User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #1
SteveBroskey OP
Teach me this knowledge

Oddometer: 541
Cool2 Reviving a 1972 Yamaha DT 250

I just bought a 1972 Yamaha DT 250 three days ago. That is, I bought an old bike that didn't run for the sale, and it's now in several pieces on its way to running again. As near as I can figure it is a 1972 yamaha DT 250.

I would vastly appreciate any tips, tricks, advice, suggestions on bringing the thing back to life and tuning it up.

Currently the carb jets are soaking for a gooooood clean, and I took off the oil tank, rear fender and airbox to clean them up.

I'm wondering several specific things:
If I premix (20:1 Gas:TCW-3), will I still need to fill the oil tank for the oil injection motor? I'm not even sure the injection works, I'll have to take a look at that later - hence the plan to premix.
What's the best oil to run (for both transmission oil and injected oil), for winter riding and for summer riding? I'm going to try to do some cold riding this winter.
Hot or Cold plug for winter riding?
Where can I find a cap for the oil tank? This one is silicon'ed on. Same for headlights taillight and turnsignals. They've been cut off, except the head light, which is broken.

FYI, there's a clymer book in the mail for me; until it gets here I go on my very limited experience and the advice of those here.

Thanks in advance!
-S
P.S. There's also a thread in thumpers, but so far the only responses I've gotten have been about pics and nostalgia. No objection to either, just still seeking tips.
SteveBroskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
manxkipper
Fishpistel

Oddometer: 355
if you run premix dump the oil pump.
Transmission oil 1 litre (34 oz) of 10w-30 (pre 74 models)
Fork oil use same 10w-30
Spark plug is NGK B8es. Stock plug will be fine - if the motor has had porting and other mod work a colder no. plug may be better. For normal use stick to the std plug.
Any good quality two stroke oil is ok for the premix. You could use full synth but on that motor - probably overkill.

Cycle parts - cannot help from over here - Good luck.

The Clymer should give you all the info you need.

BTW I used to own a 350 RT1 we used to use for bush bash.
manxkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
PANTERA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Thumb

http://www.yamahaenduro.com

Forums for nothing but early Yamaha Enduros

Old 10-18-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
SteveBroskey OP
Teach me this knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTERA
http://www.yamahaenduro.com

Forums for nothing but early Yamaha Enduros

Registered, thanks Pantera (for both forums)
Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
I had one back in 1969

I still miss her

Post pics when yur done

Mine looked like this one

Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #6
Motomech
Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBroskey
I just bought a 1972 Yamaha DT 250 three days ago. That is, I bought an old bike that didn't run for the sale, and it's now in several pieces on its way to running again. As near as I can figure it is a 1972 yamaha DT 250.

I would vastly appreciate any tips, tricks, advice, suggestions on bringing the thing back to life and tuning it up.

Currently the carb jets are soaking for a gooooood clean, and I took off the oil tank, rear fender and airbox to clean them up.

Make sure that you ck. to make sure that the low-speed circuit in the carb body is free and clear. Basicly, there are three entry/exit holes, the boss where the low-speed jet screws in, the boss where the low-speed mixture screw screws in and a very sm. hole in the inside of the spicot(manifold side) of the carb body. Plug one hole with a scribe and try to pass carb cleaner/compressed air though the passageway. You need to see/hear the cleaner/air come out the remaining un-plugged hole. Repeate for every possible combination.

I'm wondering several specific things:
If I premix (20:1 Gas:TCW-3), will I still need to fill the oil tank for the oil injection motor? I'm not even sure the injection works, I'll have to take a look at that later - hence the plan to premix.

Pre-mix at 40 to 1 to test for output of the injection pump. If it works, I would recommend that you use it.

What's the best oil to run (for both transmission oil and injected oil), for winter riding and for summer riding?

That's a matter of opinion. I like Bel-Ray. At any rate, stay with a dyno(non synthetic)oil. Put cheap car oil in the tranny until the bike is drivable and then change it out to a Gear oil.

I'm going to try to do some cold riding this winter.
Hot or Cold plug for winter riding?

Use the recommended plug, you do not need to change ranges. Only Japanese plugs(ND or NGK).

Where can I find a cap for the oil tank? This one is silicon'ed on. Same for headlights taillight and turnsignals. They've been cut off, except the head light, which is broken.

Don't know.

FYI, there's a clymer book in the mail for me; until it gets here I go on my very limited experience and the advice of those here.

Thanks in advance!
-S
P.S. There's also a thread in thumpers, but so far the only responses I've gotten have been about pics and nostalgia. No objection to either, just still seeking tips.
Motomech
'96 KTM 300EXC
Playas del Locos

"The BMW Airheads, riding yesterday's technology the day after tomorrow".
Motomech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
El Hombre
Banned

Oddometer: 1,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
I still miss her

Post pics when yur done

Mine looked like this one

1969 DT1-b? First bike.
El Hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #8
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Id like to find a cherry 250 or 360 enduro.

