Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #76
ST4Fun
Proud to be an Infidel

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by honcho
that's a heck of a leak!

nice ride! good deal too.

I would recommend a rear fenderectomy for the first mod... looks way better, and it's free!
Yea, thank God that's just some rain water in a low spot on the concret, and not GAS!
True, good point, that's an easy one. The big mirrors gota go too, I think I'll replace with something smaller that folds or swings away. Actually it does have a Cobra slip on exhaust cannister that is Forestry Approved, its sounds pretty good...first item will be some kinda rear rack, and I'd like to replace the stock turn indicators with something that isn't so easy to snap off...sum bark busters too I suppose, to protect the levers.

ST4Fun screwed with this post 12-28-2006 at 12:38 PM
ST4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:34 PM   #77
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST4Fun
Yea, thank God that's just some rain water in a low spot on the concret, and not GAS!
True, good point, that's an easy one. The big mirrors gota go too, I think I'll replace with something smaller that folds or swings away.
Yeah, mirrors are a good idea... I was riding through some thick rhododendron and tight woods trails yesterday and wishing I didn't have my mirrors on there. Be sure to show us a pic of what it looks like when you get done hooking it up!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #78
honcho
Barley Adventurer

The "T" mod is a pretty standard cheap mod too... all you do is insert a plastic "T" into the carb vent line and split it in two, one end running up into the frame (the way it does stock) and the other end coming out behind the rear master cylinder. It's supposed to help with starting... it has not had any noticable effect on my starting though. If you are having trouble starting and your bike is like mine (hard as shit to start) I suggest holding the throttle 1/2 open while you kick. Or popping the clutch.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:43 PM   #79
ST4Fun
Proud to be an Infidel

Quote:
Yeah, mirrors are a good idea... I was riding through some thick rhododendron and tight woods trails yesterday and wishing I didn't have my mirrors on there. Be sure to show us a pic of what it looks like when you get done hooking it up!
10/4...will do. This thread, the riders and links, in gunna come in real handy...gota make room in the garage this weekend. This bike ain't use to such outdoor abuse....YET!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:52 PM   #80
ST4Fun
Proud to be an Infidel

Quote:
The "T" mod is a pretty standard cheap mod too... all you do is insert a plastic "T" into the carb vent line and split it in two, one end running up into the frame (the way it does stock) and the other end coming out behind the rear master cylinder. It's supposed to help with starting... it has not had any noticable effect on my starting though. If you are having trouble starting and your bike is like mine (hard as shit to start) I suggest holding the throttle 1/2 open while you kick. Or popping the clutch.
It's the street model, so electric start only. The battery was just replaced, and its seemed to start after several tries with the choke out and a little throttle...I'll play with it on a cold morning and she how it does. Probably replace the metal gas tank too with a larger desert tank...a gota lot of web searching and shoping to do I bought it from a good friend of mine, and he really gave me a good deal on the price I thought. I told him he could get 2 grand for it easy, in it's condition...he didn't care and would rather see me have some fun with it...way cool guy.

ST4Fun screwed with this post 12-28-2006 at 01:02 PM
Old 12-28-2006, 03:02 PM   #81
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
that's a heck of a leak!

nice ride! good deal too.

I would recommend a rear fenderectomy for the first mod... looks way better, and it's free!
fenderectomy?????

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 04:40 PM   #82
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Probably replace the metal gas tank too with a larger desert tank...a gota lot of web searching and shoping to do
Hey congrats on the new bike, I own a 94 model. Do me a favor will ya, if and when you make a decission on the tank post some pictures on what you got. I am thinking about a new tank at some point next summer and would like to hear how things turned out for you.

Great looking bike!!

On the starting, mine starts up just fine with the choke out and no throttle, unless it sits for a couple of days, then it needs to crank over for a while. I noticed this fall after putting the bike away that the plug is showing signs telling me the engine is running lean, might have something to do with the engine taking its time to start if it sits too long.

Not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread or if you know about it already but spend time at the following website
www.kientech.com

a dr350 owners must on the favorites list!!
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 07:36 PM   #83
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondahawkrider
fenderectomy?????
remove all of that license plate mounting junk. bolt license plate directly to rear fender and get a tail light lense that is clear on the bottom (for street legal purposes). i'm pretty sure that the lense from the drz400 will fit. saves a couple of pounds and looks better. less surface area for mud to cling too.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:53 AM   #84
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Quote:
I just paid Santa 1,500 bucks for this ultra clean 96 DR350SE. Pretty much show room condition, 2k miles, still the origional tires I suspect. A real garage queen, and I'm really excited to have a dual sport again.(been a couple of years) Great thread, cuz I want to set it up for some Adv riding, and she is bone stock. You guys are giving me some great farkeling ideas!

Even has the original tool bag, but the guy couldn't find the owners manual...Rats! Any of you guys know where to get one?
Awsome deal, that's an amazing price for such a clean bike! A Suzuki dealership should be able to get you a manual with no trouble.

I just snagged a 4.25 gal Acerbis tank for mine. Haven't mounted it yet, but first impression is that its top quality - I wanted an acerbis because it has dual petcocks and in theory should be able to utilize more if its fuel capacity - also it looked like the leg cut-outs were a bit deeper than the others and I like a slim feeling bike. Will post up a ride report with it soon I hope - I've got monday and tuesday off work

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 07:13 AM   #85
honcho
Barley Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
Awsome deal, that's an amazing price for such a clean bike! A Suzuki dealership should be able to get you a manual with no trouble.

