User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
Lee Dodge OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
BMW Heated Vest?

I did a search on google and here and haven't come up with a review. Anyone have one of the BMW vests made with the carbon cloth? How is the heat compared to a conventional vest with heating wires? And yes I know a full heated liner with sleeves is probably better but I'm just looking for something to keep hypothermia at bay.
Lee Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
BlackHoof
REMF

Oddometer: 244
Vest

I saw one at a BMW dealership & decided to forgo the extra $100 expense.
They must be good if they have the logo, right???

My 'stich vest works fine for me. I'm just sayin'.
BlackHoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:47 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
The one advantage of the BMW vest is that it's power consumption is less than 5 amps, which is the cap on the 12GS's accessory socket. Anything else exceeds the 5 amp rating and won't work, unless you rewire the accessory socket directly to the battery, or hook up the heated gear direct.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #4
apopj
MotoCamper

Oddometer: 15
BMW Vest

I bought one of the BMW vests and found it was several models old. I took it back and got a current one. The dealer said he didn't know there were any of the old models still on the shelf. Two days later I went back for some oil and they had put the old version back on the shelf for someone else to buy. Check before you buy...
Also, they should be snug. Don't let the dealer sell you one that is sort of loose. It should be snug to get the full effect of the heat. Mine is an XL and should have gotten a L..... I need to cinch up my jacket to put the heat against my body.
But, it is wonderful in the cold......
apopj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
CASTIRON
Solid, heavy, lo-tech.

Oddometer: 661
My late model Airvantage 'Stitch vest pulls ~3.5 amps. I run that AND a gadget or two with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
The one advantage of the BMW vest is that it's power consumption is less than 5 amps, which is the cap on the 12GS's accessory socket. Anything else exceeds the 5 amp rating and won't work, unless you rewire the accessory socket directly to the battery, or hook up the heated gear direct.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #6
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
If you are talking about the vest with the silver cloth on the outside and the controller about the size of a Kiwi fruit then I can talk about it. I have had mine for a couple of years.

It is OK but there are some serious issues with quality control on the cords and a bad design flaw with the plug location on the vest. I am on my 4th cord. The jacket to cord plug is the problem.

The plug attaches to the vest horizontally on the inside of the vest. What that means is that the cord has to make a turn downward to get back to the outside of the clothing.... this puts excessive strain on the cord plug at the cord side of the cord to vest plug. Eventually your cord will short inside the cord to vest plug on the cord side. That is the design flaw. New cords are just under $50.00 US with tax.

Unfortunately the supplier BMW used for the US cords was both incompetent and dishonest. They cut the outer cord jacket too far back from the plug so that the plug gave insufficient support for what was already a marginal strain relief. Further, they actually unscrewed the plug support part way so that a visual inspection would not reveal their error in cutting back the cord sheath.

My last cord lasted for one riding season. I ordered a new one from Cliff's BMW in Danbury and it is supposed to be in tomorrow. So, I don't know if the problem still exists.

Thermal performance is just OK with the spec being somewhere in the 36 watt area. I would really like to have heat for my neck for the really cold long trips at high speeds.

My vest is too large and would work better if it fit tightly. My solution to that problem when it is really cold is to wear my BMW Air-Vantage vest over it... when I inflate that it presses the electric tightly against my body.

So why do I keep spending the money on the cords? Because I find the vest to be useful. It is light, packs small and looks good (even old guys can be vain!) and works to take the chill off on rides when the temp is under 60 F. I end up wearing it a lot. It keeps me warm and reasonably happy.

For the hard core stuff I am looking at Gerbing and WarmandSafe.

I wish they would redesign the cord. Failing that I would love to find a source for the cord to vest plug so I could make my own cord.
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #7
Tman
Crashes add farkle

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Is this statement true for a 1200GS if you get the version 7 SW update?
Come on G-boy. Share your wisdom and make it to 15000 posts.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:46 AM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
I don't know which version of the software update I have on mine, but I did get a dealer service in August, so maybe it's 7.0 At any rate, my Gerbing heated jacket trips off the accessory socket and I have mine wired to an SAE outlet attached to the bike, which has an inline fuse to the battery, it's rated at 15 amps and I also plug in my Cycle Pump there too:

www.manicsalamander.com

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:29 AM   #9
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,876
I like the standard BMW vest...

