User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #16
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,180
Perfect for smaller folks and ladies!

I sold this bike to my friend when I bought my DR650 and you should see her ride it! She's only been riding for 4 years, this is her first motorcycle. Wonderful machine, bombproof, low seat height, plenty of ooomph for anything she points it at. Not much good on the highway, I prefer something with more power when I'm in traffic. She's a small lady, though, and the XT225 pulls her along quite nicely.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #17
slideways
permanent ex-pat

Oddometer: 5,526
These are very popular down here. Honda XL125 Bros.

Upper Italian Lakes report.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160841

South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana ride report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454490

Great CanAm Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476605
slideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #18
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by endurotour
am keen to see other small size (lighter) adventure set ups.. no joy on a search.. as there is less of the shelf stuff tends to be some cool imagination and mod's....
here goes.. 2005 ttr250r, 23lt tank, pipes, racks, screen, cup holder etc..
Have really come to prefer the smaller bikes for touring as of late. Though I have a F650GSD and other street bikes there is nothing like a small lightweight low tech bike for backcountry travel. It does get a bit hectic in heavily populated areas but good route planning helps to minimize this problem. Have found a fairly reasonable method for "managing traffic" so I just plod along; true, no superslab for me. Happen to originally buy this bike for my daughter but she preferred the KE100 we have so I played with this one and got hooked. It has several shortcomings (chassis and no 6th in tranny) but the engine is strong and the headlight is better than many of my other bikes.

I don't have a full setup pic but I used a Wolfman "mini-beta" rear bag, this tankbag (actually a Denali from my F650), and a camelback. For next season I will be running with a pannier set because Happy Trails (www.happy-trail.com) is just now beginning to produce a billet top rack and a pannier rack (similar to the KLR offering) for the DR200SE. Mine is being built now and expect to have in two weeks. I'll post pic as soon as I fit them.

I changed my final from a 15:45 to a 15:42 (and may try a 15:40) which brought the "cruise" speed up to 42-45mph at 4500-4800rpm and results in a touch over 100mpg. With the 3.5 gal tank the range fantastic. I also carry two 1/2 liter fuel bottles (stove) which serve as an emergency reserve.

Though not a thumper a 250 that is a terrific all round street performer is the 250 Ninja. With a final change it can do superslab all day long and still deliver mileage in the 70's. In the dirt it is .....NOT.

I also feel that cross country travel on 250 or less is true ADVENTURE RIDING given all the other factors we have to deal with.

So with all this let's call for a roll call with location and see if we can put together a RAID/RALLY in 07. What do you all think?
Attached Images

steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #19
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,311
hey 125 MZ riders how do you like 'em? power? weight? handling, ?
they seem pretty cool.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #20
endurotour OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
HI all, some way cool rides... most i have not seen in Aus... bril,
Steve GS i know were your coming from on the smaller bike thing...
being a mostly solo rider i enjoy knowing i can generaly get it out of the sand, mud, bush etc if things go a little wrong, alas i have had several chances to prove my theory.. there a lot of DR's in Aus, heaps of off the shelf stuff, bring them on...
manfromthestix,,, if you have a chance and not seen it check out 'lois on the loose' currently on a ttr but her last trip was i think the same bread as your friends using..
hi dirty dave it totaly counts.. at speed i imagine it looks like the old bmw (dont me to offend)...
on the idea of a rally sounds cool.. although i might be a little late...
endurotour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #21
MaverickAus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 942
My KLX250R

Old 11-02-2006, 06:10 AM   #22
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endurotour
HI all, some way cool rides... most i have not seen in Aus... bril,
Steve GS i know were your coming from on the smaller bike thing...
being a mostly solo rider i enjoy knowing i can generaly get it out of the sand, mud, bush etc if things go a little wrong, alas i have had several chances to prove my theory.. there a lot of DR's in Aus, heaps of off the shelf stuff, bring them on...

'lois on the loose'

on the idea of a rally sounds cool.. although i might be a little late...
I am familiar with Lois's site. It's interesting about small bike riders. Many use these bikes as a transition to something bigger because of cost or size. Others seek maximum utility. For myself and having ridden for over 30 yrs I've had enough of the marketing hype and sought out the machines IMO that give me maximum self reliance (utility?) when on the road or at home in the shop.

