ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2006, 03:43 AM   #31
motophil
Paint it black!
 
motophil's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 143


This is my ex-DR350S, Model 1990. Sold it to a friend last year after buying a LC4. He still owns and loves it.

Mods:
* No battery but 22mF-Cap
* No passenger pegs
* Short rear indicators in front, rear indicators positioned further up and inside
* Stainless steel brake hose
* Stock muffler but Aluminium-coated
* Selfmade Koubalinks from 8mm stainless steel
* Eibach 7,6kg/mm rear spring
* Fork springs by Wirth
* Removed the carb slide stop so it produces 30HP
* Acerbis handguards
* Removed rear subframe, selfmade license plate carrier and -light
* 50mm bar risers that also move the bar 17mm to the front
* Modified DR650R Dakar bashplate
* Oil thermometer
* Modified sprocket cover for improved self-cleaning
* Aftermarket mirror clamps to prevent brake cylinder damage
* Acerbis tank w/ lockable cap
* +4cm seat height

motophil screwed with this post 10-01-2009 at 05:21 AM
motophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:41 PM   #32
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
steve gs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorville, Michigan
Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by motophil

This is my ex-DR350S, Model 1990. Sold it to a friend last year after buying a LC4. He still owns and loves it.

Mods:
* No battery but 22mF-Cap
* No passenger pegs
* Short rear indicators in front, rear indicators positioned further up and inside
* Stainless steel brake hose
* Stock muffler but Aluminium-coated
* Selfmade Koubalinks from 8mm stainless steel
* Eibach 7,6kg/mm rear spring
* Fork springs by Wirth
* Removed the carb slide stop so it produces 30HP
* Acerbis handguards
* Removed rear subframe, selfmade license plate carrier and -light
* 50mm bar risers that also move the bar 17mm to the front
* Modified DR650R Dakar bashplate
* Oil thermometer
* Modified sprocket cover for improved self-cleaning
* Aftermarket mirror clamps to prevent brake cylinder damage
* Acerbis tank w/ lockable cap
* +4cm seat height
Which Acerbis tank did you fit.
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #33
Rotor-head
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Republic of Texas
Oddometer: 51
Keep it coming....I want to hear about all the stuff you guys are doing with these bikes

My DR350 is down for about a week while the header gets ceramic coated black. Got a deal from a friend of a friend etc to do the work. I made the mistake when I painted my muffler after the Jesse mod of painting the header (after blasting it). Well the so-called high temp stove paint burned off within about 10 minutes . Though it is holding up well on the muffler. Should be great when it's done....hopefully a reduction in heat on the right leg too.

I'm having fun with this bike and am now on the search for a mid 90's DR650 to motard. Figure the bigger engine would be better screaming around on the road.

Need to figure out how to post pics....
Rotor-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 12:03 AM   #34
motophil
Paint it black!
 
motophil's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Which Acerbis tank did you fit.
Ähm, is there more than one designed for the DR350? It's the only one I know of - holding 14.5l (give or take some, because it will actually hold 17, but give you only around 14.5)

- Philip
motophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:25 PM   #35
honcho
Barley Adventurer
 
honcho's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Viginia Mountains
Oddometer: 912
I'm in the process of aquiring a 91 dr350s. i rode it around for a short while today, and had a good time. The only things i can think of that need immediate attention are the front suspension, and possibly the front brake. when making quicker stops, there is a significant amount of "dive"... i guess this could be fixed with heavier fork oil, and possibly new springs. any good sources for suspension upgrades?... what are the muffler and airbox mods that have been referred to in previous posts? anytihing else a "must do"?

i'm about 6'2 180, and plan on riding mostly around the county, and a couple day trips... nothing long range yet. seems like a great trail/offroad bike.
thanks
__________________
it'll be an adventure!
honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:43 AM   #36
kktos
on a bright side of life
 
kktos's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: in front of Mare Nostrum
Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

hi.
I'm the lucky owner of a DR350 94 (e starter) since last saturday .
The bike needed some works in order to be used off road.
I watched this thread with growing interest () and saw some things that puzzled me.

