Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2007, 11:18 AM   #46
PaleHearse
Road Ranger

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomiles
Thanks, Jon...

Got the Pucks and they look great. This is such a simple but brilliant idea! Very nice piece to spread the tightening force evenly.

I wonder how long before Touratech knocks off your slick idea idea?

Will try taking pics at some point and post them.

~Barry
Actually they kind of did already. I find it strange that some of the best ideas that the TT folks have and use in their touring get very little press and are quite hard to find in their catalog. TT makes a case stiffener that bolts on. This bag stiffener actually spans the entire distance (and is about the same thickness as the puck) between the bolt holes from the front puck, to the bolt holes to the back puck. This was designed to help keep the panner on the bike if it's bashed front on by a rock. It keeps the top of the box from deforming. I'll try and snap a photo or 2 and add it here.
PaleHearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #47
GPS_Jon OP
The Global Pucker

Oddometer: 228
I would STILL use my pucks EVEN with the stiffener (TT Part No. 01-053-0031-0 ). The two strips and longer screws cost 24.62 EUR - aprox $33 US

Once again TT uses the wave washer under the hand nut focusing the tightening force there. My pucks distribute the clamping force over the ENTIRE mating surfaces of the hand nut and bag. My pucks add a mating surface that, like nylon, gives a smooth secure clamping feel (not metal to metal).

I've enclosed a pic of the stiffener strip. It is just more metal along the top. Notice the hand nuts STILL stand off of the strip creating a weak flex point. The TT strip added inside is for the heavy loader who fills up the bag so much they droop. My Pucks are an improvement, not a bandaid (which I think the TT strip is).

BTW: I would think that to truly stiffen the top - the metal should be on the outside too (actualy a plate covering all four corners + frame). If the bike is dropped, the bag hits the ground and the top area gets pushed toward the seat. If the metal was on the exterior there would be much more strength (but this is aluminum and its going to bend anyway).

Those that have bought the Pucks from me see the difference in mounting the bags immediatly. The top mount firms up and the flex disappears. I believe they are a quality product that makes users happier with their panniers.

Best regards,

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHearse
Actually they kind of did already. I find it strange that some of the best ideas that the TT folks have and use in their touring get very little press and are quite hard to find in their catalog. TT makes a case stiffener that bolts on. This bag stiffener actually spans the entire distance (and is about the same thickness as the puck) between the bolt holes from the front puck, to the bolt holes to the back puck. This was designed to help keep the panner on the bike if it's bashed front on by a rock. It keeps the top of the box from deforming. I'll try and snap a photo or 2 and add it here.

GPS_Jon screwed with this post 11-24-2008 at 10:16 AM
GPS_Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:06 PM   #48
PaleHearse
Road Ranger

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPS_Jon
I would STILL use my pucks EVEN with the stiffener (TT Part No. 01-053-0031-0 ). The two strips and longer screws cost 24.62 EUR - aprox $33 US

Once again TT uses the wave washer under the hand nut focusing the tightening force there. My pucks distribute the clamping force over the ENTIRE mating surfaces of the hand nut and bag. My pucks add a mating surface that, like nylon, gives a smooth secure clamping feel (not metal to metal).

I've enclosed a pic of the stiffener strip. It is just more metal along the top. Notice the hand nuts STILL stand off of the strip creating a weak flex point. The TT strip added inside is for the heavy loader who fills up the bag so much they droop. My Pucks are an improvement, not a bandaid (which I think the TT strip is).

BTW: I would think that to truly stiffen the top - the metal should be on the outside too (actualy a plate covering all four corners + frame). If the bike is dropped, the bag hits the ground and the top area gets pushed toward the seat. If the metal was on the exterior there would be much more strength (but this is aluminum and its going to bend anyway).

Those that have bought the Pucks from me see the difference in mounting the bags immediatly. The top mount firms up and the flex disappears. I believe they are a quality product that makes users happier with their panniers.

Best regards,

Jon
Cool.. and quite right. I just had a quick look at mine and do like the idea of having the full outer ring come to rest. It's been quite a while since I had installed my stiffeners and for some reason I thought the washer was no longer used and that the disk sat against the stiffener.. but your quite correct... looks like I'll be ordering a set of your speedy black ones.
PaleHearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #49
GPS_Jon OP
The Global Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHearse
Cool.. and quite right. I just had a quick look at mine and do like the idea of having the full outer ring come to rest. It's been quite a while since I had installed my stiffeners and for some reason I thought the washer was no longer used and that the disk sat against the stiffener.. but your quite correct... looks like I'll be ordering a set of your speedy black ones.
Just PM me when you're ready.

