the highway and finally pulled on 'em at about 130mph a few miles later. I'm glad i did the ram ar intake and exhaust, just enough hp to save my ass when it mattered.

Oh, and the strangest thing i've ever thrown at someone was my steering wheel. Caging amongst crowds of asshats on a hot florida summer day, i was ever so slighly irritated with a shining example of asshattery by the driver ahead. Already in a not so pleasant mood, i ripped the steering wheel off the hub david banner style and chucked it at the asshat ahead, just as he drove off, i missed. What sucked was driving home 20 miles with a pair of visegrips.
HighDezert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 05:44 AM   #34
gfspencer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBMWMaster
It happened to me last week. I was coming to work and I saw the white BMW sedan in my mirrors; swerving from one lane to the next, trying to get ahead of traffic. I moved over to the right as far as I could and he split the lane and blew on by.

From out of NOWHERE came a white streak of lightning. One of Wilmington's finest on his NEW BMW bike...BLUE LIGHTS FLASHING AND SIREN BLASTING !!!!

Did I feel good? You damn right I did.

BTW, the young kid and his female companion were both on their phones. She was still on hers when I went by. He was being frisked...lol.
gfspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #35
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,582
Good example of why not to chase.

Check this link. It's a bit long & some may have seen it already. Maybe it's even 205'd, but it's a good view IMO. Shows very clearly what you may be getting yourself into if you choose to chase someone down to "teach them a lesson".

http://www.filecabi.net/video/billyscamera.html

Nico
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #36
Kbetts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO
Check this link. It's a bit long & some may have seen it already. Maybe it's even 205'd, but it's a good view IMO. Shows very clearly what you may be getting yourself into if you choose to chase someone down to "teach them a lesson".

http://www.filecabi.net/video/billyscamera.html

Nico
Errrr, I'm thinking the video seems to be staged/fake/acting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Hey, this is ADVrider, where facts are not real important.
Kbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #37
jdbski
old but getting younger

Oddometer: 443
sh$@t happens

Over the course of riding for 35+ years i have lost my mind and kicked a door or two. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but not so smart after more time had passed.

i once almost went to jail for tossing oreo cookies at another car, so i have tamed down my response to idiots and just now give them the salute!
jdbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:06 AM   #38
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 23,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbetts
Errrr, I'm thinking the video seems to be staged/fake/acting.
No way, dude. Everything on the internet is real. Right?
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #39
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Mayer
About 4 years ago, I was riding to work, when a woman, yammering on her cell phone and drinking a cup of Starbucks nearly turned me into hamburger. Honking the 135db horns did no good. A few moments later, we stopped at a long, slow left turn light. I dismounted the bike, walked to her driver door, ripped the phone and coffee from her hands and threw both to ground, being sure to crush the phone in the process. She stared at me in disbelief as I yelled "Pay fucking attention, before you kill someone, you stupid bitch!"

I hopped on the bike, flipped a U-turn, and road away.
I feel your pain, but if another cager had called it in, you'd be the one doing time for criminal assualt. Two wrongs don't make a right in law.

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #40
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,294
When I was younger i used to bicycle in Toronto. Cagers were pathetic and never shared the road. One day some rich guy in a mercedes insisted on squeezing me into the cars parked along the curb so I popped the top on a 1litre water bottle and let it go through his sun roof. The next day at work (bicycle shop) I asked a bicycle cop what would happen if a guy did such a thing. He said "good thinking" and figured it was NBD as water wouldn't do damage and traffic was slow to stopped.
I resist the urge to do such things now as I live in a less populated area and I haven't seen another bike like mine here. The thought of a paintball pistol in a shoulder rig does come up now and again
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:00 AM   #41
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Only thing I can remember throwing at a cage was a lit butt that some clueless smoker tossed uncaringly out his window and into my faceshield which dropped into my lap. I calmly picked it up with my left hand, rolled the throttle on and paced the cage and tossed it back into his open window at 30MPH. Boy, was he surprised...

Oh, and the occasional fresh booger I've picked has been flicked onto a windshield or 3.

Once I put a foot into the passenger-side door of a clueless cager but I really had no other choice as I was being tail-gated the car in front was slowing down and the concrete barrier to my right didn't look too enticing.

Sure woke that dude up too. Dented his door pretty good. Cage sheet metal isn't really up to a good kick...

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:07 AM   #42
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,118
Back home I've thrown many things at arseholes (mainly punches and hit one guys truck with an alluminum baseball bat). Unfortunately you can't do that in the US and I've mellowed down a bit (I think it's called growning up). But I do miss it......

Hey, I've thrown plastic coke bottles at cabbies in NYC (from my cager).
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:08 AM   #43
motomaj
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Pissed road side bomb

ok i thought about it and went for the "don't be a dumb ass "..fk it ..i just can't help myself not wanting to really fk up some ashole on the road!!!
motomaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:13 PM   #44
Forty Years Ago
I'm not an alcoholic.

Oddometer: 259
Several years ago while riding my bicycle down hill in the right lane well in excess of the 35mph speed limit a cage pulled up behind me and started honking. He then roared by within inches of my shoulder.

I followed the fool into the parking lot of a shopping center, reached in his window, put his gearshift in park, ripped his keys from the ignition, threw them on the roof of an nearby building and rode away.

Semper Fi 1963 - 1969. A/1/11, B/1/14
Forty Years Ago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:05 PM   #45
Roughidle
Super Star Destroyer....

Oddometer: 1,494
Detroit

although i generally dont think its a good idea, after being tailgated, cut off, hit, had drinks/ food/ rocks thrown at me, I have even been forced on purpose off the road at least 5 times. I have often thoght of making a 1" in ball bearing dispenser that would allow me to have easy acces to something to throw.

I have not done this yet, and I have put some led flashers on the back of my bike and im sticking to throwing the bird.

I have even taken to finding a parking lot or safe place to pull over and just chill out for a few. I find I am a WAY better rider when im not angry.

Im glad someone started this post, give me a chanve to VENT.

and no I dont ride like an ass on the street, just try riding in detroit, land of SUV's, potholes, and generally crappy roads.

Roughidle screwed with this post 10-19-2006 at 02:52 PM
Roughidle is offline   Reply With Quote