Was almost stranded (twice) by my F650 GSD and took heed of those warnings. It was one of those leave it and walk out deals. In going to the DR200 I dropped almost 200lbs loaded and other than a wheel failure would be able to at least roll it out. Though the pace is slower on the way to, when in the backcountry I found that the pace was the same. So, why be burdened with an extra 200lbs and more complicated machinery.

It is important to separate backcountry overlanding from a backcountry blitz. One has to conduct themselves quite differently when the truck, trailer, or help is NOT nearby.

I have recently acquired a real clean low mileage DR350SE that I may use in the future as my daughter steps up to the 200. Really did not need the additional power, an extra 50 lbs, or loss of economy but did want the better chassis and 6spd transmission. The 6spd tranny gives this bike maximum flexibility. If only the DR200 had a 6th, you KLR250 riders are lucky. Just need to add a larger tank. Yeah, I know it is not a 250.

Attached Images

steve gs screwed with this post 11-02-2006 at 06:19 AM
Old 11-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #23
a16tony
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
KLK250S

a16tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:15 AM   #24
EvanMac
EvanMac

Oddometer: 54
Laugh smaller is better...

I don't get it... My little MZ125 can cruise at 55-60 in 6th gear. What else do you need? NEED is the key word. The MZ is a full size bike with a small but powerfull motor. It handles well, it was cheap, and does great on the trails. I can hit 200 miles before I hit reserve and there are no vibrations to speak of. I've ridden it 1130 mile in 3.5 days and my hands were never numb. The motor is built like a tank... some people look at it and ask me if it is a 400 or something. Most of the time when I tell them it is a 125 they just get this blank look on there face like... "Why?" We Americans are just hung up on power...

My next bike will most likely be the KLX250S. With an upgraded tank I think it will be the perfect true dual sport for me!
EvanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:08 AM   #25
LusterBroil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by a16tony
KLK250S

Holy crap is that a nice looking bike

LusterBroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #26
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
I have recently acquired a real clean low mileage DR350SE that I may use in the future as my daughter steps up to the 200. Really did not need the additional power, an extra 50 lbs, or loss of economy but did want the better chassis and 6spd transmission. The 6spd tranny gives this bike maximum flexibility. If only the DR200 had a 6th, you KLR250 riders are lucky. Just need to add a larger tank. Yeah, I know it is not a 250.

An excelent bike I'm sure you'll love it. My DR250SE looks just like that (same bike but with short stroke crank and smaller bore). The 6spd is quite nice - my 250 will happily cruse 65mph all day long with 15/42 gearing (+1 front from stock for the 250, should be stock on your bike). The economy should still be quite good. My 250 does 75mpg at 60-65mph.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #27
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,363
I'm in - KLX250S - another one. Mine is bored to 331cc though so technically I'm a little over. I just put a Keihin FCR carb on it now too and whoa it's a whole new experience:

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
'12 Beta EVO 2
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #28
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
An excelent bike I'm sure you'll love it. My DR250SE looks just like that (same bike but with short stroke crank and smaller bore). The 6spd is quite nice - my 250 will happily cruse 65mph all day long with 15/42 gearing (+1 front from stock for the 250, should be stock on your bike). The economy should still be quite good. My 250 does 75mpg at 60-65mph.
I was hooked with the first test ride. This bike has a FMF Power Core IV (too noisy for me and where I ride; have the OEM piece out to Jesse for mods), the modded airbox, and a properly rejetted carb. Don't get me wrong the F650GSD is a fine bike and as much as I like the DR200 I wanted to reduce from the weight and complexity from the 650 and upgrade the 200 by finding a small 6spd air-cooled bike with an emphasis on a better chassis than both. There seem to be more 350's around than 250's and I happen to find this one. If it would have been a DR250SE I would have been just as happy.

EvanMac..... sure you get it.

How about an 07 Raid/Rally (late summer or fall?)

Suches, Georgia

or

Ontario, WI

or

Tail of the Dragon

or

tie in with one of the ADV Rider Rallies

or

Ride There

Old 11-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #29
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,311
too bad the meatheads at suzuki dont DS the drz250, oil cooled, 6 speed, E start, so its has a decent alternator. better suspension then a XR ( or a F650, KLR650 but then what doesnt), needs a less restrictive pipe or at least cleaning up by the exaust port. plus has a wider seat then most ,
Old 11-03-2006, 09:33 AM   #30
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,758

I have this bike for sale in the local trader, but this thread has caused me to rethink that. Nothing like getting out and covering the miles on a small cc bike.
Think I'll take it for a ride today
chain is offline   Reply With Quote