Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #121
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denase View Post
OK I ordered the parts from BikeBandit. A cruise control spool and return spring for a 2008 1200RT. All of 13.00 including shipping. When you connect the Rostra using the VSS signal only, not using the tach signal. Does the RPM over rev protection feature still work? Or is the tach wire required for that feature?

Thanks
You're going to need an RT Bowden Box Cover to work with the CC spool; the GS cover doesn't have the right feature internally to mate up with the RT spool.

To get the over rev protection you're going to need to tap into one of the coil signals.
rdcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM   #122
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denase View Post
I am a little confused about the location of the blue green vss wire? One post says it is under the beak, another says under the tank. Is that wire run through both locations?

Thanks
On the 04-07's its under the tank. On the 08 and up it's taped to the fairing support just behind the oil cooler.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #123
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Kaw View Post
Yep...I used the stock CC cable wheel for a 1200RT, return spring, and lid. They all install perfectly to the 1200GS bowden box. I had to drill a 1/4' hole in the right side of the bowden bow where the RT cruise cable would normally go. Then I used a bicycle cable to a slack tube I built from 1" PVC. In the slack tube I attached the bicycle cable to the Rostra servo cable with a ball chain.

I can post photo's if needed.

The cool thing was no serious surgery require to the bowden box (since the RT Box is essentially identical) and a useable VSS signal is readily available on the GS since it is wired almost identically to the RT...that has a factory cruise.
Good stuff. You didn't really need to add the slack tube to the cable as the RT cruise spool is isolated from the throttle spool by a pin/slot mechanism. As long as you use the RT cruise spool spring, the Rostra cruise cable is not going to go slack inside the box.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #124
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post

4. The three pin plug under the beak contains a VSS signal. The blue w/green stripe works on the Rostra Cruise with the 6400 pulses per mile setting.

Presumably the pull up resistor mentioned above is required in step 4.
This is great information for those of you doing the install on 09's and earlier bikes. Unfortunately Motorrad deleted the VSS signal on the 10's and up bikes since the NavIV GPS doesn't use it and nobody would EVER use an earlier model GPS on a new bike. Naturally, I now have a 10. DAMMIT!
Old 10-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #125
Denase
Denase

Oddometer: 26
Thanks rdcyclist

Good information, I will add the cover to my order. Stinks about the VSS delete, but can the source of the VSS signal on the 09's and later be traced? Maybe tap into where the VSS wire gets its signal?
Denase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #126
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcyclist View Post

On the 04-07's its under the tank. On the 08 and up it's taped to the fairing support just behind the oil cooler.
Quote:

This is great information for those of you doing the install on 09's and earlier bikes. Unfortunately Motorrad deleted the VSS signal on the 10's and up bikes since the NavIV GPS doesn't use it...
The VSS signal isn't brought out of the harness to a connector? Or, there's no separate VSS signal within the electrical system? Do you know if either of those is correct?

It might be true that there's no separate VSS signal. A discrete VSS signal isn't necessary for normal bike operation because the instantaneous vehicle speed data is transmitted to the instrument cluster on the CANbus.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:27 PM   #127
Poolside
Syndicated

The VSS signal might still be available

Typically, the instantaneous vehicle speed is calculated by the ABS controller using one of the wheel speed signal rings.

At that point, and within the ABS controller, the speed 'value' is placed in a data packet and sent to the instrument cluster on the CANbus. That's how the instrument cluster receives speedometer gauge information. Another example of that is the ECU sending RPM data to the instrument cluster on the CANbus.

In addition to the above, the ZFE controller constructs a VSS signal for use by the GPS. Though Rdcyclist says that possibly the VSS signal is no longer available in the harness. But there is still hope.

Even if there is no longer a VSS wire in the harness, the ZFE controller might continue to create the VSS signal, and still provide that signal to the same pin on the ZFE controller connector.

