User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #1
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
TE610 Springs

If you changed springs, tell me what you went to and your weight.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
If you changed springs, tell me what you went to and your weight.
Countdown,

I'm curious. At 175 lbs both front and back seem oversprung and a bit harsh to me. Particularly the forks. Are you feeling the same with yours. The dealer didn't offer any assistance in regards to making adjustments, so I am anxious to follow any threads that offer advice for improving the ride at my weight. Other than springs themselves, any info regarding the adjustments available would be very helpful to me. Thanks for starting the thread. I hope some good info turns up here soon.

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
On the shock the stock setting is -18 clicks. Fully open is -20 or -21. Try fully open. Balance the compression by adjusting the rebound damping, I increased the rebound damping by 2 or 3 clicks. The rebound screw on mine was hard to get to in that it pointed to chain side so I removed the bolts on dogbones and shock to turn in out to opposite side.
I set the fork up similarly with less compression by a few clicks and more rebound damping. It is much less harsh now but I haven't had a chance to test it on the trail...only two guys have changed springs that I know of, one wieghing around 220lbs went with a 5.6 and another around 250lbs went with 6.0

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroute
Countdown,

I'm curious. At 175 lbs both front and back seem oversprung and a bit harsh to me. Particularly the forks. Are you feeling the same with yours. The dealer didn't offer any assistance in regards to making adjustments, so I am anxious to follow any threads that offer advice for improving the ride at my weight. Other than springs themselves, any info regarding the adjustments available would be very helpful to me. Thanks for starting the thread. I hope some good info turns up here soon.
I am 10-15 lbs more and my rear is too stiff. My additional weight only sags bike 1" so static sag is set at 3" to get 4" riding sag. A friend went to lighter front springs to reduce push but lowering tripple clanps would have probably done the same.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

The shocks need some time to break in as well, iirc my bike settled a bit after they broke in and I had to raise the rear...
Old 10-20-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Kouba Link

Picked up a "fits all late Husky 4-strokes" Kouba link. It does not fit the TE610, too long, shock hits swing arm. Norm at Kouba says he will get one out for this bike in late spring.

Countdown screwed with this post 03-26-2008 at 05:47 PM
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #7
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,419
I'm guessing that at 225lbs, I'm heavier than what the default springs are designed for, but for some reason haven't felt the need to change anything. If anything, it's too stiff as is. Sucks not having preload adjusters. Like you say, I guess it will break in over time. Only have 1000-miles or so right now.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:22 PM   #8
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Spring Info

Talked to Ray at cycle-analyst.com and he was telling me that he sells a 5.3 spring that would make a real difference in softening up the back. Has anyone tried this? I weight 175 lbs. As far as the front goes, the Infinity subtanks look like an interesting, albeit expensive solution.

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
sethro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
also make sure the front forks are not binding, my tourqe was to tight on thr triple clamps, installed lighter oil, and front axel is a possable problem, my dealer tightened it wrong, put all this together and my forks were harsh too, I weigh 170 and this bike handles real good now that I did all these things.

Sethro
sethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:52 PM   #10
2wheelr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
I set the forks at min. compression and near max. rebound and it made them alot less harsh. On the rear I set the shock to min. comp. and also min. rebound. Seems counter intuitive but it made the rear alot less harsh. I weigh 185 and like it now, much more plush.
2wheelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 06:08 AM   #11
Xfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Xfool here: Studying the internet has helped me learn the difference between free sag and race sag.
Here is a data point: 6’4”, 220 lbs, 240lbs w/gear.

Fork:
Free sag: Can’t tell
Race sag: 2.12”, 18% with 0.6” preload.

Modified fork spacer: Cut the fork preload spacers for 0.2” preload.
Free sag: Can’t tell
Race sag: 2.52”, 21% of travel.
Waiting for the IMS tank before I do any more mods on the fork.