The most intriguing was
- Removed the carb slide stop so it produces 30HP
I believe I saw something similar in the kientech website.
What is it exactly ?

cheers,
/Thierry.
__________________
Vita brevis, ars longa, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile
08 R1200GSA Red 21" woody's
morocco 2006 | morocco 2007 | Traces of Kimangao: An HP2 in France, Spain and Italy | Morocco 2008: a F800GS test ride | where the destination is Anamur - Turkey via Greece...
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:40 AM   #37
motophil
Paint it black!
 
motophil's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos
- Removed the carb slide stop so it produces 30HP
What is it exactly?
In the early 90s Germany was the biggest market for Jap bikes so they were built exactly to the needs of that market. Back then we had a 20kW/27HP limit for beginners on bikes, so the DR350S was built and sold (worldwide, as far as I know) with 27HP, although it was capable of producing 30HP.

This was achieved by moulding three carb slide stops into the carb cap. They're about 8mm long and can be easily removed with a Dremel-like tool.

Your 94 model shouldn't be affected since the German law changed in 93 and raised the limit to 25kW/34HP, so DR350S were sold with 30HP from then on. But It's easy to check if you want to. Remove the fuel tank, remove the carb cap and see if it has three 8x8mm cylinders placed around the spring guide in the middle.

- Philip
motophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:58 AM   #38
kktos
on a bright side of life
 
kktos's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: in front of Mare Nostrum
Oddometer: 2,345
Danke sehön, philip. cristal clear.
/thierry
__________________
Vita brevis, ars longa, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile
08 R1200GSA Red 21" woody's
morocco 2006 | morocco 2007 | Traces of Kimangao: An HP2 in France, Spain and Italy | Morocco 2008: a F800GS test ride | where the destination is Anamur - Turkey via Greece...
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:19 AM   #39
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
BikePilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 11,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by honcho
I'm in the process of aquiring a 91 dr350s. i rode it around for a short while today, and had a good time. The only things i can think of that need immediate attention are the front suspension, and possibly the front brake. when making quicker stops, there is a significant amount of "dive"... i guess this could be fixed with heavier fork oil, and possibly new springs. any good sources for suspension upgrades?... what are the muffler and airbox mods that have been referred to in previous posts? anytihing else a "must do"?

i'm about 6'2 180, and plan on riding mostly around the county, and a couple day trips... nothing long range yet. seems like a great trail/offroad bike.
thanks
Yep, the forks are super soft, stiffer springs would be highly recomended. Check out the racetech website for starters
__________________
'09 Buell XB12XT, TL1000S, H1F, M620, CR250R, KX100, XR650R, Cota 315R

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:38 AM   #40
honcho
Barley Adventurer
 
honcho's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Viginia Mountains
Oddometer: 912
thanks
__________________
it'll be an adventure!
honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:47 PM   #41
honcho
Barley Adventurer
 
honcho's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Viginia Mountains
Oddometer: 912
i've been looking, but can't find a source for stainless brake lines... the keintech site has a lot of good stuff, but i'm still looking for suspension upgrades (the racetech site seemed iffy). what do the kouba links do other than lower the bike (which i have no desire to do)? thanks
__________________
it'll be an adventure!
honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:06 AM   #42
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
BikePilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 11,175
The kobula links generally increase the raito of swingarm movement to shock shaft movement. Wether this is a good thing or not is debateable, lots of folks can't stand them, others like them, everyone more or less agrees that you need a stiffer shock spring with the links than without.

Lots of DR info at maximum-suzuki.com and thumpertalk.

have fun
__________________
'09 Buell XB12XT, TL1000S, H1F, M620, CR250R, KX100, XR650R, Cota 315R

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #43
motophil
Paint it black!
 
motophil's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
The kobula links generally increase the raito of swingarm movement to shock shaft movement.
Nope, sorry. That's not what they do.

While the original linking is simply misconstructed - beeing rather stiff in normal riding position but getting less (!) stiff the more the spring is compressed - Kouba corrects this: Now the bike is rather comfortable at normal riding and gets way stiffer when the spring is compressed.

I've ridden my 350 without and with, and I wouldn't want to miss them. It doesn't work with the original spring, though.

- Philip
motophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 01:19 PM   #44
motophil
Paint it black!
 
motophil's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Germany
Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by honcho
i've been looking, but can't find a source for stainless brake lines...
In Germany Lucas supplies them... http://www.lucas-bikersworld.com/en/katalog/
motophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #45
minnjim
Gnarly Adventurer
 
minnjim's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Minnesota/Arizona
Oddometer: 102
RMX 250 swingarm(easy conversion)

Please forgive my ignorance, but what does the RMX swingarm give you?
minnjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014