...The Blue/Black - $150 one with the collar. Have no experience with the carbon cloth version.

Got one last year and have never wanted for any other electrics. Keeps me warm into the teens. I'm very happy with it on the 12GS and have had zero problems relating to the canbus system. In fact, I'm about to install a BMW outlet on my KLR for this winter just to use this vest.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:13 PM   #10
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
I picked up my new replacement cord this afternoon at Cliff's and it looks like BMW has solved the quality control problems with the vest end cord plug. It appears to have sufficient sheathing to extend well into the plug and the plug itself is not easily disassembled. The last couple were just finger tight. Finally, the packaging identifies this cord as being made in Germany. From memory the previous cords were not made in Germany. The cord even seems to be a little stiffer towards the vest plug end, so perhaps they have solved the problem or at least taken steps to address the concerns I mentioned.

For those who would be interested in seeing some pictures of the defective cords here is a link to my homepage photos:

http://homepage.mac.com/jackbunce/PhotoAlbum1.html

The pictures are under Connector, Connector 2, and 2nd Connector links at the top of the page.
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:31 PM   #11
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
I don't know which version of the software update I have on mine, but I did get a dealer service in August, so maybe it's 7.0 At any rate, my Gerbing heated jacket trips off the accessory socket and I have mine wired to an SAE outlet attached to the bike, which has an inline fuse to the battery, it's rated at 15 amps and I also plug in my Cycle Pump there too:

www.manicsalamander.com

I was looking at this item in the Aerostich catalog as a nice option for plugging in a heated vest or other stuff. I'm on the hunt for a heated vest or jacket. Trying to do as much research as possible before I start asking questions. I'm really interested in the Aerostich stuff. I use the Darien gear almost exclusively. Good stuff!
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #12
zuit
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Heated Vest / electric underwear

but I want something thin, I don't want the heated liner to provide additional padding, wind protection, etc. I simply want it to provide heat. I have a jacket for wind / water protection and need something extremely thin and hot. Ideas?

From the looks of it, the price at $119.00 is unbeatable and its BMW so it should work.. but again, it's not thin or fitting enough.

http://shopping.brownmotorworks.net/bmw_heated_vest.asp

-Brian
zuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #13
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuit
but I want something thin, I don't want the heated liner to provide additional padding, wind protection, etc. I simply want it to provide heat. I have a jacket for wind / water protection and need something extremely thin and hot. Ideas?

From the looks of it, the price at $119.00 is unbeatable and its BMW so it should work.. but again, it's not thin or fitting enough.

http://shopping.brownmotorworks.net/bmw_heated_vest.asp

-Brian
Hi,

Warm N Safe Generation 2 heated liner,or get the Gen 3 if you want some insulation:
http://www.warmnsafe.com/order_form_...liner_gen2.php

If you can find a Widder vest available,they are fairly thin and form fitting,they retired their business as of 12/31/08 but new ones can still be found at some dealerships or on Fleabay.

JR356
JR356 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
Giuseppe
Medium-Viz

Oddometer: 469
I had the same plug problems as AugustFalcon. I'm only on my second cord, though. The vest itself is excellent. I wear it under a Satiago jacket with the BMW liner and it'll keep me warm down to about 32 degrees F. If the vest is snug, on the high setting, it'll just about burn your nipples off through a thin shirt!

FWIW, the vest drew enough power to shut down the underseat plug on my 2005 12GS. That only started after the first software "upgrade" a few years back. I'm not sure if subsequent programming chnges have solved that problem or not. I just used a Powerlet kit and wired my plug direct to the battery. Powers the vest just fine and I can charge my bike!
Giuseppe is offline   Reply With Quote