Pay great attention to timing. It was critical on the older DTs, and all 2 strokes pre digital ignition. In fact, if you are going to keep this bike and restore it I'd look for a Boyer Brandson electronic ignition for it and be very happy. Also, I'd buy a new psiton, rings, small end bearing, gasket kit and do a total top end job on it and clean up the ports while you have it apart. Also, get all new cables. Now on the autolube, just because he has sealed the tank with a glued on cap leads me to beleive the oil pump was inoperatable, or he beleived the lie about old Yamahas being more powerful using premix. Under the right fromn sidecase, which is shaped like a U the oil pump is supposed to reside. If you look under there and there is a block off plate, or if there are no lines going in the top of that hole, the pump is not working. I'd reinstall the pump, and rebuild the one there if it is there and get a new oil cap because the Yamaha Autolube was very reliable and premixing is a joke on a street legal bike! Also, on a DT that old you may have crank seal problems...Id change out the seals too.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
road2blue
road2blue

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hombre
1969 DT1-b? First bike.
Nope...I had one just like the picture. the yellow/gold tank with the white pin stripe a 1971 175 cc CT1-C. The '72 was a red tank and the first year of the reed valve.
road2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
road2blue
road2blue

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVENTUREBIKER11
Nope...I had one just like the picture. the yellow/gold tank with the white pin stripe a 1971 175 cc CT1-C. The '72 was a red tank and the first year of the reed valve.
on yeah...my uncle had an early DT 1 250cc...it was white....either 70 or 71. I also had a '71 RT1-B....black tank with with red pinstrip.....360CC.
road2blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #11
SteveBroskey OP
Teach me this knowledge

Quote:
According to all the specs I've found online, the '72 was only offered as a "golden orange" - could be wrong, but at least three sources have confirmed that.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:37 PM   #12
SteveBroskey OP
Teach me this knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Id like to find a cherry 250 or 360 enduro.

Pay great attention to timing. It was critical on the older DTs, and all 2 strokes pre digital ignition. In fact, if you are going to keep this bike and restore it I'd look for a Boyer Brandson electronic ignition for it and be very happy. Also, I'd buy a new psiton, rings, small end bearing, gasket kit and do a total top end job on it and clean up the ports while you have it apart. Also, get all new cables. Now on the autolube, just because he has sealed the tank with a glued on cap leads me to beleive the oil pump was inoperatable, or he beleived the lie about old Yamahas being more powerful using premix. Under the right fromn sidecase, which is shaped like a U the oil pump is supposed to reside. If you look under there and there is a block off plate, or if there are no lines going in the top of that hole, the pump is not working. I'd reinstall the pump, and rebuild the one there if it is there and get a new oil cap because the Yamaha Autolube was very reliable and premixing is a joke on a street legal bike! Also, on a DT that old you may have crank seal problems...Id change out the seals too.
Hm - Thanks Sniper, I'll remember about the timing, gotta learn how to do it sooner or later, and keep in mind about the electric ignition - though I've not yet owned a kickstart and think I'll tool around with it for a while.
As far as the piston/rings/gasket goes, I don't know of any place that has stuff for something this old, can you give me any suggestions?

Not at the bike right now, but from what I can recall, there are a few broken lines assorted places on the crankcase.

New cables? ASAP.

Thanks!
-S
Old 10-19-2006, 02:34 PM   #13
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
The seals and gaskets and pretty much all parts are still available. Try that link above and also AHRMAs website for other old DT owners. I hear it is the BEST time since they were new to own a vintage 2 stroke! I love them and am allways on the look out for another one.

http://www.ahrma.org/
Old 10-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:
on yeah...my uncle had an early DT 1 250cc...it was white....either 70 or 71. I also had a '71 RT1-B....black tank with with red pinstrip.....360CC.

Mine was a 68' or 69' , (I forget which) gold/w white pin stripes. When I would take the headlight off and turn the mounting "ears" in and take the tail light off to run in the desert I felt like I was a way cool desert racer

I knew nut'n about jet'n and the beast would gives me fits at altitude. It was the first bike I rebuilt. I did it in a spare bedroom in my place on the University campus. Needless to say, they did not know
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:17 PM   #15
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
I had a 68 DT-1 - white tank - handling was not its forte. It was my second bike after my 66 Honda 305 Scrambler. My friends used to like to ride behind me because of all of the creative ways I found to fall off the DT-1 - a source of great amusement to my riding buddies. Then I bought a 72 Ossa Pioneer and stopped falling down so much (plus got a lot faster),
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote