User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #1
diter OP
BMWKTM-Duc,Duc

Oddometer: 73
ktm 625 sxc (lc4) oil leak from rocker?

so, I have a new-ish to me 2003 ktm 625 sxc. The bike had lived a hard life before it came into my hands, but after a couple of month of weekend tinkering it is finally running well(ish). Fun Bike!! but I'm getting a leak/seep from the right-front of the head. I thought I had screwed up the valve cover seal (I have just rebuilt the waterpump) when I put it back on. So yesterday I took the cover off, cleaned and inspected the surfaces and carefully applied the sealant. It looked like a damn fine seal if I may say so myself.

So after a 20 mile ride around town doing errands, I looked at it an it is still leaking. it seems to be coming from the forward shaft of the rockers, the leak is ABOVE the seal from the valve/rocker cover.

Is this something common?

is there an easy remedy (slather some sealant on it) or do I need to rebuild the rocker cover with the appropriate replacement parts?

Thanks!

(will take and post pics soon)
Old 03-20-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,861
It's fairly common, there are some o-rings in there that need replacing. Happened on my 640.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
diter OP
BMWKTM-Duc,Duc

Oddometer: 73
Thanks!!

Good to know.

I'll order the parts (I think it needs to be shimmed as well)

I slathered on some HT sealant on to hopefully stem the flow in the meantime.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,861
I doubt you're losing all that much, probably 1cc per thousand miles.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #5
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by diter View Post
so, I have a new-ish to me 2003 ktm 625 sxc. The bike had lived a hard life before it came into my hands, but after a couple of month of weekend tinkering it is finally running well(ish). Fun Bike!! but I'm getting a leak/seep from the right-front of the head. I thought I had screwed up the valve cover seal (I have just rebuilt the waterpump) when I put it back on. So yesterday I took the cover off, cleaned and inspected the surfaces and carefully applied the sealant. It looked like a damn fine seal if I may say so myself.

So after a 20 mile ride around town doing errands, I looked at it an it is still leaking. it seems to be coming from the forward shaft of the rockers, the leak is ABOVE the seal from the valve/rocker cover.

Is this something common?

is there an easy remedy (slather some sealant on it) or do I need to rebuild the rocker cover with the appropriate replacement parts?

Thanks!

(will take and post pics soon)
Check and make sure you didn't mix up the 2 valve cover bolts over the camshaft on that side... Those bolts are different lengths and if you mix them up the long one will bottom in the wrong hole before proper clamping pressure is applied causing a leak...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote