ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
Dags OP
I'm not British

Oddometer: 1,240
Georgia dual sport rides

Hi
New to dual sport riding in Georgia. What is a good resource for dual sport ride maps/scroll maps.
Dags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dags
Hi
New to dual sport riding in Georgia. What is a good resource for dual sport ride maps/scroll maps.
Hi Dags, welcome. What type of dual sporintg are you looking to do? Mostly dirt stuff? Technical? I know some good riding. What part of GA are you in?
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Dags OP
I'm not British

Oddometer: 1,240
I'm living in downtown Atlanta opposite turner field but I ride up to north Georgia on Hwy 9 through Dawsonville. I'm looking for a varity of rides. Often I ride with the wife, both on Klr650s. But when the wife is not riding I'm interesting in learning more technical stuff
Dags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Welcome. You will want to purchase a Chattahoochee National Forest map from the USFS, it can be obtained online or at one of their offices - they have a number of offices in North Georgia, including one in Dahlonega. There are great forest service roads up there to ride, some are very easy, others a bit more technical, but they are all fun!
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #5
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
Welcome. You will want to purchase a Chattahoochee National Forest map from the USFS, it can be obtained online or at one of their offices - they have a number of offices in North Georgia, including one in Dahlonega. There are great forest service roads up there to ride, some are very easy, others a bit more technical, but they are all fun!

Hi Dan! How ya been?

I agree, that map is worth its weight in gold.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
Quote:

Will more than likely have to get the map online. I checked in Dahlonega and unless you want to go to cleveland or gainsville, you can't get them according to the lady at the desk. Bluebye stopped in somewhere to try and pick one up and was told the same thing.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:26 PM   #7
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,281
Welcome Dags, You can get the maps at Dales BP station. Corner of HWY 60 and 180. Or you can save the cash and hook up with yours truly. I will be glad to show you around.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 02:37 PM   #8
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Welcome Dags, You can get the maps at Dales BP station. Corner of HWY 60 and 180. Or you can save the cash and hook up with yours truly. I will be glad to show you around.
Mike here DEFINITELY knows the roads to take.

Mike, how is the 950 working out for you? Taken it off road yet?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:45 PM   #9
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Mike here DEFINITELY knows the roads to take.

Mike, how is the 950 working out for you? Taken it off road yet?
She is a lot better on the freeway to work. I haven't had a chance. Trying to work all I can to get the LC4 fixed. I don't really want to tear up the 950 doing the kind of riding I like to do. I also can't afford to fix it if I tear it up. She is my SUV if you will. You know family ride.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #10
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
Quote:
She is a lot better on the freeway to work. I haven't had a chance. Trying to work all I can to get the LC4 fixed. I don't really want to tear up the 950 doing the kind of riding I like to do. I also can't afford to fix it if I tear it up. She is my SUV if you will. You know family ride.

I bet you can't wheelie it.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #11
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Hi Dan! How ya been?

I agree, that map is worth its weight in gold.
Hi right back to ya, Mark. I have been doing great - just put some protapers, handguards and K270s on the DR. I'm halfway thru installing heated grips and then I'm putting on a skid plate. Been riding a lot of dirt with Richard - we should all get together and ride soon.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:47 PM   #12
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth
I bet you can't wheelie it.
After hearing how much it cost Vance I quit.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #13
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi right back to ya, Mark. I have been doing great - just put some protapers, handguards and K270s on the DR. I'm halfway thru installing heated grips and then I'm putting on a skid plate. Been riding a lot of dirt with Richard - we should all get together and ride soon.
Yea thats a good idea Soboy.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:50 PM   #14
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Yea thats a good idea Soboy.
No kiddin', I'd like to meet some new faces and get some dirt in soon also. I need to get another rear tire on order so nothing for me this weekend.

Let's all get together soon though.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #15
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Maybe it is time I have another ride gather at my place. Maybe it won't be the 'fiasco' it was last time. I'll organize it better. The thing that killed it last time was all the lurkers that showed up w/o notice. Made it hard to keep 20 or so riders together.