User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2006, 06:20 AM   #1
vstrommississippi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Question KLR countershaft seal leak

I just added a 1991 KLR650 to the stable and it seems to be leaking oil at the countershaft seal. Is there any harm in this continuing to leak until I need a new countershaft sprocket in a couple of thousand miles? Other than watching my oil level what else do I need to do?
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or it is nothing at all.
-Helen Keller

2005 DL650
1991 KLR650
IBA#26578
vstrommississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:51 AM   #2
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,267
Make absolutely sure the chain is adjusted properly with your butt on the seat (reach down and lift up on the slack side), or the rear suspension compressed with someone else's butt on the seat.

That's probably what caused this seal to begin leaking anyway, i.e., a mis-adjusted chain (too tight). If allowed to go too long, the bearing can be damaged as well, and that's a case-split job to fixit.

FWIW - the countershaft shaft bearing is pressure fed, so oil can exit a damaged seal rather quickly; keep a close eye on the oil level!!!

Good luck.

Guy
A16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstrommississippi
I just added a 1991 KLR650 to the stable and it seems to be leaking oil at the countershaft seal. Is there any harm in this continuing to leak until I need a new countershaft sprocket in a couple of thousand miles? Other than watching my oil level what else do I need to do?
Guy Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:15 PM   #3
Highbeam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Really pretty simple seal to replace. I wouldn't wait.
Highbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:36 AM   #4
vstrommississippi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Laugh

I'm not waiting, I've ordered it today so should have it in a week. Its a 5 dollar part so that's the best news I've had in a while. I'm gonna run it every day and just keep an eye on my oil level.
Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or it is nothing at all.
-Helen Keller

2005 DL650
1991 KLR650
IBA#26578
vstrommississippi is offline   Reply With Quote