EDIT: For 2010 and later bikes without the blue/green VSS signal wire. From the schematics, the blue/green wire carrying the VSS signal comes from pin 42 on the ZFE module. So even if the blue/green wire is deleted from the harness on the 2010 and later bikes, the VSS signal might still appear on pin 42 of the ZFE controller.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 05:48 PM Reason: Corrections concerning the source of the VSS signal
Old 10-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #128
Mad Kaw
purveyor of fine BS

Oddometer: 42
Sorry I haven't replied...been on a dual sport ride in the Ozarks.

Denase - You don't have to buy an RT cover. Just trim your GS cover at the "step" on the spool. This is what I did and it worked fine.

rdcyclist - of Motoradd deleted the VSS then what feeds the speedometer a signal since there is no speedo gear and cable like on the 1150?

I am about to install another of these on a friend 2006. I will take more/better detailed photos and do a complete documentation posting it here. Of course like RD says it the VSS portion may not apply to 2010 and later models.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #129
dede
Lefty

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Good stuff. You didn't really need to add the slack tube to the cable as the RT cruise spool is isolated from the throttle spool by a pin/slot mechanism. As long as you use the RT cruise spool spring, the Rostra cruise cable is not going to go slack inside the box.
I think he used that as easy way to adjust and get the cable both extended and the length he wanted, more about the chain than slack.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #130
Mad Kaw
purveyor of fine BS

Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #131
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:

rdcyclist - of Motoradd deleted the VSS then what feeds the speedometer a signal since there is no speedo gear and cable like on the 1150?
On a bike without ABS, the signal from a speed sensor is connected to the ZFE controller instead of the ABS controller. At that point the ZFE controller converts the signal to a data packet and sends it to the instrument cluster on the CANbus.

Quote:

I am about to install another of these on a friend 2006. Of course like RD says it the VSS portion may not apply to 2010 and later models.
From the schematics, the blue/green wire carrying the VSS signal comes from pin 42 on the ZFE module. So even if the blue/green wire is deleted from the harness on the 2010 and later bikes, the VSS signal might still appear on pin 42 of the ZFE controller.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #132
Mad Kaw
purveyor of fine BS

Quote:
On a bike without ABS, the signal from a speed sensor is connected to the ZFE controller instead of the ABS controller. At that point the ZFE controller converts the signal to a data packet and sends it to the instrument cluster on the CANbus.

From the schematics, the blue/green wire carrying the VSS signal comes from pin 42 on the ZFE module. So even if the blue/green wire is deleted from the harness on the 2010 and later bikes, the VSS signal might still appear on pin 42 of the ZFE controller.

THANKS! And great idea...we'll try to chase it down because after we install one on Bohn's 2006...we will attempt to do same on Jay's 2011 GSA.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #133
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Thumb Pics

And do not forget a pictorial, pretty please
Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #134
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
In addition to the above, the ZFE controller constructs a VSS signal for use by the GPS. Though Rdcyclist says that possibly the VSS signal is no longer available in the harness. But there is still hope.

Even if there is no longer a VSS wire in the harness, the ZFE controller might continue to create the VSS signal, and still provide that signal to the same pin on the ZFE controller connector.

EDIT: For 2010 and later bikes without the blue/green VSS signal wire. From the schematics, the blue/green wire carrying the VSS signal comes from pin 42 on the ZFE module. So even if the blue/green wire is deleted from the harness on the 2010 and later bikes, the VSS signal might still appear on pin 42 of the ZFE controller.
Thank you for that Poolside. I'll check into that pin and see if it gives a usable VSS. I imagine the previously mentioned pull up resistor network will be needed to make it work with the Rostra.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #135
rdcyclist
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
They only deleted the VSS signal at the GPS interface. Apparently the Nav4 doesn't use the VSS for dead reckoning like the previous Nav 1 through 3. I'll be seein' 'bout the signal at Pin 42 at the ZFE shortly.