Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2006, 05:05 PM   #91
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Markus
I'm interested...but my only bike is a 640 Adventure. If I get a small dispacement bike I will seriously look into this. If I don't, I may seriously consider taking my main vacation next year to the end of the Transtiaga road. It looks like the kind of trip I want to do (and Alaska is a bit out of the way, I'd have to ship the bike/fly in for that).

Thank you for that link...I am already starting to get obsessed with this.
I caught the fever compliments of the Adv Riders in The Great White North forum. Also do a search within (Ontario Riders pg 40? something)and you will find Viking's late Sept 06 ride report of this. This specific topic of being able to get to the bay by road came up originally in a thread about "how far north can you ride in Ontario".

Other than my DR200 I have several other bikes I am considering like my F650GSD, K75, DR350SE, or even my 250 Ninja. I am opting for something lightweight (300lbs empty) with perhaps the Ninja taking the lead because of it's ability to cruise at highway speeds all day long and still get mileage in the 70's-80's. I've been working on my French for the past couple weeks; check out www.french.about.com if you don't have it under your belt.

A la prochaine
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:56 PM   #92
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
KLX 250 in Action

speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #93
R.Markus
Damage Addict

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
I caught the fever compliments of the Adv Riders in The Great White North forum. Also do a search within (Ontario Riders pg 40? something)and you will find Viking's late Sept 06 ride report of this. This specific topic of being able to get to the bay by road came up originally in a thread about "how far north can you ride in Ontario".

Other than my DR200 I have several other bikes I am considering like my F650GSD, K75, DR350SE, or even my 250 Ninja. I am opting for something lightweight (300lbs empty) with perhaps the Ninja taking the lead because of it's ability to cruise at highway speeds all day long and still get mileage in the 70's-80's. I've been working on my French for the past couple weeks; check out www.french.about.com if you don't have it under your belt.

A la prochaine
Thanks for the info.

I took French in high school....so I don't know any.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #94
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Hi There,

well here's a shot of my trusty XT250 Serow, yep the new type.

I've done 26,000km's in the last 14 months and love it.

My previous bike to this was a BMW R1200GS, so the change was a bit of a culture shock, however the Serow's taken me to places that I couldn't ever consider on the Beemer.

Regards

Reggie AKA The Cameraman
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #95
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,216
Traveling man...

Clean machine, Reggie.
Shame we can't get those improved models here in the states. I would seriously consider one if they were available.
You must live on that bike with all the Kms you have put on it!
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #96
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cameraman
well here's a shot of my trusty XT250 Serow, yep the new type.

I wish we had those here, so much nicer than my XT225 and extra ponies too

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
VIVID1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #97
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Hi Driller,

I took the photo over Salter Fell, after battling through a bog to get there and the only reason she looks clean is because of the puddles along the route! I use the bike for everything, whether it be daily commuting, or a 500mile return trip to London etc. The only work has been servicing and a pair of replacement tyres. Very cheap transport.

Hi Vivid, I had to import mine from Japan and we reckon it was one of the first to be brought into the UK. It has all the original virtues of the 225 but with a more modern design, improved suspension and a bit more umph!

Regards

Reggie AKA The Cameraman
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:19 AM   #98
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
I wonder if bikes are like trucks, you can bring trucks from Japan into Canada pretty easy, then break them down into parts and bring the parts across the border into the USA. guys do this with Diesel Land cruisers. with the LCs they then use the parts and a US registered chassis, but with bikes one could bring them to a state like Tn and assemble them, then title them and TaDa street legal DS

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 05:59 AM   #99
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cameraman
Hi Vivid, I had to import mine from Japan and we reckon it was one of the first to be brought into the UK. It has all the original virtues of the 225 but with a more modern design, improved suspension and a bit more umph!
But how does one get parts for a bike that is not sold in their country?

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
Old 12-07-2006, 09:26 AM   #100
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVID1
But how does one get parts for a bike that is not sold in their country?
Every part has a part number. A dealer should be able to order any part they want...regardless of the bikes import status.

For example, I know of a fellow from England who brought his Africa Twin to the States and toured all over the US. He had to replace parts several times and had no problem ordering them from local Honda dealers.
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 10:09 AM   #101
VIVID1
Ducatistanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBiker
Every part has a part number. A dealer should be able to order any part they want...regardless of the bikes import status.
If that is so, why don't we see more bikes in the US that aren't sold in the US?

How expensive is importing a bike?

XT225 | ST3 | 954RR
Old 12-07-2006, 01:18 PM   #102
turbonotch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
I rode this bike down all sorts of gnarly trails and made it do all sorts of things it was never designed to do! Sadly - the only pictures I have of it are on the day where I cleaned it up to sell it (i have a habit of destroying/drowning cameras offroad). An excellent bike though

The latest bike: cheaper, faster, better suspension, lighter, and with 6 gears in the box... but I still miss those big goofy tires that made everything easy as pie.

I am constantly wondering what a 180mm knobby rear tire would feel like on a 40hp bike?
*2003 KTM 250EXC - 'SJER/ECEA bike' **2003 KTM 300EXC - 'Rock Bike' **1999 YZ125/500cc hybrid - 'Adrenaline' **1992 DR350S - 'day tripper' **1978 YZ400 - 'Vintage Big Bore **1981 Kawasaki KL250 - 'Dad's' **1979 Yamaha MX100 - 'lost & found'
turbonotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #103
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVID1
How expensive is importing a bike?
Depending on the bike, it can be VERY expensive or impossible (if you want to get it on the road). Plus, you have to jump through quite a few hoops to get the necessary paperwork approved (federal and state) in order to have the bike plated legally.

TexBiker screwed with this post 12-07-2006 at 01:29 PM
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #104
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 505
Mine and the Wife's bikes.

Here are our bikes, you guys on the Kawasaki forums are probably getting tired of my pics, but its not all about you is it?

deej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #105
deej
Deej (Deric)

Oddometer: 505
More

Hmmmm I couldn't figure out how to post more than one pic at a time.
deej is offline   Reply With Quote