Stock spring: 6.4 Kg/cm, 60.2 mm ID, 250 mm free length.
Free sag: 0.75” 7%
Race sag: 4.0” 35%

For the typical rule of thumb: 6-10% free sag, 30-33% race sag the stock spring is just barely on the soft side for my weight. If the preload was increased to get the race sag at 33% the free sag would be 5%.

With the stock spring, rear weight shift on hill climbs would compress the rear shock onto the bump stop. The weight shift may be exaggerated by my height. Rear shock hits bump stop after 8.1” of travel. Climbing hills with the rear suspension on the bump stop was less than optimum. I wanted a stiffer spring.

Modified shock spring: KTM 7.2 Kg/cm, 64 mm ID, 250 mm free length. Spring ID is 1/8” to big so it doesn’t exactly fit the husky shock.
Free sag: 0.9” 8%
Race sag: 3.9” 34%

Rear suspension still pounds bump stop but a couple of clicks on the high speed compression seems to cover that up. If you are 240 and shopping for a spring you may want to go slightly stiffer but I am pretty happy right now.

IMO stock spring is set up for a 210-220 lb rider. While all of you fly weights are complaining about the spring being to stiff, I want to applaud husky for setting up the bike for the typical weight of an American rider……OK overweight rider.
Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #12
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfool

IMO stock spring is set up for a 210-220 lb rider. While all of you fly weights are complaining about the spring being to stiff, I want to applaud husky for setting up the bike for the typical weight of an American rider……OK overweight rider.
I think you are probably close on the stock weight even though Steve and Ray both suggest the wieght could even be higher. At this point I like the bikes handling on the road and hopefully by next summer will be riding faster offroad, attempting to push the shocks limits more...also I plan on doing some extended camping with a good bit of gear and I am assuming I won't be overloading the springs. I weigh 175 before armor and gear...

Dan

P.S. I am wondering what a rear spring range in wieght is, considering we ride loaded and unloaded? Where in the range should we shoot for when sizing a spring, considering we can adjust the preload towards the range's end???

Old 11-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #13
Xfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Camping gear

I think the bike should be set up for your weight and riding gear (camel back etc). When carrying a bunch of extra gear you usually aren’t hauling Ä and a preload adjustment would set the bike up pretty close IMO. But lets hear from someone with experience.........
Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
Countdown OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lowered 2"

I had ESP lower my bike about 2". With the less travel, he left the springs stock. Only rode 100 miles on flat but rocky roads. Front end is infinately better on the high speed small stuff. The rear seams a little harsh but could need more break-in. Also a better seat may make the shock seam a lot better.

Bike turns much easier with lower CG.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Husky TE610 forks respring/revalve – what a difference!

Forks on my ’07 TE610 were too stiff for me (175 lb with gear), and hadn’t loosened up much after 1800 miles. (triple clamp bolts were correctly torqued):

Sag with rider was only 2.25” raising the front and slowing steering (I lowered the triples ½” to partially compensate).
Max travel was only apx. 7”, so I was giving up ~5” of suspension.
The ride was very harsh on rocks and sharp edges. No success adjusting comp and rebound.

Shock and spring were fine – set preload to get 3.5” rider sag, comp and rebound seemed OK.

Took the forks in to Fineline Suspension in Huntington Beach, Calif.
Jason Hess changed the springs from 0.50 to 0.47 kg/mm, replaced the 7.5 wt oil with 5 wt, and revalved them.

WOW! What a difference - it’s like a new bike!

Front sag increased to 3.3” and the lower front end dramatically improves turn in. (FYI, I have the IMS 4.3 gal tank.)
The ride is much plusher, not so punishing on the dirt. Max travel so far is 10.5”, so I’ll try backing off on the compression damping a bit to try to find the last 1.5”.
Despite the softer ride the bike is more stable and handles better at high speeds on the freeway and feels more “planted” in the twisties.

Not sure what Husky and Marzocchi were thinking, but I'm a happier camper now.
levity is offline   Reply With Quote