I just snagged a 4.25 gal Acerbis tank for mine. Haven't mounted it yet, but first impression is that its top quality - I wanted an acerbis because it has dual petcocks and in theory should be able to utilize more if its fuel capacity - also it looked like the leg cut-outs were a bit deeper than the others and I like a slim feeling bike. Will post up a ride report with it soon I hope - I've got monday and tuesday off work
let us know when you get it installed... did you find it used?
Old 12-29-2006, 01:03 PM   #86
ST4Fun
Proud to be an Infidel

Thanks for the words everyone, that Kienteck link is the ticket it would appear...I'll give my Suzuki dealer a call on the owners manual and see if they can be ordered...

I was thinking I would go with the Acerbis 4.25 like BikePilot did, I'll post up when I get it done. Hopefully these things are still available somewhere out there for a 96, haven't search it out yet. Ditto on Hondo's question...

You guys got any recomendations or links for a rear rack that's still made?
Did anyone ever build a hard sadlebag setup for one of these? I'd be curious to see what it looks like...otherwise a softbag setup is probably the way to go for over-nighters at the lake and such, I would think on this bike...

edit: After posting this I have done some searching on this forum, and have found several links that may prove usefull. I got messages into Promotobillet & Happy-trails to see if the rear tail rack is still available. There is also a guy(Brian) over at Maxium-Suzuki that makes one for the S or SE model that looks really good. He has them for sale on ebay here...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...67122422QQrdZ1

ST4Fun screwed with this post 12-29-2006 at 03:05 PM
Old 12-29-2006, 04:30 PM   #87
johnnyandjebus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Hey a couple more thoughts for you
Joing the yahoo group called DSN_DR a great group for the dr350

As to the manual, mine came with a manual from CLYMER, it is a Suzuki manual for the DR350-250 for 1990-94
A great manual with all the info you well need to do just about anything.
I have bought several manuals over the years for different cars I have owned most have sucked this one doesn't, the best yet.
Check out ebay I have seen them for sale there.
johnnyandjebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:39 PM   #88
hondahawkrider
DAMN Rider/Motardian

Oddometer: 800
Quote:
Thanks for the words everyone, that Kienteck link is the ticket it would appear...I'll give my Suzuki dealer a call on the owners manual and see if they can be ordered...

I was thinking I would go with the Acerbis 4.25 like BikePilot did, I'll post up when I get it done. Hopefully these things are still available somewhere out there for a 96, haven't search it out yet. Ditto on Hondo's question...

You guys got any recomendations or links for a rear rack that's still made?
Did anyone ever build a hard sadlebag setup for one of these? I'd be curious to see what it looks like...otherwise a softbag setup is probably the way to go for over-nighters at the lake and such, I would think on this bike...

edit: After posting this I have done some searching on this forum, and have found several links that may prove usefull. I got messages into Promotobillet & Happy-trails to see if the rear tail rack is still available. There is also a guy(Brian) over at Maxium-Suzuki that makes one for the S or SE model that looks really good. He has them for sale on ebay here...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...67122422QQrdZ1

I haven't dealt with Brian - but my bike came with one of his racks and it's rock solid..... He seems to have a good rep from what I have read if that means anything...

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
hondahawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 04:49 PM   #89
BikePilot OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
Quote:
let us know when you get it installed... did you find it used?
Yep, found it used - a fellow on maximum-suzuki.com saw it for sale at a local shop that was closing down. I installed it today, like it quite well.

I found the tank easy to mount, the hardware was all included and quite nice. The front of the tank is held by rubber donught type things that screw onto the end of the cylinder head stay mounting bracket bolts, the rear uses the stock bracket but without the rubber mounts and with longer bolts. You also have to remove the rubber bumper on the botom of the front part of the seat for it to fit flush against the tank. Anyway, here are the pics. Its still dirty as it was starting to get dark, but I snapped a few pics anway:)

All pics are "click-fo-biguns" of course
First I took the seat and side pannels off

pulled the new tank out of the box

Installed the tank mounting donught things (had to reverse one of the cylinder head stay mounting bolts so that it pointed the other way - just fyi)

And slid the tank into place and bolted it down

Then slid the seat on - note in this pic the seat still has the foward most rubber bumper which holds it up away from the tank a bit. I removed this before bolting the tank down as it seemd to fit better that way.

For comparison here are some pics with the old tank

I didn't have a T-fitting handy so I just hooked up one fuel petcock for a quick spin around the block. Tomorrow I'll go get a T-fitting and hook the other one up. First impression is that in the knee cutouts the tank is actually slimmer than stock and easier to grip with your legs. If I scoot all the way foward as I would to corner on a MX bike My knees are forced past the cutouts and get pushed out a bit by the tanks width at the front. Overal I like the feel of the tank much better than stock (never liked metal tanks - just don't feel right to me when gripping with my knees) and think it will be the perfect dual sport/trail riding tank. For hardcore mx racing the shortish cut-outs would be a bit of a hassel, but so would everthing else about the bike. Folks with really long legs might find it a bit wide as well - for reference I'm 5'10" and usually wear pants with a 32" inseam length (and they fit me properly).

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #90
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,451
I just joined the DR350 club

Found this '98, pick it up next weekend.
Name:  DR350look.jpg
Views: 5195
Size:  95.3 KB
tonymorr is online now   Reply With Quote