I was thinking about the stiffener and my bags: I like the idea but since the seam weld on my pannier (and many others) runs under the hand nut (there is a posting on a previous page with a pict) I would have to mill a channel in the stiffener (the area over the seam) to make it sit flush on the bags inner wall. The stiffener could just hump over the area but then pressure would be directly on the seam and promote a crack someday (I'm not a fan of grinding the seam flat either). Fixing this isn't a problem for me, but most people don't have a mill. Of course, with my pucks (shameless plug), the material they're made of deforms and conforms to the seam when tightened up.

Since the stiffener looks like it's a special order in the US, make a set with 1/16" X 3" aluminum from a home supply store, a hack saw and a drill. The screws could be replaced with longer ones or ss machine screws, and nuts/nylocks (using existing flat washers). I think this would be a bit cheaper than TT's kit.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #50
GPS_Jon OP
The Global Pucker

Updated the ad on page two of this thread with more info.
Added links to ADVrider on my home page

GPS_Jon screwed with this post 01-24-2007 at 11:53 AM
Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 PM   #51
GPS_Jon OP
The Global Pucker

I guess I've been moved to Vendors.

My ebay add now has a link to ADVrider

Added a Buy Now button on the static page:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonladd/pucks.html

GPS_Jon screwed with this post 02-07-2007 at 03:01 PM
Old 02-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #52
BTBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Just bought a set of these, what a dam good idea and they work so well.

Congratulations Jon on the sucess of them.

Sorry, but if it hasn't got wheels, or a pair of tits and its not covered in chocolate then I'm not really that interested.....
BTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #53
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,307
Should I buy them through Ebay..or give you all the money? I'd like a set.
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #54
boney
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,385
Puck me.

Paypal sent.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:38 PM   #55
advjackass
orange crusher

Oddometer: 926
Eh?

well, hang me upside down and puck me in the mouth! my paypal acount timed out. any other payment methods?
advjackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #56
autogiro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
I've been pucked...

Jon,
Pucs arrived today and seem to fit the bill perfectly. Much easier to get the panniers tightened up.
Now for a better lock nut solution...
Thanks again!

Auto
'95 R1100GS Marrakeschrot (NLA)
autogiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:28 PM   #57
Stormforce8
Farkle Tart

Oddometer: 510
Jon

Many thanks for these - there a huge improvement over the existing fitting

Great idea, superb quality, what's next on the drawing board..........

I hope you don't mind, but I've posted on the UK XRV forum, as I know quite a few run TT panniers.

Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD07A - Rugged Roads Rallye Sport,
Honda XRV750 Africa Twin RD04 - HRC
BMW R1150GS - Graphitan
Yamaha XT600Z Tenere 3AJ - BYRD,
Aprilia Moto 6.5 - Starck Orange,
Cagiva N90 - Lucky Explorer

'Maybe I'm just simple - but can't we all just get along..........'

Stormforce8 screwed with this post 02-19-2007 at 04:59 PM
Stormforce8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:48 AM   #58
GPS_Jon OP
The Global Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormforce8
Jon

Many thanks for these - there a huge improvement over the existing fitting

Great idea, superb quality, what's next on the drawing board..........

I hope you don't mind, but I've posted on the UK XRV forum, as I know quite a few run TT panniers.
Thanks Again... I've been sending more overseas now than to the states.

GPS_Jon screwed with this post 03-05-2007 at 02:05 PM
Old 03-05-2007, 03:33 PM   #59
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Jon,

I ordered a set of your pucks on ebay a month ago or so and they have worked great. I slow crash had slightly dented the puck area in and I had a bad rattle because the puck would not tighten up all the way... your puck solved the problem!

Thanks!
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #60
GPS_Jon OP
The Global Pucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsman
Jon,

I ordered a set of your pucks on ebay a month ago or so and they have worked great. I slow crash had slightly dented the puck area in and I had a bad rattle because the puck would not tighten up all the way... your puck solved the problem!

Thanks!
I'm glad they are a hit for you.

Did you take off the clamp assembly (completely) and try to flatten back out the area damaged? Might be something to check. I'm glad my pucks could push it back and snug it up for you though but always good idea to get it straight first.

The wave washer in the middle of the original clamp system is a weak design. The metal will bend around the washer and the four screws. The fact is with a heavy loaded pannier it cannot help but flex there with that hand nut standing off. With my inserts there's now a big area to take the stress.

Jon